GreaseSpot Cafe

Plea agreement reached for Robin's death

dmiller

My sister Robin (as most of you know), was killed last year in a hit-and-run accident. She was a mother to six, and grand-mother to 3 (at the time), and was 44 years old. Her oldest child is 27, her youngest is 12.

Last week, a plea agreement was made, and though I am not too happy about it, here is the story from the Bloomington Indiana Herald Times (Wednesday August 23, 2006) concerning what is happenening -- with the case.

Plea agreement reached in hit-and-run death

Kevin Moore expected to get four-year sentence in death of Robin Pfister

by Bethany Nolan

331-4373 bnolan@hearaldt.com

A plea agreement has been reached in the case of a Bedford man charged with leaving the scene of a July accident in which a local woman was killed.

Kevin Moore, 46, is expected to plead guilty to felony charges of leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death and obstruction of justice in return for a four-year prison sentence, court documents show.

That's four years for leaving the scene charge, plus one year served concurrently for the obstruction charge, court documents show.

In addition, a term of suspension for Moore's drivers license will be left to the court's discretion.

Moore had been set to face trial in October. Now, a change of plea and sentencing hearing has been set in his case at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 21.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Jeff Kehr declined comment Tuesday, while defense attorney Ron Chapman couldn't be reached for comment.

Moore was charged after police said his vehicle struck 44 year old Robin Pfister as she was walking to her car from a garage sale along South Old Ind. 37 between Bloomington and Harrodsburg.

The obstruction charge stems from a request police said Moore made to relatives the day Pfister was killed, asking them to burn the clothing he had been wearing.

Pfister's sister, Renee Miller said Tuesday she was aware of the plea deal.

"It's been tragic for both his parents and our entire family, an it will be sad for my sister's six children, my parents, my sister's husband, and me for the rest of our lives," she said.

So -- there are the facts of the case (for those of you that have asked), though there is no mention of of his being drunk at the time, nor is there mention of his domestic rage at his wife that precipitated this entire episode.

Mr. Moore can thank his *lucky stars* that I am not closer, and that the cops got to him first.

Robin -- (bless her heart) -- would be the first to say -- "We all make mistakes".

I wish I could say that sincerely ~~~~~~~~~~~~

So sorry to hear, David.

Would you consider going to the sentencing (or having a member of the family go) to speak up on your sister's behalf? Perhaps the family member could emphasize that he serve every day of his 4-year sentence, and that his license be suspended for life. That way, at least he gets a life sentence of a sort, which will impact his ability to work, shop, and socialize.

Heck, if most of you could show up, it would send a strong message to the court that this guy severely impacted a family.

And his drinking at the time of the accident should figure into the sentencing phase. Be sure the prosecutor brings that up.

These are just suggestions -- I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Do what seems best for the healing of your family. I just think I would heal better if I felt I had made a public statement, and perhaps helped keep this guy from doing it to someone else. (In my own accident, I found out a bit about the driver's background -- she made a mistake that cost me my car and my health for a bit, but she wasn't drinking or drugging.)

Take care,

Shaz

It sounds like Robin was a beautiful person. I sure her corner of the world is better for her having passed through, even for such a short time.

Love to you, and your family.

I am so very sorry for what you and your family have had to endure.

The only true satisfaction would be that her death did not occur, especially under such circumstances.

Life is not fair.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Kindest regards.

dmiller---------Thanks for giving me a glimpse of what Robin was like. Some people live to be 100 and never have as much impact on the lives they touch. I'll bet she was as proud of you as you are of her. The first year is always the toughest because there are so many "firsts" without that person, the first turning of the leaves, the first snowfall, the first Christmas, and so on. Some day we will understand it all but for now we have each other and a pretty cool father who knows our hearts.

I'm so sorry to see the state of Indiana is still giving out ridiculous sentences to those who kill the residents of that state. 2007 will mark the 30th anniversary of my 1st husband's murder. The perp did a whole 5 years in prison for 2nd degree murder. I more than know what you must be feeling right now David.

I had hoped that after all these years, Indiana would have changed and started to get harder on criminals. Your sister's case shows it's still business as usual for them. I'm very angry reading the deal they let him get. It's just not right.

DMiller, so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. And it really sickens me to see such inequity in the justice system...Thanks for sharing the heart and life of your sister on the In Memoriam thread.

David, I am sorry that is all he got. But he will have to live with Robin's death for the rest of HIS life. If he has a conscience at all, it will bother him.

Anyway, passage of time does seem to help when a loved one is killed, imho. It has been over 4 years since my brother David was killed.

God bless the Miller family.

Thanks to all from myself, and my family.

While putting the whole thing behind us (so to speak), now it has come up again.

One part of me wants to forgive the guy, and the other part wants to see him behind bars forever.

Would you consider going to the sentencing (or having a member of the family go) to speak up on your sister's behalf? Perhaps the family member could emphasize that he serve every day of his 4-year sentence, and that his license be suspended for life. That way, at least he gets a life sentence of a sort, which will impact his ability to work, shop, and socialize.

Heck, if most of you could show up, it would send a strong message to the court that this guy severely impacted a family.

And his drinking at the time of the accident should figure into the sentencing phase. Be sure the prosecutor brings that up.

Shaz -- good points. Renee (my other sister) has made it a point to be at each and every hearing that has happened so far, and she is VERY vocal about things that affect her personally.

And as far as the drinking goes -- that was never proven, since he was apprehended much later -- and too late to do a *sobriety* test on him. The fact that he had been drinking is only *hearsay* from his wife, with whom he had a huge civil dispute immediately before the accident, and drove off in a rage.

None of that is admissable in court since they didn't find him soon enough ( or for whatever reason),

and the court is dealing with only the facts that directly concern the case -- legally speaking. :(

If he serves the entire jail sentence -- I think we will have to be content with that.

Sadly -- my nieces, Robin's grandkids and other members of the family, will have to deal with it for life.

Thanks again for everyone here's prayers, and wishes. I'm done talking about this now.

If a Moderator would lock this topic, it would please me.

Thanks, and God bless to all who responded..

David