GreaseSpot Cafe

SO what was the Way Corps taught to think about the Rank and File

templelady

I've always wondered

What did they teach the Corps about the "rank and file" You know, the not so wealthy, average family, who wasn't going to go WOW, who faithfully attended Fellowship, was there for chair stringing etc, whose ABS was just as spendable. But what were we really thought of. Were we important or just so much grist for the mill --our usefulness being for gathering in others who might go Wow and then Corps?

At the time that I was going to get married (to one of those that you discribed), I was a 2x wow vet, advance class grad, yada yada yada. I was dicouraged by the bc, who was corps from getting married because he was "beneath" me, thus I wouldn't be able to consider him as head of the house.

Edited by moony3424

I was taught thtat God's people were precious and that with the respect and trust came a great responsibility to lead with wisdom. Now, I got all that from all the teachings I heard about King Solomon in his early days, as well as from specific teachings.

I do believe that there were other messages put across alongside the truth stated above. Messages such as: "Only those in the Corps are really worthy of respect." and, "Corps should marry corps." (this was stated specifically.) But for the most part I was directly taught to treat all of God's people with respect - as I would want to be treated. I was taught that I was the one who should be on alert for the adversary's trckis and that I was to be a servant to God by serving His people.

I'm sure that that could be twisted into anything sinister - but I never chose to twist it.

Corps should marry Corps.

That is frustrating the hale out of a lot of single women in now, yet they are too waybrained to figure out that God IS trying to answer their prayers. It just won't happen in twi for the most part.

I got a WC friend on Staff right now who WILL NOT give up her Corps commitment unless she finds a man who is at least willing to go in the Corps. She has had quite a few disappointments. I would think that would not happen in GOD's ministry. I hope she figures it out. It's sad to see her not getting her heart's desire. She missed out on a really good guy before she went in residence. He told her flat out he wasn't going in the Corps. It froze a really good relationship. But she chose her priorities. It's too bad it really isn't about serving God. It's about a ministry.

When I went to a corpes promo....I heard lcm teach that anybody who WASN`T corpes were *just a bump on the log* spiritually speaking.....(his words)

He also stated uncatagorically that he refused to ever hang out with anybody who WASN`T corpes. He only wanted to be around people who were that committed to God.

The rest of the body of Christ was certainly not good enough for the mog to ever *hang out* with....

Funny isn`t it? We were not worthey of the mogs presence....but he sure didn`t mind spending our money or utilizing our tallents or to utilize us as a labor force <_<

Funny, I remember LCM getting some tixs to a big golf game...

(forgive Chas - she knows NOTHING about golf) - it was like a big tournament or something --

Anyhow, he certainly didn't seem to mind rubbing elbows with the worker ants then, did he?

If he STILL feels that way, I wonder how he must loathe himself, since he is no longer MOG, WC, and not even a lowly HHFC - he's NOW a bump, too!

(And that's a compliment!)

Funny, I remember LCM getting some tixs to a big golf game...

(forgive Chas - she knows NOTHING about golf) - it was like a big tournament or something --

Anyhow, he certainly didn't seem to mind rubbing elbows with the worker ants then, did he?

If he STILL feels that way, I wonder how he must loathe himself, since he is no longer MOG, WC, and not even a lowly HHFC - he's NOW a bump, too!

(And that's a compliment!)

Yeah, Chas.......that was the annual Masters Tournament in Athens, GA.

Not only did lcm mind rubbing elbows "with the worker ants".......he also rubbed elbows with those unsanctified, worldly people throughout those four days.

My, oh my........he gushed all over himself trying to find something noteworthy to teach us about his "worldly experience" and how it benefited him. Seems that he really learned alot about "attention to detail"........the flower beds were immaculately kept, the grass was manicured to perfection.''

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, Chas.......that was the annual Masters Tournament in Athens, GA.

Not only did lcm mind rubbing elbows "with the worker ants".......he also rubbed elbows with those unsanctified, worldly people throughout those four days.

My, oh my........he gushed all over himself trying to find something noteworthy to teach us about his "worldly experience" and how it benefited him. Seems that he really learned alot about "attention to detail"........the flower beds were immaculately kept, the grass was manicured to perfection.''

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just one more example they did not practice what they preached. I actually believe they did or do not believe what they taught us to believe.

I don't remember specific teachings about how we were supposed to treat people, but the basic attitude was overwhelmingly one of:

Whatever level a person is at, they need to get more committed...

If they are a newbie, get them into the class

If they are a class grad, get thim into the advanced class

If they are an advanced class grad, get them to the WIBP

If they've been to the WIBP, they should be coordinating a fellowship

If they are capable of coordinating a fellowship, they should be going WOW

If you go WOW, you have real Way Corps potential

If you've graduated from the Corps training, you ought to be capable of running a branch

Now, looking back, it's such a SUPERIOR attitude. It uses people. It thinks nothing of what is best for the individual and their family. It considers NOT the concept of the one body, with each having their own best gifts... It just smacks of the selfishness of the organization as a whole.

The implication was always "if you're not corps, then you're a schmuck"...

I recall lcm chastising people, telling them that if they couldn't cut the mustard in the corps program, then they should just go home and "go to twig"...as if he was leveling the supreme insult at them...

...This attitude was contagious. It fueled the arrogance of corps people. To your face, they would be nice (sometimes)...but behind your back, they thought of you as some sort of spiritual cripple, unable to find your foot with both hands. The waytree was a place where you looked down on anyone perched below you in the hierarchy.

The implication was always "if you're not corps, then you're a schmuck"...

I recall lcm chastising people, telling them that if they couldn't cut the mustard in the corps program, then they should just go home and "go to twig"...as if he was leveling the supreme insult at them...

...This attitude was contagious. It fueled the arrogance of corps people. To your face, they would be nice (sometimes)...but behind your back, they thought of you as some sort of spiritual cripple, unable to find your foot with both hands. The waytree was a place where you looked down on anyone perched below you in the hierarchy.

Well, I don't remember being taught that ... I knew some corps that came later that were real jerks ... maybe after VP was dead that happened more ... if anything I think the corps was used as servants to bring in money for the elite ... being a doulos for the lord meant being slave for the way :confused: ... anyway ... maybe I WAS trained to be arrogant ... I know the folks in my branch liked me a lot better than "force his will down their throats with intimidation Gil" that came after me ... you have to look at people as individuals, even those dam corps :evilshades: ... but that was another life ... thank God.

I've always wondered

What did they teach the Corps about the "rank and file" You know, the not so wealthy, average family, who wasn't going to go WOW, who faithfully attended Fellowship, was there for chair stringing etc, whose ABS was just as spendable. But what were we really thought of. Were we important or just so much grist for the mill --our usefulness being for gathering in others who might go Wow and then Corps?

what an interesting question

i don't remember ever being taught that "regular" believers were "lower" but i do remember being taught that we were corps damn it and dah dah dah..... crack troops dog soldiers etc etc

i agree with the dog part

without a doubt the way ministry had a hierarchy

but honestly templeladydear i never felt so much crap like until i had the privilege of going corps :)

it was very confusing to want to be all that you can be for the army i mean the way corps, then feel like dung, and then be told you're special

does any of this make sense ?

i doubt it, it never made sense to me

mwah

mwah

mwah

What an interesting question you ask, templelady...

I honestly don't remember being taught anything specific about relationships too much while in the corps. I remember alot of rah rah and hype about "running to serve" and being a "doulos doer of the word" and other such meaningless "mo-tech" types of things. But in my mind, I always translated it into hosting a home fellowship. I actually believed the propaganda about being a twig "coordinator" -----not "leader" mind you, when I graduated.

Honestly, I never had any dreams of grandeur of being an "important somebody" in "the ministry" when I graduated. (Please just ask anybody who knew me when) I had a passion for a profession that I had invested alot of myself in, and honestly went into the corps thinking that I would be able to work at my profession (interior design) and host a home bible study type fellowship at the same time.

Silly me. :asdf:

I come from a very large, Catholic type family who were very close. When I got involved with TWI, my siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and yes even neighbors followed. And these "regular believers" were the ones who sponsered me in the corps and payed my way. I always felt indebted and grateful.

My best friend in the corps, who is now my sis-in-law, came from the same situation. Most of her family, extended family, friends, neighbors, friendly pedestrians, etc. were just "regular believers" as well.

So upon grauduating from the corps, of course we failed miserably, as far as moving up in the chain of command. (Just ask White Dove :) )

We were too "invested" in our families and the people in our twigs, to climb the food chain.

Hence our demotion (by our own choice) after spending a few short years as almighy "corps grads."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this experience.

Please don't misunderstand me, though. I'm not trying to come off as somebody who was totally unaffected by the whole arrogant mentality of the cult.

I was just as much of a jerk as the next way corps person.

I just became really unhappy with myself and the circumstances and left before it got unbearable. I could still look myself in the mirror, and sleep at night. In fact, when we finally left in the mid 80's, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I started enjoying life. "Regular believers" included. :dance:

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but it seems to me that alot of the people who stayed after the great purge, did not have the same sensibility. I don't mean regular believers, I mean the high and mighty. :evildenk:

I never did go corps.

Matter of fact --- I never wanted to.

BUT ~~~ I did want to enroll in University of Life.

While sitting through a replay of the 79 advanced class (in 1981), run by Bo R****d,

here in Minney-soda, in Minneapolis,

A *workshop*/*question and answer* time was held about U of L.

The over-riding question all in attnedance had was:

U of L is meant for those who cannot go corps. What defines *cannot*??

Bo picked me -- as the first person with their hand up,

and I asked the question that was on everyone's mind.

To make a long story short -- we there at that meeting were made to feel more *spiritual*, since we were considering advancing ourselves. Again -- it was the twi *rank and file* agenda coming into play -- (IE -- you are better because you want to know more) syndrome.

No -- we were never told we were better than *rank and file*, but from what I remember --- it was pretty strongly implied.

And if we got into U of L, we were expected to be leaders.

Well --- I never was a leader, and my reason for not going corps??

I told them I didn't want to. Never had, and never will. :)

Guess what -- I was accepted into the U of L program.

The implication was always "if you're not corps, then you're a schmuck"..

Now Now Groucho, be nice. Not all Corps were like that - maybe all the corps you knew were like that , but I never was and I knew an awful lot of Corps who weren't like that

I just have this thing against sweeping generalities - makes one sound like LCM himself - or any other memeber of the BOT. I'm fairly certain that you aren't in either category, Groucho :wave:

Edited by doojable

In reading these responses, I feel that it was the mindset of the student not the teacher that determined how they learned the lesson.

I personally heard that the followers of the way were to be treated as god's heritage, and so, that is how I treated them. I do remember other more "financially motivated" descriptions. but I remember thinking to myself, "what a dildo so and so is to say that."

NOW, if you want to discuss what was TAUGHT, and what was LIVED by the teachers........that is another whole story. :realmad:

Radar

which reminds me ......I would rather SEE a sermon than HEAR one any day.

Here is the edit....it is more of an afterthought..........

While I personally had thoughts of "that is so screwed up you dildo.........." and went on with my twi "training" :blink: , there were many people (such as my dearest soul friend and mate) that said "F...U and I am outta here." I personally never even considered that option. I was completely bamboozeled, and believed that the stupid dildo teaching me was just having a bad day, or was one of a few bad apples.

I in no way mean to degrade people that behaved like I did or in other ways..........it is just my personal feeling.

ror

Edited by Radar OReilly

My 2 cents:

Not all Way Corps were arrogant pr*cks. When I first came in, I hung out and was friends with one (he's been out almost as long as me). There was also a family where the married couple were Way Corps and they never raised their voices when they taught or dealt with their children. In fact, in my first 2 years, most of the folks that went with to the Limb Meeting or other activities were pretty cool. It wasn't until my last year, when Way Corps from HQ (dare I say, Blind LCM wannabes) arrived, the &$*# really hit the fan.

All the backgossiping, confrontations and bickering plus going to a teaching was no fun and no longer fulfilling as these HQ Nazis made a point that it is mandatory to tithe; it is mandatory to be formally-dressed (long sleeve, pants, shoes and tie) for SNS and Twig meetings when before it was all casual and laid back; on SNS meeting (phone hookup BTW), we had to stand up when the MOG came on the stage as if we were present at HQ (I never quite understood that one).

You won't believe how gossips and misunderstandings got around like if I say something outside of twig, someone heard me and tells someone else and then tells someone else and finally telling the Twig Coordinator, who then talks to me about it.

Another time, I overhear them saying crappy things about someone behind the person's back, but when they are together, they put that fake smile, fake pleasantry and fake acting like friends.

Jeez... No wonder these folks don't have a life 'cause all they are doing is making things harder for all of us.

In reading these responses, I feel that it was the mindset of the student not the teacher that determined how they learned the lesson.

Reading this post, and thinking things over ---

I have to agree.

It was more me than them,

even though it was them that

got me to that point in my life.

I was the determining factor. :(

dmiller's post about the U of L experience he had struck a chord for me...

TWI, and pretty much any manipulative organization (cult) for that matter, sets up barriers of elitism so that members can feel superior once they cross the next barrier. Just the fact that words like "foundational", "intermediate", and "advance" are used in the names of the classes, it also seems that the titles of the classes pigeonhole the student at a level of expertise. In otherwords, your value is only as great as the level of class you have achieved. Additionally, you're not supposed to discuss what in a class, "You'll find out in the class," you're supposed to tell curious, future students.

So, a food chain is established before a person even enters the WC.

Let's even look at the term "Way Corps" - it's taken from the name "Marine Corps" right? The Marines are known to be the first in battle, the first on the beach, right? So, the Way Corps are the first in the spiritual fight, or so it is implied by the name and how it's connected to the Marine Corps' name. As the Marines are trained to think they are the ultimate fighting machine, so are the WC (or they were, at least.)

What about when someone left TWI? It was considered a big loss if they were WC - even worse if they were ordained - but if it was Joe Twigger there was a totally different attitude. It was like, "Oh, well. No big deal!"

They used people on so many levels - not just to get places or for personal gain, but to just make themselves feel better about the sorry excuse for a so-called MOG that they were (are!) - sometimes I just wanted to force feed some WC their stinkin' green nametag - sideways and dry!