GreaseSpot Cafe

1968, A Crack in Time

DogLover

A friend of mine, a former Corps grad who sometimes lurks here at GreaseSpot, asked me recently if I knew where she could get a copy of the ABC News video we saw in the Corps (and probably was also shown in some Advanced Classes), "1968, A Crack in Time." It covers all the weird things that all occurred in the year 1968 ... MLK, Jr and Bobby Kennedy being assassinated were just the two that stuck out. Does anyone remember this, and/or does anyone have a copy of it? (I tried online and have e-mailed the fellow who has an audio copy of it that can be purchased when you Google the title, but haven't been able to find anyone with a copy of it....she wanted to look at it again).

Can anyone help?

Yeah, they showed that at my AC (Emporia '84). There was a ship, the USS Pueblo that was held hostage in North Korea for that entire year. Their spin on it was that the devil was so PO'd about the PFAL film class, finished in Dec of '67, that he had a temper tantrum and that's why all the stuff happened.

No, I wouldn't know how to get hold of that.

Yeah, they showed that at my AC (Emporia '84). There was a ship, the USS Pueblo that was held hostage in North Korea for that entire year. Their spin on it was that the devil was so PO'd about the PFAL film class, finished in Dec of '67, that he had a temper tantrum and that's why all the stuff happened.

Must be why I was born in 1968. :evilshades:

I found a website that says the special (movie) first aired on ABC on Sunday, June 8, 1978. How the heck VP got a copy in the days before VCRs and multiple showings is beyond me.

According to this website: http://www.library.georgetown.edu/dept/speccoll/fl/f64}1.htm

They have a copy of the transcript in their special collections library.

And this site http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ahmintz/news.htm implies that there is an audio or video copy available, although when I went to the home webpage: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ahmintz/index.htm I couldn't find it in a search. But there is contact info if you really wanted to pursue it.

Hope that helps.

The Highway---------Re: VCR's in 1978.

In the early 70's, TWI had video tape PLAYERS. They had no recording capability. They were quite large and bulky. I remember them quite well because ,in the course of shopping for a used car, one of the primary features the car had to have was a trunk large enough to easily transport the machine. I think I settled on a 1969 Mercury. Everything in those days was always viewed with the ministry as a crucial factor in decision making. (Is there enough trunk space for the VTP?, is this apartment big enough for fellowships?, will this job offer conflict with class scheduling? and on and on.)

As to where the said video may have come from:

A very prominent sports program director, Bud M*rgan, was associated with TWI in the early '70's.

You may recall he was responsible for the "Rock Of Ages,'71" film that was used for public ex.'s.

It is only speculation on my part but since he was part of the ABC production family at the time, he may have also played a part in this production being made available to VPW. Maybe ABC has it in their archive but it was common practise back then to record over previous shows to save money on production costs. Who knew anyone would be interested in it 40 years in the future?

Waysider,

Thanks for the info... in 1978 I was still in high school, and mine was probably the last family on the block to get a color tv, let alone anything more high tech... someone help my failing memory: when did VCRs (Beta or non-Beta) hit the market?

(sorry... not meaning to derail this thread... just don't want to start a whole new thread with just this one question)

So, the website I found seems to be a whole archive of stuff... just like your thoughts on Bud Morgan, makes you wonder where/why this guy has access to all this material?

I was in the "college division" at the Way C of E in 1978-79. On a number of Saturday nights we watched movies that had been recorded off of TV in the Weirwille "library." So it could have been recorded from that June 1978 broadcast.

...And let's not forget that in 1968, the Beatles released the Sgt. Peppers album...those horrible seed boys from Liverpool who polluted our innocent minds with the devil's music...sending us spiraling down the slippery slope of drug abuse and decadence...

...Thanks to the grifter from New Knoxville, we rejected the unwholesome and untoward philosophies of the 60's and marched forward to a brave new world of Christian legalism and "spiritual" goose stepping.

...Oh well, at least my dog still loves me. :)

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

..And let's not forget that in 1968, the Beatles released the Sgt. Peppers album...those horrible seed boys from Liverpool who polluted our innocent minds with the devil's music...sending us spiraling down the slippery slope of drug abuse and decadence...

...Thanks to the grifter from New Knoxville, we rejected the unwholesome and untoward philosophies of the 60's and marched forward to a brave new world of Christian legalism and "spiritual" goose stepping.

But, but, but........what if we did BOTH!!!!! :biglaugh::drink::spy::dance:

Edited by doojable

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, all those people giving out their dates of birth, just letting us know how old they really are. I choose 1968 as my year of birth, too. Never mind the rumors I was in Vietnam when I was three years old.

The Vietnam war started not shortly after Korea with the French, then had American involvement then. Wasn't that the time the BRC was built and the Wierwille farm became HQ? Oh My God! The devil started the Vietnam War really ticked off about HQ!

Funny thing, though. All of us here are mostly ticked off about TWI HQ.

But you don't see any of us starting a war over it.

Eagle