GreaseSpot Cafe

Smells of the Way

TheHighWay

I work in an old building. A very old building. Somewhere in its lifetime elevators were installed, and so the corner stairs don't seem to get used much. Every once in a while I get the urge to exercise my desk-job-bound legs and I take these stairs. And sometimes when I do, I am instantly transported to Rome City, IN.

There is just a certain smell combination of "old building" and "cleaning products" that takes me right back to the summer I spent cleaning the hallways of the Indiana Campus. I had some hard times on that campus, but I had far more good times, so it's usually not an unpleasant jump. (what was the guy's name who was in charge of housekeeping? he really tried to treat us decently)

The other smell I get hit with here is that of the polish that gets used to make the elevator metal all shiny. When the cleaning crew uses that stuff, I step into the elevator only to find myself in Founder's Hall at HQ. I was on the cleaning crew there for a year and polished many a metal panel. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring the pleasant memories the Rome City "trip" does.

I was just wondering, are there particular smells take you "back that way"?

TheHighWay:

"I work in an old building. A very old building. Somewhere in its lifetime elevators were installed, and so the corner stairs don't seem to get used much. Every once in a while I get the urge to exercise my desk-job-bound legs and I take these stairs. And sometimes when I do, I am instantly transported to Rome City, IN."

"Work in old buildings":

Do you or your work-mates ever feel that you suffer more respiratory illnesses than you should?

Mold in air-ducts can be a culprit. My wife [bonnie] suffered 2 heart attacks [one in November and one in December], they are now thinking that the primary culprit may have been mold growing in the air-ducts where she works.

The ducting has been tested by a EPA air quality company and they did find way too much stuff growing up there. Now we begin the process of getting her employer to re-emburse us for that portion of the medical bills that came out of our pocket. She had her first heart-attack while at work. Even though I am military, so the military's insurance [Tri-care] covered some of the expenses, we did have to pay a few thousand in partial payments for various treatments.

'Old build' air ducts need to be cleaned routinely. And those filters are not a joke.

Yes, I know that I am starting an 'off-thread' rant. I apologize to the 'Off-Thread' Police, but it is important.

Now back to your regular thread topic.

:-)

"Smells effecting memorys":

I really dont smell much, I think. Perhaps the chemicals used to manufacture atomospheres on-board subs are at fault. Everyone has always complained that every item of clothing that I ever took under-water carried a strong smell, and most of my uniforms have to be stored in the garage due to their smell.

But yes it is my understanding that smell is often strongly connected to memory.

:-)

I didn't spend any time at any of the TWIt locations to have any smell memories, but I do know they are awfully powerful.

One of my favorite smells in the whole wide world is old house, cigarette smoke and fried food all combined together. Smells like my grandmother's house and it takes me back to growing up and her love and the great times I had with her. My favorite restaurant here not only serves food like she used to cook, but also has the same smells. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Gross to some, but I love it!

There's a deodorant commercial on nowadays where these 2 college age girls are sitting at a table talking and 2 guys are in the next room going ape over a sports program and part of the 'going ape' has one guy run in the room where the girls are and give one girl a spontaneous hug. The picture freezes on the girl getting the hug wearing an ecstatic grin and then the narrator says that smell is the sense most tied to memory.

For me my memory is triggered by the smell of marijuana. I used it from '70-'78. Don't smell it much anymore, but last summer I saw the Dead at an outside venue. This place doesn't even allow cigarette smoking in the seats we were in. I even saw Ozzy Osbourne 2 yrs ago there and one time smelled it ten feet away from me for a couple minutes. The ushers there are pretty good at staying on top of that stuff, but were no match for a Dead crowd. The last hour of the show I could smell it constantly. Next day I had a headache.

The only other strong smell-memories I have of twi are: cleaning out the chicken wagon the week after ROA (oh... my... gawd) and of course, Iowa Beef (for all you Emporia fans.) But I have never smelled anything like those smells anywhere else but there. (thank you jeezus!!)

The smell of Murphy's Oil Soap always reminds me of TWI. I'd never used that cleaner before Rome City, and it has a very distinct smell. (What is that -- creosote?)

You're not gonna believe what brought that smell memory back one day. A few years ago, I was renting a house that was infested with carpenter ants. They mostly left us alone. But one day each year, the winged males would swarm on my front porch. By the hundreds! One time, I tried stepping on them. They gave off a very pungent, distinct smell -- Murphy's Oil Soap!

Gawd, the ants reminded me of TWI!!! (Your own punchline goes here....)

wink2.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Shaz