GreaseSpot Cafe

Sad, sad day in The Psalm home

Psalm 71 one

I've posted before (Long time ago) about my calico cat, Kelly. She's a gorgeous cat, part Himalayan/part dsh and part brainless. We got her 4 yrs ago when she was about 5 weeks old and she's been off-again, on-again on thin ice since. She pees in places other than the litter box. She can't handle car rides (Cries incessantly)

Today we are taking her to the Humane Society. We had made this decision 3 weeks ago, knowing she wouldn't do well on the trip to GA, but giving it time, in case we could find another solution. We tried finding her a home, but we couldn't lie about the peeing thing. we'd talked to the vet-- nothing wrong with her, it is a behavioral thing.

My hubby didn't want to spend and arm and a leg on her--(we're still distrusting over the way the vet bills ran up with our last two cats when we'd had the fire--$2300, with a 10% discount-- whoop-tee-doo. Then the male cat died two months later anyway, from a tumor that was there-- and noticeable, even by me, while they were treating him for the resulting pneumonia from the fire)

We feel we have exhausted the choices, waited 3 weeks after coming to the decision we would take her to the vet for a shot to put her to sleep, or the Humane Society--gave it time in case we'd find any other solution, and today's the day icon_frown.gif:(-->

My 7 yr old is bawling his eyes out. My 11 yr old and I are taking her to have the closure, but it is going to be hard. I've never had to do this before. We had another cat that peed, but we kept her anyway, it's the combination of the peeing AND the move-- Kelly's inability to tolerate the car ride, that pushed us in this direction.

I feel judged by some animal rights folks I had spoken to (and if ya asked these folks, they probably didn't think anything of taking a brain-damaged PERSON off her feeding tube to starve her to death icon_mad.gif) This wasn't an easy decision to make. it is one of the hardest things we've done. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Thank you all for the hugs and prayers, this was a hard decision.

Allan, at first ya made me smile, but then I thought, "but I LOVE Kelly"

WW, I beleive that too, we've prayed for her--that she doesn't suffer with too much confusion and that someone will be willing to take her and do the extra work she needs.

All I can see right now is her little face, looking up at me from her carrier as they took her away. She was meowing with her big scared eyes, and I was holding onto the door of her carrier, crying. The guy had to tug a bit to take the carrier away. I hope I NEVER have to do that again. I came home and shut down--went to bed and cried and slept and cried--I had to hide from the kids, cuz my 7 yr old, Ben wanted to believe Kelly was really happy there with the new cat friends she'd made. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I think this is worse than when our old cat, Stella died. She was 14 years old and her heart gave out, we had to put her down because she was suffering.

I'll always remember our dog Tris, the first pet our family ever had -- a boxer that I remember (as a kid) as always having been there. Tris got old, and couldn't hardly move, and my folks had to make the decision to *put him down*.

My brother and I were around the same age as your eldest, Psalmie, when Tris was going to be put to sleep. I remember sitting by the fireplace with him, my Dad, and my brother. We gave him all the love we could for one more night, knowing that the next day he would be gone forever.

It ain't easy. It never is. "Family" walks in the house on four legs sometimes, instead of two. And you miss them just as much, when they are gone.

I 'm so sorry you've had to go through this. I know my animals are my hairy children. And it's a heart breaker when you have to give one up. I'm the one that cries when we lose one. So I understand where you are coming from. ((((psalmie and family)))) love tcat

Oh, Psalmie. icon_frown.gif:(--> I'm so sorry for you and your family. Those critters crawl right into our hearts and stay there forever. That's one of the hardest things we ever have to experience in our lives, imo, no matter how old one is. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Psalmie, my heart goes out to you. We had to put our 10 yr old cat to sleep about a month ago after she had developed a massive kidney infection. When they did the tests and took x-rays of her at the vet hospital, they saw she only had one functioning kidney - which had probably been the case her whole life. Not that she showed it, or ever had a problem urinating.

Not being a cat person, she had not been my first choice for a pet, but mom and daughter prevailed. Of course, you know who got stuck feeding her, taking her to the vet, and cleaning the cat box (thank God she went in the box - I would have had fits if she hadn't).

But you know how cats somehow burrow their way into your heart, even when you resist it. When she'd .... me off, I would call her "Asswipe" with a French-like pronounciation (az-WEE-pay)and threaten to shave her butt and make her walk backwards. She'd just blink at me with a look that said, "Iloveyoufeedmenow".

She was on my daughter's lap when they put her to sleep, and it was hard to tell who was crying harder.

You never think you would get that attached to an animal...and then you find out differently.

So sorry Psalmie! Please don't allow other folks judge you about your decision!

You are a caring animal caregiver!

I also know what you mean about the bills. I've known people who have spent thousands on their animals operations, something that I simply wouldn't be able to do right now should something happen.

However, I still wouldn't doubt myself for one second that I'm capable of taking the best care I can of an animal.

So God bless your heart for what you have given to His creatures.

Psalmmy my dear an you too Pat....I gots twenty six acres fer em to run on.....bring on tha cats....me place is sort of like a restin home fer ole' animals....me twenty six year old cat gets along fine around here, and yer always welcome here too! My best wishes fer you an tha cat....hope all works out fer ya......just box up up tha cat an snd it my way if'n ya can't come.....I'll see that its treated better than garfield

Thanks again, for all your comments and stories--I cry about other people's pets dying too! darn those little furry critters fer crawling into your hearts like they do! but I could never have a "petless" home--it would be missing some warmth. Kevlar, sorry for the empty hole in your home right now.

My boys keep talking about how kelly must be sooo happy in her new home by now. . . I pretend that she's in a new home to them, too, but I figure it isn't true-- I went to the website of the shelter and she's not listed as one of the cats up for adoption. I can't talk much to them about how much I miss her--glad I can come here to dump! I just dumped in an email to a friend, figuring this thread was on the second page by now!

My hubby was able to shut down his emotional attachment to her way back when we'd decided we were gonna take her there-- I couldn't--I tried to, as she'd peed in a box I had just packed, but then she did her little rolly-"lookatmeimcute" thingy a couple hours later and how could I be mad at her? (it helps when ya can't smell, I guess!)

Hawk, She wouldna been happy to run outside anyway-- she was a scaredy-cat! But we'll come run around yer 26 acres when we go through KY on our way to Mi from now on!

Steve: I guess it's something I wouldn't know unless I'd be put to the decision. I've seen unfortunate situations like Psalmies where people have spent some serious money on their animals, and they died.

Too sum it up, you do the best that you can do at the time the problem arises. And I applaud people who do spend that kind of money, but I can sure empathize with people who just can't do it at the time.

Of course people can go overboard both ways. I saw one couple who was keeping a dog alive through blood transfusions for well over a year when the poor thing really should have been put to sleep.

And I've heard of people who put down a cat because it cost 50 bucks for an ear infection it got.

Psalmie: So happy to hear it looks evident your kitty got a new home! And I know what you mean about a petless home. It's so cold!