GreaseSpot Cafe

The near 50 and over Club

CM

I joined the AARP crowd last week. Funny, turning 40 was traumatic - but 50 was a blast!

I also feel like I'm still in my 30's - my late 30's! My kids are fairly young for someone my age - and they probably keep me feeling young.

I'm goint backwards from now on, though - next year I'll be 49!

my kids aged me.

its my grand children that keep me young!

seriously I was in my late twenties when I had my last children and I had alot of growing up to do.

Now with the new babies I feel like life has a new meaning and it is a good one!

I told my oldest daughter when she was pregnate(I was so excited and thoughtful about it much more than my own pregnancys, I said one day out of the blue "do not make me worry about my grand children."

I said it like a mom and meant it, directives are few once your children are adults(hopefully) In fact sometimes I giggle at the truama I remember going through and how serious it was to me, when I was raising them but now it seems almost silly, they should fuss so much.

grands made my life lighter, my own kids stressed me alot.

kids do help put a nice perspective on life , but a grand child brings new blood and hope to everyone... without the work and worry of tommorrow, because he/she is here.

It is BETTER!

oops sorry gushing new gramma on the loose.

Yeh...I confess to also being "over da hill"..BUt I am fortunate in that I play horseshoes with a bunch over 65 + and I'm the baby of the outfit..LOL..to me the key is to push this bod...as I play alot of V-ball & basketball besides the shoes..& the pain may be there at times, but I feel its for a long term investment in staying healthy. I'd LOVE to still be playing all three of these sports well into my 70's (my goal) & keep the hair that has a few grays in it.

Sad how the mirror always tells the truth eh?? LOLOL..JJ

i keep passing by this thread confused.gif but this is where i belong !!!! it's just hard to comprehend.

i distinctly remember working with a gal who was 35 and thinking it was nice to be working with an older woman.

age is strange. my mom is 72 and her first grandchild, my first niece, is turning 30 this summer. i remember holding her when she was born (i had just turned 19) my mother just keeps saying "wha hoppened"

when we get together at family parties now, the "older" nieces and nephews are all talking finance, investments, politics, and they're all making more money than we are !!! it's great, they're great. then we have a 2nd set of nieces and nephews for those of us who had our kids when we were old. our kids run around like maniacs and we sit around saying, "i'm too old for this s h ! t"

and yes when i get out of the shower i look in that steamy mirror and say "mom, is that you?"

quote:
Originally posted by gc:

quote:
Originally posted by johniam:

McDonalds DOES have good coffee.

Not! wink2.gif;)-->

gc (who is so particular about her coffee that she brings her own when she travels!)

GC -- I think I like you! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

When I travel -- I take my coffepot with me and pull into the waysides by the freeway, and brew a fresh pot or two on the spot. I get some strange looks there at the waysides -- but hey. We got coffee, the *high octane* stuff!

This happened the other day. I was at the dental surgeon's office and was told that I will take a lot longer to heal because of my age.

Then that same evening I went to target to the cashier and was talking about me buying a stuffed frog to put on my computer. She was amazed that someone my age would do something like that. But what really got her was that I actually chat on msn messenger!!!! banghead.gif She excitedly stated that she didn't realize people my age actually got on msn messenger. I told her that my mother even gets on it.... confused.gif

My daughter was with me and when I was going to the car to leave I asked her do I really look old? My gawd, I don't feel that old... icon_eek.gif

dmiller, icon_biggrin.gif:D--> High octane is right. I warn people about my coffee, It'll put hair on your chest and if you have any, it'll pop it right out! One of the tests for my fiance was, could he drink my coffee? wink2.gif;)-->

vickles, At work the other day this young gal was telling me how this OLD man was who had flirted with her. She said it was gross because he was sooooooooo old. I made the mistake of asking how old this geezer was. Her answer was, "almost in his 40's!" icon_eek.gif I can remember thinking that over 40 life was pretty near over. How different it is now that I'm knocking at 50's door.

gc

Edited by gcasey

quote:
dmiller, High octane is right. I warn people about my coffee, It'll put hair on your chest and if you have any, it'll pop it right out! One of the tests for my fiance was, could he drink my coffee?

There is one test, and one test only for coffee's strength.

Brew the coffee;

Pour it in the cup;

Stick a spoon in it;

If the spoon doesn't stand upright, the coffee is too weak.

icon_cool.gif

You guys are cracking me up icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Can't wait till I get some Grandkids to spoil.

I look at pictures of our kids when they were

soooo little and it brings tears to my eyes.

And yeah I am also known for strong coffee.

If you can see the bottom of the cup,

I call it tea. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I stopped at a yard sale yesterday and was looking though a box of LP's. Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Switched on Bach, I mentioned to the guy running the sale that these records looked just like the ones I had when I was in high school. He said "They were my grandmother's"

Speaking of the "about fifty" club.. I found Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool aid Acid Test at Barnes and Nobles. Read about halfway through it. I think I'm going through some kind of midlife something- if one of those funny looking busses pulled up out front I'd probably get on it, heh heh.

I was a little too young for the first one. My ma would've grabbed me by the ear, "and where do you think YOU are going??" heh heh

Some funnies sent to me today:

FAMILY

Three sisters ages 92, 94 and 96 live in a house together. One night the 96 year old draws a bath. She puts her foot in and pauses. She yells to the other sisters, "Was I getting in or out of the bath?"

The 94 year old yells back, "I don't know. I'll come up and see." She starts up the stairs and pauses "Was I going up the stairs or down?"

The 92 year old is sitting at the kitchen table having tea listening to her sisters. She shakes her head and says, "I sure hope I never get that forgetful, knock on wood." She then yells, "I'll come up and help both of you as soon as I see who's at the door."

LITTLE LADY:

A little old lady was running up and down the halls in a nursing home. As she walked, she would flip up the hem of her nightgown and say "Supersex." She walked up to an elderly man in a wheelchair. Flipping her gown at him, she said, "Supersex." He sat silently for a moment or two and finally answered, "I'll take the soup."

DOWN AT THE RETIREMENT CENTER

80-year old Bessie bursts into the rec room at the retirement home. She holds her clenched fist in the air and announces, "Anyone who can guess what's in my hand can have sex with me tonight!!" An elderly gentleman in the rear shouts out, "An elephant?"

Bessie thinks a minute and says, "Close enough."

OLD FRIENDS

Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades.

Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and

adventures.

Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a

week to play cards. One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me ... I know we've been friends for a long time .but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is.

Her friend stared and glared at her for at least three minutes and

finally said, "How soon do you need to know?"

SENIOR DRIVING

As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on Interstate 77. Please be careful!" "Heck," said Herman, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"

DRIVING

Two elderly women were out driving in a large car - both could barely see over the dashboard. As they were cruising along, they came to an intersection. The stoplight was red, but they just went on through. The woman in the passenger seat thought to herself "I must be losing it. I could have sworn we just went through a red light."

After a few more minutes, they came to another intersection and the light was red again. Again, they went right through. The woman in the passenger seat was almost sure that the light had been red but was really concerned that she was losing it. She was getting nervous.

At the next intersection, sure enough, the light was red and they went on through. So, she turned to the other woman and said, "Mildred, did you know that we just ran through three red lights in a row? You could have killed us both!" Mildred turned to her and said, "Oh, crap, am I driving?"

quote:
Speaking of the "about fifty" club.. I found Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool aid Acid Test at Barnes and Nobles. Read about halfway through it. I think I'm going through some kind of midlife something- if one of those funny looking busses pulled up out front I'd probably get on it, heh heh.

Make no left turn unstoned.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

I stopped at a yard sale yesterday and was looking though a box of LP's. Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Switched on Bach, I mentioned to the guy running the sale that these records looked just like the ones I had when I was in high school. He said "They were my grandmother's"

Now that makes me feel old. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I bought all those albums when they first came out. icon_eek.gif

I get these American Legion magazines, they are filled with geriatric products.

Walkers, prosthetic limbs, bags for strapping onto your leg if you dont have a prostate, ...

They really assume that everyone who is retired, is also really old.

:-)

I hit 48 next week so I guess I fit in. At band rehearsal yesterday it struck me that when I'm playing and singing I feel the same as when I was 18.

A couple of times I've been told "you don't look that old." How is one supposed to react to that ? The last time was when we took our son on a tour of Radio City Music Hall and I told thet guide I had seen Jefferson Starship there in the fall of '74.

quote:
Originally posted by TOMMYZ:

The other suprising thing for me is that I can look at women who are 50 and think they're hot, something I would not have believed when I was 18.

This is good to know, 'cause most of the time I feel hot and I'll be 49 come July. Maybe its just menopause coming on? wink2.gif;)-->

gc

quote:
Originally posted by TOMMYZ:

The other suprising thing for me is that I can look at women who are 50 and think they're hot, something I would not have believed when I was 18.

This is one advantgage of getting older. At 20, I wouldn't have looked at a 30-year-old woman. Now, women in their 50's look good; and guess what? So do women in their 40's, 30's, 20's, and (LATE) teens! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George