• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pros:

1. It gets you high.

cons:

1. It gets you high.

:biglaugh:

That is the objection or agenda on both sides of the issue..

I think, live and let live. There are far worse substances that are REALLY worth addressing..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

LOL :biglaugh: ...I meant for this to be a poll but clicked on the wrong button...oh well...well do you think?

The best thing I found for pain during the years I couldn't afford medical help. I'd get it from kind friends who would share some with me when they could get it. I don't like the high, so only smoked what I needed to get the pain gone so I could get some sleep at night.

I would still smoke a bowl before bedtime nightly if I could, but the legal agreement I signed with my pain doc allows me to take no drugs other than the ones I get from his office and the other doctors I see. The drugs I get from my GP and G.I. docs are on a list at the pain doc's, along with what he gives me so they know what should and should not show up in the random pee tests I'm given. If any drugs not on the list are found in the tests, I would be dropped as a patient.

I don't really miss it at all. My pain doc has me on enough pain meds that I don't need anything else these days and he allows me to take meds to help me sleep, which is the other reason I smoked pot. I have a paradoxical reaction to a lot of meds, meaning the pain meds that would put most of you to sleep do the opposite to me. They keep me awake, so then I need to take something else in order for me to get some sleep at night. We experimented with a few different things and doses until we hit on what worked best and now I am able to take the pain meds and sleep meds and actually sleep thru the night. I used to wake up every half hour to every hour on the half/hour to hour all night long, so I'm loving this sleep thing now that I'm getting it again. LOL.

I am totally in favor of making it a legal drug for pain patients and those who have other medical conditions that it helps. I don't see that ever becoming a reality though, since the most outspoken group are the people who smoke it to get high and have no medical problems. They make it look bad and that reflects on the people who really DO need it's medical properties.

I can appreciate the medical uses of marajuana as I believe in a constitutional right to self medicate as well as the actual medicinal qualities of it...I know a cancer patient who smokes it regularly to help him cope with the side effects of his treatments...he swears by it. There's research that indicates that it helps folks who have glucoma.

...There's also people (Rastafarians), who believe that it brings them closer to God and it's a part of their religion.

Personally, I think it's less harmful than alcohol and more enjoyable as well...but of course, it's illegal.

and I know that nobody here would ever break the law... ;)

Yep.. and some of us can't afford the possible consequences of loss of scholarships, financial aid, even student loans.. ham radio licenses, which ARE viewed as a government grant, and convictions are considered when one is applying or renewing.

Too many consequences..

But I think the current "zero tolerance" policy against such a broad spectrum of substances, which range from basically harmless to deadly lethal, is not a policy in people's best interest.

I kind of side with number 8..

Well, if you haven't, you don't know what you've missed..

I wondered about the ones around here.. the other day they were kinda "funny".. frantically digging in a flower pot in the back yard.

I think they were trying to dig up somebody's stash..

Frankly, I think they should just legalize the weed -- totally!

A-yup, legalize it. For one thing, how many people have died from smoking weed, hmmm? ..... Answer: 0!

How many people have committed domestic violence from smoking weed? Same number (or if there are those who get violent from smoking the stuff, the number is so damn low, nobody sees it).

How many people have died in traffic accidents from smoking Maryjane?

How many people have really went on to *stronger* drugs because they 'started out' on marijuana?

How many people have gotten cancer and bronchitis from smoking marijuana?

You compare the effects overall that marijuana has had on people, and the abuses therewith, and you compare that with the results from smoking cigerettes, or drinking alchohol, ..... No contest! At all!

Oh, by the way, I don't smoke marijuana. At all. Never have. (As tho' that really matters) ... And I am still for its complete legalization.

rauch25.gif

Edited by GarthP2000

Like another poster -- I haven't smoke pot for over thirty-five years. Whenever I did I had one thing in mind -- getting stoned. Now -- I do drink alcohol occasionally but I don't drink to get drunk or relaxed. Some people might say if I was anymore relaxed than I already am I might be mistaken for being dead. I tend to think that anyone who drinks to get drunk has some issues. Likewise, anyone who smokes pot to get high probably has some issues. I don't see either of them doing anything more than temporarily masking a problem -- iow -- a band-aid.

I smoked weed a sum total of ONE time in my life.

Got stoned pretty easily. I actually drove my car while stoned. For the life of me, I can't see any (physical) reason I didn't get in a horrific collision while driving under the influence.

I laughed an awful lot.

But I detested the awareness that I was not as in control of my actions as I usually am... and that was plenty of motivation for me to not do it again.

I also REALLY detest the idea of putting any kind of smoke in my lungs... I have enough trouble with allergies as it is...

So, that puts me sorta into one or more of the categories Groucho and/or Excie listed. But I would have (and therefore did) phrase it differently.

I probably would not be happy with it if I knew my daughter was a marijuana user.

Perhaps for those who enjoy it... as long as they are able to properly function in jobs/vocations/social relationships (i.e. be successfully handling all relevant responsibilities), I likely wouldn't care whether a person used it regularly or from time to time. My daughter is not at a place in her life (given her age, 17) where she could either financially afford it or reasonably sacrifice time she should be focused on school and other productive pursuits.

I can't really think of too much that's all that bad about Marijuana, well, except for the munchies and the short-term memory loss.

Other than that I think it's fine, well, except for the short-term memory loss.

So I don't know what the big deal is about it. It's pretty much harmless, well, except for the short-term memory loss...

I used to be a stoner. I can't see it ever legal like alcohol is because they still wouldn't let you drive under the influence and the only way they could prove you're stoned if they pulled you over was to administer a blood test. This would cost taxpayers more money. Can't see it happening. Maybe they could have places to go like those opium dens.

When I first got into TWI I led a double life: I'd go to twig and put on my church face and I'd go to parties and put on my stoner face. The 2 lifestyles aren't compatible IMO. You look like a hypocrit from the church pov and many stoners have issues with church participation. Last time I did it was at ROA '78 the night I got my wow pin. Got REALLY paranoid.

I have other issues with it. Even before TWI I sometimes felt like getting high forced some kind of presence on me. A presence that tried to coerce me all the time and could even inflict pain on me the times I got paranoid.

Marijuana itself may not kill, but anybody who sells it is max 2 phone calls away from someone who sells heroin or crack cocaine. So there's an ongoing temptation to try those other drugs. I tried heroin and cocaine but to do those drugs everyday you have to be rich...or you have to deal. Be a dope doulos; don't sit on the fence. :biglaugh:

Most times I could afford to get high every day. You can't do acid every day. So even if all you intend to do is smoke pot you're constantly exposed to other people/other drug possibilities. Drug culture attracts some strange bedfellows, too.

I don't see anything particularly harmful in regards to the effects of being stoned. My concerns are not about being stoned, but are more administrative if it were legalized:

1. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm SURE somebody will correct me), cannabis is fat soluble versus water soluble. That means it will stay in your system longer than some other chemicals (like alcohol). Now whether it stays ACTIVELY in your system longer or not is another issue completely. I can have a few beers in the evening and be completely normal the next morning. I can do that night after night with the same reaction. If I were to smoke a joint night after night, would my abilities the next days be back at 100%?

2. Driving. To my knowledge, there is no field sobriety test for marijuana. Also, what's the maximum legal limit of THC that a person can have in their bloodstream and be considered sober. With alcohol, the limit pretty much everyplace is .08%. That can be measured by a breathalyzer carried by a cop in his car. The way to test people for marijuana is through urinalysis. Is the cop going to carry a porta-a-potty and tell a suspect to take a leak to determine if they're too stoned to drive?

If they could figure out administrative issues like the above out, I really wouldn't have a problem if it were legalized one way or the other. Not my cup of tea, but I can't see why it's a problem otherwise.

Well to me the true test would be -- do you want your kids to smoke it if they want to? then I would even consider the rest of the arguments..because that (my kids) are paramount to anything else to me.

my dad also smoked and was a a waste of a father---although brilliant - he was very self serving did what ever made him feel good.....but god forid he should even be a 1/2 assed father---that we would've taken --but we didn't even get that.

my dad also smoked and was a a waste of a father---although brilliant - he was very self serving did what ever made him feel good.....but god forid he should even be a 1/2 assed father---that we would've taken --but we didn't even get that.

You know your circumstances better than I do, but I wonder GENERALLY how much pot related that kind of experience is vs. character related..

I've seen people who for lack of better words, are not able to fully function in society. Pot was the least of their problems. More of a symptom of something bigger.. couldn't function very well without it.

It was a blast at first (8th grade through 11th grade years), and I really lost many social inhibitions because of it. I loved all of the laughing, Chinese Firedrills at stop lights with my stoner friends, munchie attacks and Krispy Kreme Donuts and coffee (yeah!), and it was really fun to get high. But then, after three months in a "boot camp" situation as a trainee at a Merchant Marine Academy, the first time I got high again after so long of a time without, it was way weird. It all just changed on me. Extreme paranoia, and I hated it. I kept trying to "get back with it" by getting high with old friends, but the result was always the same. It screwed with my short term memory, and made me way weird socially. And so, I quit the stuff back in 1974, a year before I became a faithful Wayfer.

The other thing I don't like about reefer is that it is a real "ambition killer", particularly for kids. We used to call it having the "I don't give a f u cks" in high school. "Hey man, you goin to make 1st period?" Naa, "I don't give a f---, let's smoke another joint....." as we proceeded to flunk and drop out. And I have seen that big time in my 20 year old son, although he did graduate good and proper. And so, all in all I hate the stuff for what it does to people in the long run. I think that alcohol, in spite of it's particular destructive nature serves humans better when it comes to a "vice". But, I do support the right of the people to make their own choice as to whether or not they should smoke or not smoke it, just like with alcohol. The Governement should get off peoples' backs, and chase some real criminals.

My 20 year old son did just grab a job as a roofer though, and I am really happy about that. Maybe he is growing up some...