GreaseSpot Cafe

Another Accent Test

GT

It's time for another one...

What American accent do you have?

My Results:

full_537664926.jpg

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Edited by GreasyTech

Well, I just started taking it and I see a problem right off the bat. "On" is not pronounced like LAWN nor like JOHN - It's pronounced like OWN. ^_^

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_754912005.jpg

Southern

People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.

But I didn't know everyone wanted an accent and I've been told I don't even have mine anymore.

I will say that I'm glad to see they did not include Florida in the south - Florida is definitely NOT part of the true south.

Belle,

That irked me, too. There was no right answer for 'on'. I pronounce it the same way you do and the test wouldn't grade me if I didn't answer it so the heck with the test.Phttt!! Also, what the heck did they mean by words being pronounced a certain way down South? What way? I didn't answer that one either.

sudo

I got Midland (like Rhino) which is right because I grew up in Indianapolis. But when I took the other American accent test, my results were Wisconsin/Chicago area, which is also right, because that's where I live now. I guess my accent goes back and forth depending on whether I've been talking with my birth family, or my married family.

This New Yorker that lives in Texas got the same location as Greasy Tech.

I no longer sound like I'm from Da Bronx - but at least I dont' say break one syllable words into two.;) :dance:

You know

school - skoo-ool

tool - two-ool

hair - hay-er

:jump:

Edited by doojable

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz

Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz

Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

(Same results as on The other version here)

Still sound like a Hoosier, even after 30 years abscence. :)

Edited by dmiller

Midlands... when I took the other one I ended up Midlands with a touch of West - which is just about right.

This is neat! Now I can read everyone's posts with accent attached!!

Ps --- I was born in Terre Haute. Granted I never grew up there, but I stop there all the time (on trips back to see the folks in Indiana), since they seem to have the best prices for gasoline.) :)

They may have a *hoosier twang*, but the REALLY strong southern accent is further south, and especially over in the Illinois, Missouri area. :)

The people on the southside of Indianapolis speak with more of a southern accent than the northside. I heard its because the people who settled there came from Kentucky, but who knows what the real reason is.

Midland, which when you consider my dad's family was from southwest Iowa isn't too far off. My grandfather and my dad's older brothers and sisters were all born there so that is the accent I grew up around. My mom's folks were from England so the Americanizaton of some of their pronunciations came from listening to news etc on radio and TV.

Edited by templelady