GreaseSpot Cafe

LCM - anything good to say?

Twinky

THE SPOONERISMS

When I woke up from my first surgery (brain surgery), I was in ICU. The surgery had begun at about 8:am and ended around 6pm. At 11pm I started to wake from my drugged and unconscience state. The headache was like nothing imaginable (morphene is a wonderful drug).

The ICU nurse would increase my morphene drip upon request and had to check my vitals every 15 minutes or so. Around 2am there was a shift change. The new nurse came in, got breifed, and the former left. About 3am my headache was starting to throb again. At my request, she came over to tap on my drip and check my vitals. It was at that moment, her hip accidentally brushed my bed...............RIGHT WHERE MY CATHETER WAS ! ! ! ! ! !

I almost sat straight up in bed. Of course, I gave a huge moan at the same time and my headache suddenly was worse than ever. She apologized and from then on, for the rest of the night, every dXmn time she approached my bed to check something, I would tense up. Sure enough, she hit it a second time. I barked at her with some foul lanquage and instructed her to stop hitting my catheter.

Around 10am I was wheeled to my private room. On the way, I asked the orderly for the name of that nurse. He gave me her name (we'll call her nurse Enable) and I instructed him to bring me her supervisor.........STAT.

The supervisor was in my room in about 10 minutes. I was seething when she entered. After a head injury such as this, it is difficult to grab your mind.......somehow........I did. After introductions, she asked if I had something to say about Nurse Enable.

I'm not known for tact, but I was able to find it at that moment.

I said, " Nurse Enable is probably a great nurse and a wonderful person with the heart of Mother Teresa. BUT she should NEVER TOUCH the catheter of a man who has never had one. In fact, even if he has had one, it's probably not a good idea. I then recounted the events and I had never seen a more compassionate person empathize with me. She indicated her regret and assured me she would discuss the matter with nurse ENABLE. I explained I had no desire to get her written up or in any trouble.......I just thought someone should say something to this young thing.

The supervisor left and I went back to getting myself heal.

The next day I was starved for company. Some other nurse came in and asked how I was doing.

The conversation went something like this.

Nurse: "How are you today"

Me: "I think I'm fine."

Nurse: "Great! ! "

Nurse: "Do you know why you are here?"

Now was my chance to get even with all the nurses of the world.

Me: "I had srain burgery"

Nurse: "Excuse me?"

Me: "I said........I had srain burgery 'cause I had a train bumor..........stunderand shat I'm wayin'?"

Nurse (stopped dead in her tracks with a look of 'OH SHXT! ! ! ' on her face): "Can you say that again?"

Me:"Stunderand shat I'm wayin'? I had srain burgery 'cause I had a train bumor, I guess now I wix up my mords. KOA?"

She looked me dead in the eye and asked me if I was doing that on purpose. I got a big smile and said,

"Yell heah".

Nurse: STOP IT! ! ! ! I was just about to call the doctor! We watch for things like that after brain surgeries.

For the next two days attending nurses would bring in friends to observe my Spoonerisms. My hospital stay turned into a vacation of sorts.

Seven years later, the tumor had grown back, requiring another surgery. In July of '97 I went in and the surgery was a failure. The attempted to go in through the top/front of my head and couldn't reach the tumor. The closed me up to make another attempt 6 weeks later.

Six weeks later, the surgeron went in under my top lip navigating under my sinus cavity.........REAL INCONVEINENT! ! ! !

After both surgeries, I was able to pull the same stunt with new nurses.

Each time, I was grateful for the education LCM gave us in Spoonerisms.

I still use them today. The wife hates it! ! ! But it never fails to get a laugh.

Since Corps Training provided me no useful skill for which to provide a living for me and my family, I do still miss those lunch-time jokes LCM told.

I am guilty of still considering that most of what he taught regarding "seed" was very right-on. It seemed to go overboard from time to time, but it was still 10x better than what I hear from the radio preachers. They don't have a clue for the most part and still seem to think that if you are not "right with the Lord" when you die, you'll go to hell.

Yank thou mery vuch

Edited by YIdon'tgotochurch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now was my chance to get even with all the nurses of the world.

Me: "I had srain burgery"

Nurse: "Excuse me?"

Me: "I said........I had srain burgery 'cause I had a train bumor..........stunderand shat I'm wayin'?"

Nurse (stopped dead in her tracks with a look of 'OH SHXT! ! ! ' on her face): "Can you say that again?"

Me:"Stunderand shat I'm wayin'? I had srain burgery 'cause I had a train bumor, I guess now I wix up my mords. KOA?"

She looked me dead in the eye and asked me if I was doing that on purpose. I got a big smile and said,

"Yell heah".

:biglaugh::eusa_clap::biglaugh::eusa_clap::biglaugh::eusa_clap::biglaugh:

Yank thou mery vuch

The gurdawad's the gillawad!

Holy cow... I can't believe I forgot about this... he was hilarious when he really got going... anyone know where he picked up this form of pig-latin?

I must admit he could be very inspiring when he was just being himself in some after-meeting with the corps. When he wasn't trying to impress everyone... Unfortunately, those few moments were so completely overtaken by the multitudes of times he was a self-important, angry, pompous a$$, I actually had to think awhile before I even remembered them.

Not reading all that is posted so comment might not be applicable. But come on to a degree...Hate the sin, love the sinner. I think that's the hardest part with stuff...and has a forgiving aspect also. Jesus forgave in a lot of things. Just hate the sin, but not the sinner. If you'd been put in that position with all the power, you might think how you would react, but doesn't mean that is actually how you would. Love the sinner but hate the sin.

I recall once,

when I went out on lightbearers while I was in the 9th Corps in Oklahoma City. Out of the Corps I was working and I hurt my back. I went to the doctor of medicine for the pain in my back and received inflammatory medicines but no pain pills. I suffered with the strain in my back.

That night we had a presentation for PFAL and I told Rappi Pascorosa I would fall asleep if he bullied me into sitting in front of the class. He did make me sit in the front and I did fall asleep.

When I got back to Emporia, I was called on the carpet in front of Craig Martindale about my actions. He said to me that they were going to excuse me from the Corps. I explained the story to him and I said You will not kick me out of the Corps. I will not leave on this incident but will stay. I said you would have to carry me out of the grounds over this.

That night in a meeting to the Corps Craig spoke that we should never allow anyone to squelch us out of the Corps and he emphasised this to the resident Corps. This is my positve statement on this thread.

I got married in fall of '88. The guy who married us was at HQ so 2 weeks before the wedding we drove down for the weekend to finalize plans. During the weekend we attended the SNS sitting in the front row. IMMEDIATELY after the service ended LCM made a bee line for us. He noted that we were not normally at the SNS and very politely asked who we were etc. The exchange lasted less than a minute but he just wanted to make sure we were having a good time. He was cool to us. Hmm. That was not long before the fur really flew.

Ya know, it has been said that even Joseph Stalin had his good points. He loved his daughter.

Heh! This would be like someone starting a thread about "Hitler - anything good to say?"

And the point that would be ... ?

<_<

Just fishin' to see what's out there... not much.

I think this great sense of humor must have about disappeared by the time I got to rez. He could be jolly but it was a sort of "eggshell humor" - always wary about what might be coming next.

Okay, anybody got anything else to add?

1. he's the guy we love to hate!

2. it was nice of him to give us so much ammunition to use against him.

3. his massive brow kept the sweat out of his beady eyes

4. if you had any doubt, he proved that Lord Acton was right ("power tends to corrupt...")

5. went out of his way to chase away anyone with even the tiniest shred of independent thought. (most people would've calmed down, made nice, tried to hold on to what was left. not him.)

Just fishin' to see what's out there... not much.

Okay, anybody got anything else to add?

Well,I don't think it's a very popular thing around here to have too much good to say...I don't thing the man would have held the position he did without having something going for him...When people speak of LCM now,many years after being under his leadership,if nothing else,I would think at least some sort of curiousity would be aroused as to 'what happened to the guy?'...No different than if you ran into an old highschool chum pushing a shopping cart down the street or going to jail for embezzlement...

I knew him when I was a teenager and he was a 'lightbearer' in my hometown...He took me out witnessing about 3-4 times,and while I stared in awe,he witnessed to everything that moved...At the front door of the Jack-In-The -Box,the bowling alley,to my parents---it didn't matter,he was there to get a job done....In those days four corps members were sent out to get a film class of 20 people together in two weeks(called lightbearers)...They got their class together,and when I knew LCM in later years,I always thought that if nothing else,the man paid his dues...

I always thought Craig kept sort of a distant eye out for me,since he knew me when I was such a punk....He treated me well and I have no personal quarrel with him...I thought his ministry policies were getting way too over the top as he continued in his presidency...That,and some local "I am of Paul,I am of Cephas,I am of Christ" type of schisms were what pointed me toward the exit door...The sex stuff I found out about much later...

But,geez,Even Father Flanagan said "There are no bad boys"...I think there definitely was a point where he got too full of himself and maybe his M.O. went from being energized by youthful zeal to being consumed with his own power and having a sense of entitlement....Who knows?...I still think it's an interesting topic...

"How to Be a Good Finder"

I listened to his "Four D's of Doulos Doings" over and over again while I was on the WOW field.

I found it very helpful.

I enjoyed many of his teachings, but most of all like someone said...He was NOT boring! Who knew what he would do or said next?

He raised three very wonderful children.

He had a crazy sense of humor that kept us laughing many times.

True, every evil person in the world has had something going for him. Maybe the god of this world backing them up even..

But what is also true, is that the Bible clearly states there is no power but of God, and the powers that be are allowed to be from God..

Trust me, if God didn't "allow" the devil to be, he wouldn't be! It's as easy as that. Or do some think God is not powerful enough to not "allow" him to reign?

Either :

A) God allows evil to reign (for a good reason of course)

B) God has not enough power to stop the evil from reinging (Why do we we even call him our God then?)

C) God is too busy and just isn't priority to stop him (Must be the Deist resting somewhere - Go wake Him up)

D) God doesn't know (Umm, again, why do we call Him our God?)

Every good thing cometh from the Father above. And the evil that exists, I believe really does serve a purpose for now, and much can be gleaned and learn from it. If not how to do things right, but maybe how NOT to do things wrong! From this I gleaned much from LCM.. A great teacher in what NOT to do..

Maybe had I not learned from him, I'd be just as prideful and egotistical and self-centered/righteous and everything else as he USED to be. (I say used, because I don't know him personally any longer, and everyone CAN change if they so choose)

HIghway,

You posted:

Yank thou mery vuch

The gurdawad's the gillawad!

Holy cow... I can't believe I forgot about this... he was hilarious when he really got going... anyone know where he picked up this form of pig-latin?

The history of Spoonerisms:

A Rev. Spooner took the first letter of a group of words and switched them around. This was back in the 1800's in the Carolina's or in Virginia. Anyway he did an entire sermon with this technique and hence this form of lanquage is called "Spoonerisms".

Just in case I'm wrong, the name could have been, Rev. Spoon.

That's all I've got to say about that.

TrustAndObey, (interesting nick ya got there <_< )

I would be willing to bet that you got (as in distorted) this:

Either :

A) God allows evil to reign (for a good reason of course)

B) God has not enough power to stop the evil from reinging (Why do we we even call him our God then?)

C) God is too busy and just isn't priority to stop him (Must be the Deist resting somewhere - Go wake Him up)

D) God doesn't know (Umm, again, why do we call Him our God?)

from THIS:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (from Epicurus)

so, if he is allowing evil to rule (for his own 'good reasons', doncha know ;) ) then he is either not onmipotent, ... or he is malevolent, ... or he is the cause of the evil, ... or he just ain't God.

And since your answer is A in your list, given with the excuse that he 'has a good reason', ... and comparing your list with Epicurus' list,...

..... then that must mean that basically the evil comes from him. Right?

So, how does that make him righteous and pure, aka the verses in James (you know, the ones that talk about him being "The Light, and in Him is no darkness at all" and all the others that portray this?)

<_< Maybe this is what is meant by "the devil is in the details", ya think?

Anywho, if there is nothing more about this, back to looking up *more* good things to say about Craig. :love3: <--- sarcasm mode on

Edited by GarthP2000