GreaseSpot Cafe

Kroikeee!!!

J0nny Ling0

Yeah....So sad.... I have always love the Creatures myself. When I was a kid, I had a veritable zoo in my basement bedroom. Turtles, frogs, snakes, a Florida gator, lizards, salamanders, and a couple of aquariums of tropical fish as well. Also an aquarium with as many of the local fish that I could find. Crawdads, tadpoles, the works. Also a pet coon, crow, muskrat, and various birds.

And so, I always enjoyed the Croc Hunter, and I enjoyed turning my kids onto the show. Sad that he is gone... He was a cool cool guy.......:(

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung by a stingray in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty.'"

I also add my sorrow and prayers for his family and loved ones.

Adding to the invisible one's observations...

I think its a classic example of "he who lives by the sword..". I remember one episode where he was single handedly catching an African black mamba snake in a village where all the residents had the good sense to get the heck out of town. Did he have anti-serum just behind the camera, I wondered? Was there a doctor present that was skilled in resuscitating victims from lethal Black Mamba snake bites? As if that would have been just a whole lot of help.. Here's a little about Black Mamba venom from Wikipedia..

The venom of this snake is extremely toxic. Its bite delivers about 100-120 mg of venom on average, however it can deliver up to 400 mg of venom; 10 to 15 mg is deadly to a human adult. Mortality rate is approximately 100% unless the snakebite victim is promptly treated with black mamba antivenom, which is rare, expensive, and generally only kept on-hand by people who anticipate the possibility of encountering a black mamba...

I knew about this dangerous snake when I was watching the guy cornering a black mamba in a tribal hut somewhere in deepest darkest Africa. Catch it he did but afterwards even he admitted as to how nervous he was which made me ask.. why the heck did he do it? He could have used a shotgun and just killed the thing outright but no.. he had to catch it by the tail, capture it, and transport it to an "unpopulated" area in Africa.

I liked the guy. He seemed like he would have been fun at an Ole Miss pregame party in the Grove but he lived a dangerous life and surely knew that if he kept doing what he had been doing... his luck was going to run out someday. Rest in peace Steve.

sudo

Yeah, I loved his enthusiasm, but the thing with holding his kid while taunting the gator was kinda out there. I s'pose it takes someone living on the edge to make those shows, but it is too bad he couldn't have slowed down a little once he had the kids. He could have lived a long life doing great wildlife stuff if he could given up being the adrenalin junkie. But he sure lived large. :wave:

My heart goes out to his family, especially his wife and young children.

However, I thought he had a very cavalier attitude around wild animals, which I was concerned would be picked up by the children who watched him. We have a Wiggles video of him, and although he certainly has a love for animals, I think he took some unnecessary risks all in the name of 'shock value', from what I could see on his TV program.

My concern is that a kid might try to imitate how closely he got to a wild animal - thinking "since The Croc Hunter did it, I can do it." We always have issues in the spring with just this sort of thing happening - a fox or bear or whatever will come out of hibernation or be sick, and out in broad daylight - which is the first clue something isn't right with the animal. There have been incidents with children getting bitten by animals, as we have no animal control officer in our area.

In short, I don't think this guy was a great example of safety around these animals. He met his end in a very freak accident - something that shouldn't have happened - something that has very low odds of happening. As another poster said, I'm not really suprised by this, I'm sorry to say.

I heard some DJ's on a morning show making fun of him and calling him a freak and an idiot this morning. I'm sure his wife and children will get to hear a lot of this kind of attitude in the coming days.

He did what he did because he loved the animals so much. Yeah, it's easier to blast a dangerous snake, but it has its place in the world, too, I guess.

I remember when an ancient crocodile in his zoo was found dead and he cried like a baby. The croc had been a gift to him from his father when he was about 10 years old. He was responsible for taking care of her.

I didn't always agree with him, but I always enjoyed watching him. Few people are as enthusiastic about their vocation as he was.

All I could think of today was

Crickey that hurt!

I loved watching Steve talk about and then handle the animals he was telling us about. his philosophy of understanding the animals pov helped solidify a union between us (man) and them (our pets, animals and nature and each other). He showed us just how interesting and compelling nature could be and how much fun it could be if you were willing to step outside normal bondaries and take chances. My most perfect vision of Steve was when he almost got bit by a pet gator and then went on to explain on real tv why it happened