GreaseSpot Cafe

Why post at GSC about TWI

templelady

GSC was not designed to be politically correct, It was designed to let TWIers of what ever stage in their lives say what they think.

I have noticed a trend this last few weeks to try and make those of us who have legitimate complaints about our treatment at the hands of TWI, or the treatment of friends and loved ones, "tone down" our comments and opinions.

Balderdash, If you want to disagree with my viewpoint, Great. If you want to post your own ,vastly different experiences , great. If you want me to tiptoe around you and your pro-TWI stance so as not to hurt your "itty Bitty Feelers" forgidaboutdit!!!

I did all the tiptoeing around TWI, from the years 1982-1989 that I ever intend to do. You who expect this to be an afternoon tea party full of whispered gentility --YOU HAVE COME TO THE WRONG PLACE. The very nature of this forum and the nature of the posters thereon, means that there are many sides and many strongheld points. Post as you will, but when you face the rebuttals that will surely come, do not think that I for one will be impressed by whimpering cries of "foul", by those who display a complete lack of regard for my feelings or my experiences.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the :CUSSING:

... and here I thought I was suppose to be nice :biglaugh:

Maybe it's a personal issue... for me, I'd rather not offend at this point, but maybe next week I'll change my mind.

There are those that avoid conflict at all cost... mainly for their health~ mental & physical :wave:

Templelady - did you get the appropriate permit for that post?

signed, Permit Clerk 25

Permit Clerk 25

For a person who lets their plethora of birds deposit guano as they please you seem to have a lot of time on your hands

Rebellious homeowner

(Ya have to have been in the Silly forum to appreciate this folks :biglaugh: )

As it should be Karmic

It's not the posts per se I object to

It's the Indignant cries of outrage that occur, when the post is taken exactly as the poster meant it when they posted. Once the firestorm descends on their respective heads, then the cries of harassment, lack of level playing fields, discrimination, disrespect ad infinitum ad nauseum come forth. By page three the original thought has long been buried under the mountain of demanded apologies, backtracking, heel digging, and hand wringing.

I don't care which side you are on, or even if you are happy straddling the fence. Everyone here knows what buttons to push, everyone here knows what the mores of our society are. When you post; knowing that your words are hurtful, knowingly push buttons, knowingly casting aspersions on the character of other posters; then run crying to the moderators and post virulent character assassinations that leave your responders close to tears--that is the time , in my book--that you should be told if you don't like the heat in the kitchen you shouldn't have started the fire in the first place.

No more of this, "posters are afraid to post here" happy bovine excrement they sure aren't/weren't afraid to post when they are/were extolling the virtues of the unvirtuous to the skies--they were/are only "afraid" ( of what , pray tell? like we're going to reach through our ISPs and punch them!) when they were refuted and confronted--classic bully behavior.

And for those of you, you know who you are, who figure you'll garner points by being smarmy "peacemakers" who twist and turn to whichever way seems to garner the most posts, stabbing friends in the back just to appear to be better tha you really are--Every wind of doctrine is as applicable in the real world and in other situations as it ever was between the covers of the Bible in a scriptural sense.

Edited by templelady

I am guilty of asking the Modishwasher to remove something I said about John L.

It offended someone, they PM'd me, were very upset.... :( which upset me... yup, I'm a wuss~

Now, it's not that my opinion has changed at all, I saw what I saw, heard what I heard... and maybe it will be told in a more fitting place another time.

The fact is, THERE WERE MANY ROBOTS functioning within the walls of TWI. Maybe these people visit the Cafe now, I don't know.

But, the robotic/idiotic things I've done with the teachings I believed from TWI have caused pain to some people. So, if it were exposed here, it would seem fitting to at least acknowledge my idiotic-ness... since I don't ever recall DOING anything to purposely hurt anyone~

Shellon explains nicely the workings of the Cafe... she has a keen sense of what to do or what to avoid... and has helped me realize we're here to expose crap, not please everyone.

I think in the heirarchy of sin in TWI, it was worse to be resentful, or emotional, or hurt, or upset etc because of the actions of leadership, especially mistaken counsel or reproof, than to give the wrong counsel or reproof. You were supposed to get over it and obey, even if the leader was wrong.

Carry that attitude to GSC, then it is worse to post about the bad things that happened to you in TWI, than to have been one of those leaders that hurt people.

Could also be part of the TWI blame the victim mode--if you had bad things happen to you, it was your believing.

Alright, Sloopy, potty and others, when did Just silly forum happen to drop down here and where did you all get those ridiculous aliases? btw, I know for a fact that Raf's 'secret ID is a weatherman because he told me so. :biglaugh: :blink:

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

"I have noticed a trend this last few weeks to try and make those of us who have legitimate complaints about our treatment at the hands of TWI, or the treatment of friends and loved ones, "tone down" our comments and opinions."

I must have missed this trend. What I have seen were some threads that suggested we could slow down and ask questions to make sure we understood what other posters were trying to say and some discussions which ultimately reminded me that everyone who posts here is human, has feelings that can get hurt, and is valuable to the board.

"If you want me to tiptoe around you and your pro-TWI stance so as not to hurt your "itty Bitty Feelers" forgidaboutdit!!!"

I see this a little differently than I once did. Now I look at this and remember how little concern we often had for other people's feelings while in TWI. We were to "Reprove" first and worry about feelings later. I hated being treated that way in TWI, I don't wish to treat people that way now that I am out of TWI.

"do not think that I for one will be impressed by whimpering cries of "foul", by those who display a complete lack of regard for my feelings or my experiences. "

It goes two ways, Mo, perhaps those you are referring to here feel that some of us have a comlete lack of regard for their feelings and experiences. See, earlier you talk about not being concerned about hurting someone else's feelings and later you talk about how others lack regard for your own. It just seems to me, we should have regard for both - our own and someone else's.

I have not seen anyone suggest we should not expose TWI on the forums. Nor have I seen it suggested that we should not post opposing opinions, experiences, and viewpoints. I believe the arguing and debating that goes on here can be healthy and educational.

What I HAVE seen, as I stated earlier in this post, are some suggestions that we think about what we've read, ask questions, and have some care in how we respond.

I have no problem with the disagreements.

What I continually have a problem with is the tendency - which stems from the anonymity of the Forum style of communication - to really say things that are much more hurtful than we would ever say in person.

I for one will not go back to treating people like dirt ( although I'm not sure I was a Corps nazi) nor will I EVER allow myself to be treated like dirt again.

There is a civil way to argue. There is a godly way to have and show anger. There is a way to disagree and not take the person DOWN - while also stooping to a level that no person get to.

There is a lot of disagreement here - fine. We are adults and we can be responsible.

I'm not pointing any fingers - I don't really get involved in the frays as much as I used to.

We're here to expose crap, not please everyone.
Not everyone is here for the same reason as you Mo. I'm here to expose truth be it the fact that things were sometimes F'd up or be it that sometimes things went well. In 17 years I experienced both ,and either one does not negate the other. Each is a separate experience much like each is a new day. Maybe posting about a good experience is not meant to "start a fire in the kitchen" as you say. Perhaps they are sharing only their truthful experience. Perhaps you see that as Pro TWI because of your mindset, when it really is just a truthful account of ones experience.

Speaking of truth:

No more of this, "posters are afraid to post here" happy bovine excrement they sure aren't/weren't afraid to post when they are/were extolling the virtues of the unvirtuous to the skies--they were/are only "afraid" ( of what , pray tell? like we're going to reach through our ISPs and punch them!) when they were refuted and confronted--classic bully behavior.

The truth is that not everyone has developed a calloused thick skin. As Safari said There are those that avoid conflict at all cost... mainly for their health mental & physical. there are other reasons also but the truth is there are some that don't/ wont post because of the grief it's a fact and their choice.

Lack of level playing fields

A quick look around the board will tell you that the majority of the posts are negative regarding way experiences the minority are the good that people experienced. I would expect this as such, due to the nature of the board Other Exway people that have moved on in life in other directions and generally hold a (as you say) pro TWI view do not frequent this cafe. Many have read here and figured what is the point? The message sent is pretty clear. They are not going to change anyone's opinion even if they wanted to which I doubt they do. What is to be gained is a lot of typing and grief.... Who needs that ? Which is why this will never be a balanced board or level field. Not the end of the world either..... just as long as you don't pretend it is something it is not.

And for those of you, you know who you are, who figure you'll garner points by being smarmy "peacemakers" who twist and turn to whichever way seems to garner the most posts, stabbing friends in the back just to appear to be better tha you really are--
Hmmm...I'm one who tries on occassion to be a "peacemaker", although certainly not a smarmy one. :evilshades: