GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Radio is coming

pawtucket

Whats your connection speed?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your connection speed

• Dial up
    • Hi Speed (DSL, Cable, Fiber Optic)

For the past three years, I have been toying with the idea of taking "Your Story" and doing it in an audio format.

One problem was logistics. GS does not have a private jet to whisk me around.

Another was quality of the sound doing it over the internet. I tested various methods and none worked satisfactorily.

In the past 18 months, a thing called Podcasts have swept across the internet. Along with it, methods that deliver quality transmissions.

So I have been experimenting for the past couple of months and finally felt comfortable with the results.

I asked a number of people if they would be willing to be interviewed and set one up this past week.

I am going to make it a show with some interesting features and have an interview as the main feature.

I am editing the first one now, but took a few bits out for you to sample. Here it is

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/audio/gsradio.mp3

all comments are welcome, this is a work in progress.

Edited by pawtucket

This is Wicked Cool! There's gonna be great information...great learning...AND most of us can make a cd out of it (if we get permission) which means that nobody really needs a computer to hear it!

I don't think it will make as much money as satellite radio, though.

The Interviewer dropped his voice a few times near the end of sentences and it was a bit hard for me to understand what was said. But the Interviewer's voice is very easy to listen to and has a sense of sophisticated appeal.

Ok, I finally figured out I need to point winamp or whatever mp3 player to that URL, but the buffering due to my dialup is screwing things up. Can the file be downloaded to my computer to be played later?

I don't much mess with .mp3, so my experience is like non-existant with them. Guess I gotta find that round TUIT and look at various DSL/cable connection options.

What parts of the interview I get to hear are clear.

Ahhhh, never mind, now it is working, I just had to wait.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

go to the link and right click and save target as to download

ok, that works too! and can listen anytime , thanks.

Crystal clear, gonna be a great interview, and is SOOOO cool to hear what people really sound like instead of my imagineered voices from their typed posts.

~HAP

cooooool ... nice common 'tater voice paw , except it sounds too much like those PBS guys for me , so kinda makes me gag a little ;)

great idea though ... i'd have to check my settings to see if I could d/l lower quality for my rural dialup ... but didn't take that long ... hearing the voices really makes the net experience more real ... two thumbs up ... :dance:

lcm said stay off the internet? ... lol, first I heard that ... the last audio just kicked in ... I miss my MTV cable modem

I enjoyed it after the half hour or so it took to download.

Back here in the woods, all we have is dialup and, most likely, it's all we'll have for at least 20 years.

We just got private phone lines in 1996, and the city water is still a year off, so DSL is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line.

Enjoyed it, though.

VELLY-VELLY COOL!!!

You two sound so professional and articulate. It's great to listen because it's quicker than reading and some people will be more likely to share information they don't have to type out or fear will be too long for someone to read.

Thanks so much, Paw!! Thanks to you, too, Chas!