socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chatty,

Pardon my ignoranceness here...but who is that girl on the pic or the father for that matter or both???

I'd take a guess...but I'm sure i'd flub it up real good.

Sorry I haven't been around much...that holiday season is upon me now and I haven't got a moment free lately!

I will be back .... I will I promise!

Evan... nice ... very nice... would it be possible to get a whole album of your stuff??? do you have any recordings?

Y'all are a hoot!

He told me they didn't have any nut extenders but he said he played a dobro

and he didn't think I needed one either. :unsure:

Huh???

Dobro's have a VERY high nut, so no extender is needed.

Dobro strings are already higher off the fingerboard than the acoustic guitar string,

so naturally he wouldn't need one, whereas you do.

But -- are you hearing a rasping sound, when you use your slide

down around the first coupla frets or so?? Lord knows I do, on my Martin ---

if I try to play slide, with nothing to get the strings *up there* clearing the frets.

It's irritating as can be.

Sorry -- but I feel that if you are going to play slide,

YOU NEED THOSE STRINGS HIGH -- ESPECIALLY AT THE FIRST AND SECOND FRET!

(My IMO) I can't understand how he would equate a dobro, to an acoustic guitar played via slide.

It's not the same instrument. Adaptions need to be made.

The techinique is the same -- but the axe isn't.

The guitar (my guitar), has low to medium action on the strings.

I'm guessing yours does too, a little higher than an electric axe.

Even so -- the strings hover just above the frets, and pressing down on them with a slide,

and getting *quality* notes from it -- means pressing down with the slide,

and if you have no extender on the nut to raise the strings --

your bar is gonna come in contact with the frets, and give an unwelcome raspy sound.

Totally detrimental, and unwelcome in your playing.

Noise you DO NOT NEED.

I know for a fact mine does. What was he thinking??

Ha! Guess what I just did. Yup -- you guessed it.

I got out the guitar, loosened all the strings, slid the nut extender in there

(which I think I said I'll never use again) under the strings,

and tuned to an open G chord.

I don't like the sound using the bar even with this thing on. Doesn't get the strings high enough.

even at the 3rd, 4th, and 5th fret -- I get that ^&*^&*^&* buzzing sound. :(

But -- forget my woes. I've got the fiddle to fall back on. :)

Good luck to you, and your endeavors.

Ps --on a side note (no pun intended) ---)

My guitar is set up for playing rhythm at square dances (fiddle tune back up),

and for flat-picking lead solos (at bluegrass sessions) ---

so I'm gessing my strings are set higher than yours,

Mine is LOUD --which is what is needed for me when I pick it, at either session.

But my strings are still too low for this thing (extender) for my comfort ---

when I install it, and try to play slide stuff.

Maybe your best bet (if you're comfotable with it), is to get a new nut entirely.

One that is high enough to get the strings WAY above the fingerboard,

and outta the way of those frets beneath.

The only problem with that is -- unless it is an easily interchangeable nut --

you'll render your acoustic unplayable for acoustic (regular playing) music,

and relegate it to slide only.

Over the past month, I had pulled out a no-name, old 12 string semi-hollow, sunburst electric guitar that I've had in my closet for years. Its body style a 335 copy. It ended up with me years ago through a friend of a friend of a friend. Strange how some guitars end up finding me. I hadn't messed with it all that much because it never stayed in tune. Which is why I think the previous custodians never did that much with it either, and passed it on. But it has a helluva sound, a certain, jangly "mojo".

I finally learned earlier this evening via ebay what kind of guitar it is. A Univox "Custom" 335 copy made in Japan dating circ. 1968 if not earlier.

I'm thinking that a change of machine heads might do this instrument wonders (The machine heads on there are ancient for goodness sakes, and were probably cheap back then) - I'm thinking of switching to some Grover Rotomatics. Any other suggestions for machine heads/strings for a guitar this age? the neck and fretboard are straight, and the action good. Changing the nut in this is probably overdue too.

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Ps --on a side note (no pun intended) ---)

My guitar is set up for playing rhythm at square dances (fiddle tune back up),

and for flat-picking lead solos (at bluegrass sessions) ---

so I'm gessing my strings are set higher than yours,

Mine is LOUD --which is what is needed for me when I pick it, at either session.

But my strings are still too low for this thing (extender) for my comfort ---

when I install it, and try to play slide stuff.

Maybe your best bet (if you're comfotable with it), is to get a new nut entirely.

One that is high enough to get the strings WAY above the fingerboard,

and outta the way of those frets beneath.

The only problem with that is -- unless it is an easily interchangeable nut --

you'll render your acoustic unplayable for acoustic (regular playing) music,

and relegate it to slide only.

I don't want to alter it unplayable so I think I'll find a source outside of this town and get a nut extender. Hmmm maybe Rick's source will have one. I'll check and see or perhaps do the logical thing and order one on line. :rolleyes:

Even with the rasping sounds I still love it but I did stick a pencil under the strings and that did improve it a tad.

You have been a great help David, thank you for that. :)

Over the past month, I had pulled out a no-name, old 12 string semi-hollow, sunburst electric guitar that I've had in my closet for years. Its body style a 335 copy. It ended up with me years ago through a friend of a friend of a friend. Strange how some guitars end up finding me. I hadn't messed with it all that much because it never stayed in tune. Which is why I think the previous custodians never did that much with it either, and passed it on. But it has a helluva sound, a certain, jangly "mojo".

I finally learned earlier this evening via ebay what kind of guitar it is. A Univox "Custom" 335 copy made in Japan dating circ. 1968 if not earlier.

I'm thinking that a change of machine heads might do this instrument wonders (The machine heads on there are ancient for goodness sakes, and were probably cheap back then) - I'm thinking of switching to some Grover Rotomatics. Any other suggestions for machine heads/strings for a guitar this age? the neck and fretboard are straight, and the action good. Changing the nut in this is probably overdue too.

Danny

What a beauty it must be though and I agree with Waysider you should keep everything original if you do decide to alter it.

I'm in the market for a nut extender :biglaugh: oh yeah you need a overall nut redo job :biglaugh:

I just had to say something y'all.

Danny - you might want to consider new pickups - those are always a nice little gift to a guitar...

Japanese craftsmenship is usually pretty good - I like the current machine heads - they fit the guitar. It has mojo, ya know.

New strings are the most inexpensive change you can make - well worth the money.

Also, cleaners made especially for guitars can help - check Fender's site for some of those, or check with your local luthier shop.

Beautiful guitar - reminds me of a Gretch - nice burst and nice binding - sweet.

Grover makes nice machine heads.

I've a set on the '68 Martin D-35 (they came stock), and they work perfectly.

The best set of tuners in the house though, are on the 1917 Gibson F2 mandolin.

They're Handel inlaid tuners, and work flawlessly -- even if they are 90 years old. :)

I think I posted a pic of them on page 11 (or so) of this thread -- but here they are again.

Gold wire inlaid with mother-of-pearl into the tuning pegs, making a flower and vine effect.

And the machining for the practical use (versus the aesthetic looks), wasn't compromised.

35255_f2_tuners.jpg

Here's how they look on the full pic of the mando ---

35255_f2_full_front.jpg

Another thought about your guitar NOT staying in tune, Dan ---

Meebe an adjustment in the truss rod??

Dunno -- just a suggestion. :)

Edited by dmiller

Wow. This could turn into a side business for you ChattyKathy. Nut extensions. :unsure: :wink2:

Interesting guitar Invisible One. You might want to check the screws on the bolt-on neck. Give 'em a turn to make sure they're seated in. Every once in awhile I run across a guitar where the screws get a tad loose over time.

Yah, you might consider a pickup modification - Rickenbacker pickups in one of the positions might be interesting - HERE, Toaster pickups - no crumbs!

Ric's laid out for all to see HERE.

Rici's Schematics and stuff HERE

Piickup to string height adjustments:

String Height Adjustment with cool photos

I use Jim Dunlop Formula 65 Polish/Cleaner for simple, non-invasive maintenance of guitar finishes. I've also tried the GHS Guitar Gloss and it worked well. For fretboards I'm on Yamaha's Lemon Oil, although I don't think the brand matters much. This was cheap, works fine.

What fun, looks like a worthy investment of time and love.

Edited by socks

:) We'll both need notes!

I was going to ask on your Mando - the pickup guard, what kind of material is that? Looks sweet.

I had a very interesting guitar loaned to me, I'm changing the strings out and making some adjustments on it so I'm kind of in a Rickenbaker mood. It's a Ric 560, like this one - Oh Yeah.

I've never played Rickenbackers much, never owned one. This guitar has a through the neck design, with oiled wood "wings", solid unfinished.

The strings are old, but from the second I played it, I was enthralled and quickly impressed. It's small, both in body and neck and it plays really well. The intonation is true, top to bottom. It has a very well made Fender style vibrato, but more mass to it and it's smoother.

I've plugged it in and the sound is Rickenbacker, and with the 3-way pickup selector it's possible to get some nice sounds. This guitar has a little more 'beef' to the sound than I expected. On the neck pickup, no treble rolled off, it sounds really sweet. I didn't expect much sustain to be honest but this bad boy sustains for days. :dance: It was hard to get anything done tonight I had planned, I kept going back to it for "a few more minutes". It's become one of life's little surprises. I'm almost of the mind that a Rickenbaker something like this would be a great guitar to wrap myself around for a few years. Dunno, it's a weird change, mentally. And my financial adviser tells me Christmas is planned. :biglaugh: But 2007 is just around the corner.... :biglaugh:

Edited by socks

Rickenbackers -- Man did you ever pick at, and open an old wound there. :(

No fault of yours, but I used to have one, but not no more.

Back in the '70's, a friend of mine had more instruments than he could handle.

(This is a good thing -- for other musician friends of folks like this.) :)

He had a Rickenbacker 12 string, he never played anymore, and *loaned it* to me

(what was originally thought by myself) ---- permanently (he said he didn't want it anymore).

I had the pleasure of using that guitar for about a year, when I heard about a job opening

for a guitar teacher, and knowing he needed work, referred him to the store offering the job.

Upshot of it all is -- he wanted the Rickenbacker back, so he could teach 12 string guitar to one student.

When he said he wanted the guitar back, I balked. But he made it known in no uncertain terms,

that that was HIS guitar, and I'd better deliver.

Sadly -- I had to comply. Sweet memories. Sweet guitar.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Loves won and lost. :(