GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airplanes! Flewing the coop are we? Cool. I hope you took some extra peanuts, a lot of these airlines don't give much more than a snack fit for a munchkin! Hope all is going well.

So much going on...I've had to give my '57 Gretsch some serious love on it's finish over the last few weeks. It had developed a discoloration on part of the top, making it kind of fogged. It was the polish I'd used, and I can't remember which it was, think it was Martin. Martin's is fine, but I think it reacted against what was already there, which I can't remember. At any rate it looked pretty funky in parts.

Took the strings off, and did a light cleaning with a moist cloth over the whole body. Let i dry for day. Then took a new bottle of GHS polish. It's a whitish liquid, put some on, buffed it off when dry. Put a 2nd light coat on, and rubbed it out, and then let it dry, etc.

Took about 5 applications in spots before it started making any difference. So I gave it a couple days to set, and started over, lighter coats. I've given the whole body 8 or so extremely light coats of polish and it's back to normal! Will give it one more and should be done with it. From here on out, no polish at all, except for maybe once a year or so. It's starting to get a real nice deep glow back. It's happy, I can tell. :)

Wuddelse.....ever had a song project you've worked on for years? I've been working up a version of "Misty" that's been simmering a long time. I really, really like that song. I assembled several versions and used the Johnny Mathis version (probably most well known) as the template, as I love his voice. I'm finally finalizing the voicings, mostly taking stuff out now and it's ending up as very simple, much simpler than it's been at times. (I'm sure if it were a person there have been times it wouldn't have wanted to be paraded around in what I was putting on it!) But it's coming around now. It's such a beautiful song.

maybe someone here can answer this. i saw a clip of the killers on some vh1 show last night and one of the guitarists was playing what looked like an old 335 with a fender neck. i think it might be a Coronado, except it had a maple fingerboard, and every Coronado i've found online has rosewood.

here's a pic. any thoughts? thanks!

post-1682-1166807579_thumb.jpg

Idiot Jam

Couldn't find the video, but the audio is still up. This was simply an open mic at a gathering of old fart acoustic guitar players of varying skills. My two tracks are a Brazilian piece by Paolo Bellinati and an arrangement of At The Cradle by Grieg, alovely piece. I wish the playing was sharper...not ready for prime time. The recorded sound is very nice, though.

Scroll down to my name for my tracks.

Edited by TheEvan

No kididng, bluzeman! very nice evan, I especially like the second song. Leo and Galen Anway are having fun, too! :)

bluzeman, nice music! What are you playing on that? Love the other tune you sent too. Such a su-wheet tune.

Not sure sprawled out - does look like a coronado but the headstock - not sure.

Ana Vidovic is great! Nice stuff there. Facile - Isn't that guy on the Sopranos...Frankie 'The Phone" Facile?

Edited by socks

Socks-----The logo appears to say "Fender" but the headstock is rolled backwards from a typical fender.

Miro Frets had a similar headstock, though there does not appear to be a "miro-nut" and there is still the problem of the logo. I checked out Dave Keuning on the web and this is not one of his listed axes.

maybe someone here can answer this. i saw a clip of the killers on some vh1 show last night and one of the guitarists was playing what looked like an old 335 with a fender neck. i think it might be a Coronado, except it had a maple fingerboard, and every Coronado i've found online has rosewood.

here's a pic. any thoughts? thanks!

post-1682-1166807579_thumb.jpg

Tres facile!

Sprawled - that is a Starcaster. The guitarist from Radiohead plays one. It's from the late 70's and sorta a holy grail. This is the last one on my husband's list of "must have this ax" - he's got most of his wants already.

Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcaster

By the way, if you go to the beginnings of this mammoth thread, you'll see where I wrote about it and posted a picture of it - Starcasters are beautiful and have an awesome sound.

Edited by ChasUFarley

OOPS!---------The avitar did me in. I thought the question was from Socks(I should have known better)

Thanks, Sprawled, for posting that pic. and thanks to Chas. for solving the mystery. I'm still puzzled by the color though. It appears green in the picture. Do you recall anything about the color from the VH1 broadcast, Sprawled? I'm also suprised to find that this axe was such a recent project of Fender. I would have guessed late '60's.

Wow, tough room! I didn't think it was THAT bad. :blink:

Rick

Bluzeman --- well I liked it!! :eusa_clap:

Found the link when I got home from work today, and just now heard it.

Question -- are you playing that "slide guitar style",

or on your lap like a dobro? Either way -- it sounded good. :)

Starcasters came in black, vintage white, sunburst, and natural. Any other colors were after-market changes. The one in the pic is a sunburst, for sure - it's not green but I can see where you'd think that because of the smoke/dry ice effect in the pic.

BTW - these pups go for about $2,500-$3,500. If you go on eBay, check for listings - sometimes there will be one up for auction. They're tres rare.

Edited by ChasUFarley