GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the WOW record ?

copenhagen

I am wondering what is the wow record?

I knew a guy named Mike Dinelle (sp) from springfield ma who went wow four times.

He was very proud of this and i think he would of went again but on his fourth trip they sent him out wow to his hometown of springfield ma. What a waste pack up go to the rock of ages and get sent wow to your home town.

I guess I can understand 1 yr of growth equals 10 with God or something like that but 4 times.

What was the attraction of more then 1 time.

Anyone know of more then 4 and have a good reason why?

Just wondering had a flashback thinking of various people i met in twi over the last few years.

Welcome Copenhagen.

I went WOW twice and, thinking back, perhaps shouldn't have gone the second time. My first year was much better. But at the time, I had nothing better to do, so I went.

In December of 1973 I was at a CFS camp in NY. Walking along the grass near the water, Dr. Wierwille put his arm around me and asked how I was doing. I said fine, told him I was considering going WOW, and asked him what was the best thing to do AFTER going WOW...

He told me "the best thing is to go back to your area and teach what you learned."

I should have listened to him. Instead of that, I went in the corps after my first wow year, and it only lasted 6 months ...

I dont' want to say my second WOW year was a waste of time, but had I stayed home, I would have been very fine.

Well, I only went once WOW.. And then twice I went with the new "Way Disciple" program..

The first time i went WOW, I knew nothing. Barely been in the ministry more than a month. And that month was just taking the class. So I literally knew nothing. Since my WOW family was so against legalism, we barely did the program, so I think I actually learned some during that year! Hehe..

But then after all that, and I grew a few more years in the ministry, I got the thought that the first time really wasn't for God, so I'd go again.. This time to come out with only learniing and realizing how terrible witnessers everyone was. Trying to get drag people to fellowship and into a class I could care less about. I'd much rather see people's lives changed. But then, we were taught that was what the class would do.. Umm.. I never saw it happen!

And after that, I went into the Corps, and the third time was a requirement for that. Thought I'd really get to help people if I went in.. Only to find how much they didn't want me to help people, they wanted me to help their business grow.. Scew that!

So.. 4 times.. The guy has to be a masochist.. Either that, or just lonely / bored and wanted something to do.

I do think he was heavily encourged to go several times but he never grew up.

I have seen a state leader wanting to get rid of some and sell them really hard to go wow just to get them out of their state. Then this problam turns turns in to some one elses problam. Lots of love in that.

You hit three tours of duty very admorable heart for God.

Well I first went out as a summer outreach person, two years of WOW, then out again making three during my interim year in the Corps not counting the three times of lightbearers in residence. I remember graduating and going back to my home state. In a branch leader meeting my branch leader asked me in front of all of fellow leaders to go WOW. I looked at him and said I have been out for three years. How many times have you been out. He had never been out once. I told him you go out and tell me all about. The meeting went to another subject. Was he trying to get me out of the state or just looking for a quota. Who knows these things?

Hey there Copenhagen, Welcome to GreaseSpot. :)

Here's a welcoming cup of coffee for you.

coffee.jpg

Or ------ would you prefer ------------ ???

180px-Copenhagentin.jpg

I went wow once, back in 78. Only knew of a coupla folks who went twice, and none more than that.

That guy that went 4 times, should receive a purple heart -- or something!!

Edited by dmiller

Let's see, I was out:

College WOW 73-74

College WOW 74-75

(Of course, back then, some folks had the opinion that college WOW's were only "half" WOW's, as the witnessing commitment was only half the time required of "regular" WOW's. So maybe we can count this as one year?)

In-state program 75-76.

Regular WOW 79-80

So depending on the math you would like to use, it could be two times, three times, or four times.

Or it could be zero times, as I was scared of witnessing - I think I got one person to take the class in all this time. But I think they never took it seriously, so hopefully no "Waybrain" damage.

I should have stopped at the end of the second college WOW year.

On second thought, I should have never done the first year.

What exactly was the program for a College WOW? Did you live with other College WOWs, or was it simply a witnessing requirement for someone who was in school?

What about the in-state program that you mentioned? How closely did it follow the "regular" WOW program?

In my mind, what made a WOW year a big deal was

• You were "sent" somewhere other than where you were from
  • You had to live with people that you wouldn't necessarily choose to live with
  • You couldn't leave your assigned area unless given permission

If memory serves, the College, Military, Medical, etc WOWs didn't exist by the time I went in 1980.

College WOW's existed in 76-77, 'cause I was one. I lived off campus with three other College WOW's, even though I was supposed to live in a dorm. The requirements were different from regular WOW, in that we schooled part time, worked part time, and devoted the rest of our time to twig, witnessing or studying. So as long as we made sure the "word" got moved on campus, our schedule was whatever our schedule allowed.

I went WOW on three other occasions: first time wide eyed and innocent, the second time to try to make up for the first time, and the third as an interim Corps assignment. None were what I would call smashing successes.

I do recall some snickering (not aimed at me, I could only hope) about the concept of "professional" WOW-anybody else remember that?

After going WOW the first time, I considered going again...but then I realized that it was far more prestigious to go into the corps...

A two or even three time WOW vet couldn't hold a candle to being in the elite corps program.

...and afterall, we all know that it was about the nametag.

Hmmmm. Yea -- the color of the nametag ----

I went for the *Gold* University of Life nametag, not the green corps one.

In my application for *the Gold* -- I was asked why I couldn't go corps.

I told them I didn't want to, and guess what?? I got accepted immediately.

I was never asked to explain -- my reason was accepted without question. :spy:

Just think -- I got to hear all the *abundance* of Way Corps teaching in my own house,

without the regime of the Corps and the legalistic crap, while drinking a beverage of my choice

during the teaching session -- played at MY convinience.

No wonder U of L got discontinued -- WAY too much freedom there.

We were never *under the thumb* like (what I hear) corps were.

And btw -- I am being (somewhat) facetious here. It isn't the color of the nametag ---

It's the amount of the commitment in the heart underneath the name tag that counts.

Anyone who has gone wow 2, 3, or 4 times gets my respect --

regardless of the color of their nametag.

Edited by dmiller

I went WOW twice. Technically. The first time was in '78. I had just taken the class the month before, and got intoxicated by all the Home-WOW-mania during the Rock. The post-Rock training was an unusual experience by itself, I'll give it that. It was weird to wake up in the middle of the night in a circus tent to hear it reverberating with hundreds of people snoring on their cots at the same time.

I wish I had a tape recorder for that.

Of course, when I returned home, and got back into my old self, with a little space between me and the Bible cheerleaders, the excitement faded, along with the woeful weightiness of the big COMMITMENT.

Soon someone called wondering why I wasn't present at "the home WOW meeting".

I uttered something to the effect that I didn't want to get involved with "an organization" at this time.

The leaders kept calling and calling (St*ve St**peck), and I kept avoiding their calls and hiding in my comfortable nowhere town.

Damn, that should have been the end of my magical cultic experience.

But no...I had to get involved again later on.

:confused:

That might also make an interesting poll - what's the record for people leaving the Way and going back?

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

quote: Of course, back then, some folks had the opinion that college WOW's were only "half" WOW's, as the witnessing commitment was only half the time required of "regular" WOW's

Yeah, I remember when they had the outreach athlete program that LCM said he thought it was just an excuse for people not to go wow. ....! When I was a wow the average witnessing time per day in our state was 1 hour per day, so I was told.

My WOW "brother" Dave, was on his 3rd time as a WOW when we went to Bossier City, LA.

I beleive the Limb leader from the state where he was living wanted him gone. He joined us with $100.00 less than he was suppossed to. We didn't really get along that great... We seemed to tolerate each other.

Myself, I just went once. And, that was too many times.

I had a dear friend who went at least four times, I think maybe even 5, WOW, then into the corps. He was the dearest most kindhearted guy.

He then put his life further on hold to take care of their aged mother and father, who both died in good time.

Brother sold house from under him and bid him adieu. Last I heard he was homeless (lost touch with him years ago).

Another big tragedy of a life and reason I hate twi and the cruelty it has brought into the world.

Thinking back there was perhaps some divine intervention pursuant to my attendance at the Rock for my second WOW year. No kidding.

I told a few folks of my plans, and arranged a ride with a gorgeous but ditzy young lady of the Bronx.

Anyway, if you can believe this, 3 days before leaving (I think it was three, could have been a little more or less) I call her to confirm all the plans, and she says, "Oh I'm so sorry there's no room for you in the car".

Words can't express how angry I was. "Now you tell me days before we're leaving and say you can't fit me in your car?" "do you realize I'm doing WOW?" Thanks so much. :CUSSING:

So I figured screw everything and that was that, I wasn't going to the Rock that year, staying home and doing my own thing.

Next day, an established believer who I hadn't spoken to for years calls me and says "I understand you need a ride to the Rock".!.

This was the spirit at work because the young lady who sandbagged me didn't contact this guy.

Still thought I would have done ok staying home, but with that kind of magic I just couldn't.

Four seems to be holding with a maybe at five. I like everyones response. I went on an outreach program two times. Hated the first with a passion, evil x evil corps leader in my household.Made my life a living hell.

I really believe she wanted everyone kicked out so she could be the last one standing and say to her corp leaders look at me.

She always tried to look good in her own fathers eyes to no avail so once she got in to twi and then the way corp she had a mission in life to make everyone look bad so she could look good to her elder corp.

I could not explain her bitterness or see at the time what the hell was going on. Then I took the adv class and when you were taught diffrent devil spirits she had about 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long story short I missed out on all the great time and memories and wonderful experiences people would share about and the lifelong friendships that they made???? (WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING) so i went again. Pretty uneventful still had a better life in my hometown with friends and memories so that was all I needed to never never do it again..

Was it a waste of time for anyone else or was it worth it?

Was it a waste of time for anyone else

How could have been anything else? Geeze Pete, we were promoting patent nonsense for the sole purpose of promoting an MLM organization, for IT'S future growth and financial enrichment. The pseudo-Godly veneer was simply cover.

Lordy, but we were gullible S.O.B.s...

Welcome, copenhagen. Was it worth it???? Well, I don't know.

I went wow the first time (75-76) a couple months after taking the class and one year after graduating from high school. My wow family consisted of a precious young lady who was 17 at the time and 2 guys. One left that was from IL. The other was our coordinator. Kathleen was younger than I but was more 'rooted and grounded' in the Word. I still think of her and what a blessing she was to my life. I was a hillbillly from Kentucky and she was raised as the daughter of a doctor in a very upperclass society, which I didn't know at that time. I just knew that she was special. This is the only year in my life that I did not spend Christmas with my family. I went back home after the wow year and attended fellowship.

The second year I went was 1977-1978. Again, I was sent with the daughter of a doctor and she was 17 also!!! And 2 guys, one from Il who left the field, and one from NY who posts on GS occasionally. I was the coordinator, but not a very good one, IMO. We were sent to a small town in MD and we were the only 'believers' there. We never did get a class together. This wow year I was able to go home for Christmas.

After this wow year, I returned home again, and stayed till I was transferred with my job several years later. I moved around for the company that I worked for until 1996 when they closed our operation down.

I am now back in my hometown and do not plan on moving again till after my parents are no longer on this earth. Then hubby and I may move to FL in a few years, but I would just as soon live here the rest of my life.

I am proud to say that I signed VERY FEW people up for the class in my 19 years of involvement with the way international. Praise God.

My biggest regrets are all the years that I wasted sitting thru boring fellowships when I could have been working toward a college degree and all the money that I donated to a CULT.

I went WOW twice.

I flat out refused to go WOW rather than go to college. I felt VP was a little over the top about what it would do fer ya.

I didn't let anyone talk me into going WOW after I graduated high school. Figured the "10 yrs growth..." could wait and that I'd only be better equipped as a WOW w/ more education.

Was it worth it? For me, yup. Although the second WOW year was about 10 months of literal hell. Seriously. I learned that the ideal to send WOW's into small town USA was NOT of God.

Learned that a LOT of small towns are HQ for a LOT of really "not nice stuff." They can get away w/ it because most everyone who live there is into it!

YAAAA!!!!!!!!

God had to save my life a few times that year.

IMO going WOW is "nice place to visit but I don't recommend living there."

ACT2 very nice story thanks for sharing. The people i went out with were nice, a very broad group both times but no lasting realationships. A hometown has a lot to give I agree. One of my biggest regrets was the job aspect. It took me years to get permoted in my line of work because of the moving aspect. The boss likes you, your work ethic is off the charts but for some unexplained reason you feel the need to move across country and come back later then do it again. People in business do not see that as a great quality.

Now I am on track with savings and a 401k, life is good.

Dmiller thats my brand but I will pass on the long cut, do you have any fine cut????

I have been looking here for some time and I admire your knowldge and willingness to help people...