GreaseSpot Cafe

Business forum

pawtucket

Would you be interested in seeing such a forum  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a forum like this?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you want to have your business involved?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

I have had a number of GSers approach me asking if I would open a forum for those of you self employed. I had something years ago called something like, selfish self promotion.

This would be along the lines of individuals starting a thread giving info on what services they provide or products you sell. I am not sure how specific we should get with this. But for now, I would like to know what kind of interest there would be in this. (There is also the possibility of branching this into a seperate web site showcasing products.)

That would be nice, but Paw - I think you should charge a fee to advertise this way.

Small businesses need to know that 'it Pays to advertise', and 'nothing is free'.

Besides the IRS allows 'Advertising' as a tax deduction.

I also would like your idea to include 'help wanted', and 'in-home business' opportunities.

Thanks

It would be interesting to see what people are doing for business, but I would maybe start to feel they are chatting, PM'ing or being nice just cuz they were "chatting me up" to sell me something. It seems better to keep the ex-twi purpose here seperate from any business dealings. We all learned how to network ... I'd rather not have to sort out who is working me for a sale and who is genuine. Of course, there are other times when people aren't genuine I guess ... (eg. ego, revenge, whatever) but why add salesmenship to the mix?

And what happens when someone is an unsatisfied customer? Then there are flame wars over how so and so got screw... um ... the wrong size screw. :blink:

The exception would be if the guy running the site wanted to sell something ... that would be fine since there is time and money involved to run this site, and I would maybe buy that toothbrush from paw, though I'd prefer it had more than one bristle ;)

is the clock off, message says 3:45 but it is 1:45 central time ... or are you in bermuda? :)

Edited by rhino

Paw-

I think it's a great idea. There are many talented folks here who been sharing idea's amongst each other which im sure they are grateful. There are alot of talented folks.

For, my line of business involves revealing financial information. Everyone at some time needs to refinance or purchase a new home, or even build new homes. I wouldnt have time to chase false inquires either. But, I would love to help folks and would want them to trust me. I had a link set here and removed it because was afraid someone would go the website and put in false info...I think there are passerbuyers who could do that, ...maybe screening first would be a help..Just some of my thoughts.

Thank you Paw for considering this for us.

Rhino--please, I wasnt trying to sell you Solar equipment!!!!!! haha! But if you need a small busiess loan for a Winery, I can help ya!

:unsure: :dance:

Ha... OK, thanks

Actually at first I thought it would be a place to list my wine juice for sale ... then I thought ... anyone I chat with will think, in the back of their minds B) , that I'm chatting partly 'cuz I'm leading up to trying to sell them some juice. A loan for a winery, hmmm ... I'd have to be a micro winery ... maybe I'll just keep selling the moonshine :drink: and avoid the gummint ... lol I'd forgotten about that solar site ...

I really want to know if they are getting $88 for The Living Word Speaks as listed at Amazon. I'd let mine go for $85, and donate a 15% commission to Paw. :) Maybe I'll list it on Amazon. $44 for JC our promised seed, and JC our Passover , signed by author for $49 at abebooks.com

Anyway, I don't care if people sell their stuff here ... it might be interesting.

The holidays are comming!! I love buying homeade items for gifts. I have half of shopping done.

You said your wine is red, anyway to turn it into Spiced Wine? Its wonderful heated. I would add it to my gift baskets for Christmas. I would make a label expressing your name.:)

send me a PM if you would like. we could talk more.

Donating to Paw- thats very thoughtful

Edited by likeaeagle

I figure a business forum would likely get as much traffic as the Decaf Politics forum. I kinda like Shell's thought on a Health forum however.

As most the GS folks are getting on in years (read that "maturing") health issues begin to come more into play. There seems to be more chat and threads about health than there are concerning business. That would seem to indicate to me that there is more interest in the health topic.

As for my business (construction/remodeling), I don't travel to do my services so my role in a business forum would be to offer advice to homeowners hiring others, or to do it yourselfers. Both of those could just as easily be done on a normal "open" thread should anyone be seeking such info and help. Post a thread or come to late night chat and ask away.

I had already clicked the vote yes for a forum ballot, and couldn't uncheck it. Must be a republican county here. (maybe I should move to Florida and get voting lessons). Anyway, I am ambivalent towards a business forum in reality. Would check it out and see if I could be of free service somwhere in it. But then, as my karma says, my advice is worth everything you pay for it.

~HAP

I like the idea. I checked that I would want to include my own business, even if I don't have one right now! heehee! I have really enjoyed Act2's thread about starting a home-based business, and learned a lot. I think keeping business in it's own forum would be a good idea. Anyone reading there can choose to find out more or not, or buy or not--and it wouldn't be bothering people who don't choose to go there. I think it won't get lots of trafiic, after everyone has read the beginning threads, but I know I would go there occasionally to check.

Rhino, you do have a point-- anyone trying to recruit for their network marketing probably IS being friendly with a veiw to recruit you. They see it as "helping" you, if they are really sold out to their business. I went that route and it did become the main reason for chatting-- I'd look for the chance to plug in my solution to their problem! If anyone does get involved in one of those network marketing things and then ends up with negative thoughts about it, yeah, it CAN get nasty. I hope that wouldn't happen. :mellow:

But as for products, it could be a good place to connect. Buyers looking for stuff, sellers selling stuff. I think disputes should be handled between the seller and buyer and not brought out "in public", but that probably won't happen! <_<

I also like Shell's idea of the health forum.

I like the idea. My husband is self-employed, and we are also planning to start another business, and it would be very helpful to have a place to discuss and share ideas. We much prefer to spend our $$ with small business whenever possible, and a place where we can get acquainted with each other's endeavors sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...