GreaseSpot Cafe

A Few Big Things I Learned Taking PFAL

Doreen

Are these . . .

. . . not your words Groucho? If they are, I don't see how you can interpret them any other way then telling someone to go elsewhere or trying to limit what they choose to post.

You're doing a bit of a back-peddling act -- in my opinion. Own your words.

No back peddling act here...This ISN'T a Christian website...that's stating fact. My pointing out where "opening a bible" is appropriate and welcomed is not telling them what to do, it's merely giving them advice...they are not required to follow it.

...A major reason I have refrained from the all-out attack on Mr. Wierwille, Mr. Martindale and others is not because I idolize them.

I try (with varying success) not to make personal attacks on Christians because even the worst of them are God's children and stand righteous and holy without blame in love before Him.

To say otherwise is to commit idolatry by exalting my word above that of my heavenly Father.

That reminds me….I think a big thing lacking in PFAL was the fear of God and sin-consciousness. vpw interpreted what Jesus Christ did for us as reason to believe what we did in the flesh was of little or no consequence. We heard in his class that all Scripture is profitable for doctrine, reproof and correction. He had a tendency to make study of the Bible an intellectual pursuit rather than a moral guide. So vpw's application of that was to reprove and correct followers that didn't follow his doctrine…to his liking. There was definitely a fear of vpw when I was in TWI. It didn't matter if you were a goody-two-shoes or an unscrupulous son-of-a-b1tch – just don't buck PFAL stuff – or there will be hell to pay!

I'm not surprised but, I would question the appropriateness of the action IF your stated purpose is to help others get out from under the influence of TWI. What profit is there in lobbing tomatoes at someone who still has a TWI mindset if what you want to do is sincerely help someone? I mean, if I was still under the TWI mindset and someone started tossing tomatoes at me for being so my natural (instinctual) reaction would be to pull my head back out. All you've accomplished by throwing tomatoes at someone of that mindset is cut off the possibility that eventually they might come to see it from your perspective.

Larry...We all have different personalities and different ways of communicating. There are plenty of folks here who are tenderhearted, ready to hold someone's hand and tell them things gently... and much more diplomatic than I am...

My posts are geared more towards folks who need a "more direct" approach to the bottom line...there's plenty of people who come here knowing that twi did them wrong but don't have sufficient information to articulate why...

...Usually, if they come here defending twi, they are here to "set us straight"...they are not looking for answers in my opinion...and they leave with tomato dripping from their chins...

George you make a good point about not attacking christians...but everybody else is fair game....to hell with em.

There is scripture that exhortes us to be kind to *all*...but a lot of pseudo christians like to ignore that one as well...

My point was that IF you claim to be a Christian...why wouldn`t you walk the walk?? Attacking another christian is not acceptible...it is hypocracy.

Right you are Jonny...the idea that the bible was wrongly taught in twi is a reoccuring theme here at the GreaseSpot...

and again, there's a doctrinal forum for those who wish to discuss biblical doctrine...which I think is a valuable service for people.

I would guess that most posters here are still Christians (myself included)...but irregardless of a person's belief system (or lack thereof), they are welcome here. I began my discussion here with addressing the question why people who say positive things about twi are criticized...I drew the analogy of saying positive things about war in an anti war website...perhaps it would be more appropriate for me to draw the analogy of speaking positive things about Hitler in a holocaust survival website?

...and I understand that the bible was central to experiences in twi and that's why I passionately like to point out that twi taught wrong doctrine that hurt a lot of people...and when someone defends twi doctrine, I am free to state an opposing view...I do not state my opinions on atheism here, nor wicca, nor catholicism...nor Hari Krishna, nor the religion of Hank worship...I come to the "About the Way" forum to discuss the Way...and attempting to stay within the context of the mission statement, I point out the "other side" of twi...those who defend twi are like the guy who sticks his head through the wall at the carnival and everyone throws tomatoes at him...and no one should be surprised when that happens.

Excuse me for interrupting...

Your last sentence I think sums up your feelings quite well. Personally, I find getting hit with tomatoes a little unpleasant. Perhaps your comments show just how little discussion is really necessary here and why people get so angry with each other? Everyone already has a fixed opinion of what they are willing to accept here even if they say they don’t, and any positive memory of twi experiences, is to be simply discarded as an illusion.

As you say, the format is to tell the “other side of the story”, meaning comments that trash the way as much as possible & in as many ways as possible. But maybe there are a few brave others who would possibly disagree with the, paint it all black scenario you promote? If you really want to keep all the tomatoes, maybe you should let only way bashers post and delete everyone else? (However I would exercise caution on that move as the veteran grease spotters might suffer from incurable boredom with nobody to throw tomatoes at!)

I am quite sure it would make most of the people here quite happy to just listen to “like minded believers” saying what they want to hear, as well as helping them sleep better knowing they weren’t alone. But isn’t that a little like the previous cult mindset? And GS obviously has gone beyond that...?

“People are welcome here”, but on what conditions??

Larry...We all have different personalities and different ways of communicating. There are plenty of folks here who are tenderhearted, ready to hold someone's hand and tell them things gently... and much more diplomatic than I am...

No argument from me on this.

My posts are geared more towards folks who need a "more direct" approach to the bottom line...there's plenty of people who come here knowing that twi did them wrong but don't have sufficient information to articulate why...
By "'more direct' approach" I take it you mean -- throw tomatoes at them? :)
...Usually, if they come here defending twi, they are here to "set us straight"...they are not looking for answers in my opinion...and they leave with tomato dripping from their chins...

"Set [you] straight"? If there's one thing I've learned in all my years of experience it's how true the ole saying: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink it." is. I have no delusional notions whatsoever that I will ever set anyone here straight. That's your (Greasespot's) mission. Or did you forget?

Of course there IS a difference between attacking another Christian and pointing out the wolves in sheep's clothing...

...and there's also a difference between attacking a person and attacking what a person says and does...

right?

How so? Explain to me how you can attack what a person says or does without attacking the person him/herself. If you call someone a "twit" because they "defend" what they believe is true (as presented to them in PFAL) how is that NOT attacking the person?

Everyone already has a fixed opinion of what they are willing to accept here even if they say they don’t, and any positive memory of twi experiences, is to be simply discarded as an illusion.

Everyone..?????????????????????

My, oh my....you sure are painting with a broad brush.

Months ago, I started a thread entitled....The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. That thread ran for quite awhile and lots of "good from twi" was documented. Other threads have had the same flavor thru the YEARS.

IMO, this thread just tended to veer off course when some attitudes came on board. It happens....when conversations are grounded by those with strong opinions.

I've stated several times that I've received some good from pfal........I've also stated several times that I highly detested the CORPS INDOCTRINATION. Wierwille was intricately involved in both.

And, for the record.......I've seen several change some of those "fixed opinions" here at GS. So, I'm quite sure that labeling "everyone" in the same container has a high degree of stereotyping to it.

I love the dialogue...the back-and-forth opinions....SOMETHING NOT TOLERATED in twi.

Have a nice day...........everyone!!! :)

Skyrider does have a valid point there Bumby. However, it may be true that a greater percentage of the members here have the mindset that you describe.

Have a nice day...........everyone!!! :)

I probably would if they could figure out how to pipe air conditioning throughout the plant I work at. :) But, in any case -- you likewise have a nice day!

Skyrider, I stand corrected. You are obviously right! 'Everyone' is a very poor choice of word usage. How shall I quantify my mistake?? “Many”, some...but how many? Lets just say possibly the thousands of previous posts have to be tallied to get an exact representation? However I have a pretty good feeling that the OVERWHELMING majority will be painted by that broad brush of ANTI...”I don’t love and worship the way anymore” category?

But I could be wrong, maybe there is a long lost nostalgia right under the radar, which is just waiting to manifest itself...in 9 different ways! :biglaugh:

(Suda @ Aug 7 2007, 11:50 PM)

If pfal/twi/vpw rejecters are allowed such latitude and freedom of choice, why must those who have positive things to say about pfal/twi/vpw be pigeonholded as “Way brained twits that believe every word ever spoken by vpw, and still worship him”? Why shouldn’t they be given the same courtesy as the rejecters, to be able to express their individual thoughts and choices, versus being viewed as only and entirely supportive pfal/twi/vpw? Is it merely a black or white issue, or is there room for other colors in there too? (Say purple, for instance? It's my favorite.)

Suda

The simple answer to that question can be found by clicking on the "About us" on GreaseSpot's homepage:

"Our mission is to provide information that tells the other side of the story about the Way International and it's trustees."

Let me give an example here that has applied here as well in many other threads. When a new poster comes along, uses some “Way Speak” verbiage and hits the hot buttons of “good associated with PFAL” and “due respect accorded to vpw as teacher of PFAL”, they are pigeon-holed as a “pfal/twi/vpw” fan/lover/defender/apologist.

I disagree with you there. Not that these labels aren't used pecipitously at times, but my observation is that those newbies who "uses some “Way Speak” verbiage and hits the hot buttons of “good associated with PFAL” and “due respect accorded to vpw as teacher of PFAL”, get tarred and feathered and labelled predominantly when they make a judgement against those of us who have no use for Wierwille and PFAL, or offer some "helpful" advice about how we should "get back to the Word", or move on or be positive or whatever, with no consideration as to why we feel the way we do, and with the condescending attitude that we have somehow "lost our way".

Excellent points, well made, and well received. Many thanks Groucho and Oakspear.

Suda

Edited by Suda

Just a thought.. you'd think the der dear vey would provide the same kind of service.. a place where people can worship da mog(ette?), da class.. in a tomato free atmosphere.

I mean.. it's their product, isn't it?

The last time one of their own did indeed have some kind of open board, people were actually nice, didn't throw tomatos or anything..

Personally, I wouldn't put it on the administrator of THIS site to do the job for them..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

The simple answer to that question can be found by clicking on the "About us" on GreaseSpot's homepage:

"Our mission is to provide information that tells the other side of the story about the Way International and it's trustees."

Coming to this website and saying positive things about twi is akin to visiting an anti war website and posting positive things about war...Perhaps if this were a "neutral" website that encouraged differing points of view, positive statements regarding twi would be more appropriate.

When one considers the purpose and mission of this website, is it any wonder that positive statements about twi are not treated with courtesy???

I have brought up this point before Groucho and the only one I know of that agreed was my northern neighbor Oakspear. I respect his honesty. But that's the double standard here for the most part, When its beneficial on threads like this people quote it as a reason why one should not expect positive things to be received well. But when you point out that someone is doing just that and it is not a level playing field and their statements are not treated with courtesy. Then howls of denial quickly come up. It becomes oh no we are fair we say nice things all the time . You can't play it both ways ....... Personally as you said I expect such treatment because this is a site that wants to see that side. Just don't weasel out of it when someone calls you on it .

Edited by WhiteDove

You then had people calling marsha an annonymous account of a probable liar...

Rascal I went back through the posts I can't find the spot where this happened can you provide the quote because I missed it?

I did see records of people myself included refer to the account as anonymous I believe that to be true as there is no name presented. I understand the reason but the truth is that is what it is by definition. As such it is not verifiable as you have no reference to do so with. I see no record of anyone calling her a probable liar Not verifiable is different than calling someone a liar which you can't seem to grasp. This why you feel stalked at times and that people pick on you ,because you say things that are not factual and honestly some times just fabricated, and then they call you on it. Not verifiable does not = your a liar there are many reasons why things are not verifiable which have nothing to do with the person being a liar. It's very much like if someone here said I did not like a thread you did and you would then say That person said they hate me. Not what they said at all just that the did not enjoy what you wrote. Big difference and the same is true in the other case as well.

An example from another thread you might consider.

Quote WhiteDove

No one said anywhere that anyone's story was trash just unverifiable big difference Awhile back I got a ticket went to court the officer told his story I told mine the Judge did not know either of us so which was true? He dismissed the ticket because he accepted the facts or proof that I presented. Did that make the officer Trash? No Did it make him a liar? No it made him unable to prove his words that's all. Did it make him a bad person? No He probably was a nice guy when he was not in cop mode. That's the thing in life we understand these things but some how here when we question we are trashing someone, making them a victim again and on and on. I wonder by what magic that only applies and works here only?

Edited by WhiteDove

i wonder if it might be better to adjust those italicized words a bit to...

"Our mission is to provide information that tells another side of the story about the Way International and it's trustees."

or even "other sides of the story" and such

i know its not always easy to change even a single word of any long-standing mission statement...and maybe it don t matter if it is officialy changed

but i basically assume that change for myself anyway...regardless of the actual wording

simply cuz it makes more sense to me..and better describes what is trying to happen here anyway

and what has been happening here

that said...what i often see happening in posts...is what i would call 'reductionism'

where people reduce a complex realities and complex possibilities into some way-too-simple statement that is usually too flat and too absolute to represent truth at all

naturally...we tend to wig out a bit when it rubs against our experience

and its not what we really mean anyway...more like a clumsy sloppy hasty attempt at expressing

so i cant blame anyone for it...i mean, who here really knows how to write simple things that handle these complex realities all the time anyway?

of course, some are better than others at time at keeping away from reductionist and absolute stuff...but we all have a range of different capacities, even if we dont know how to talk about them...yada yada

takes practice i guess...and perhaps a real interest in reaching for such things in the first place

i dunno

just sayin...

Edited by sirguessalot

The mission also begs the question, FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

I would think it would include

(1) to aid in the healing and recovery process for those who have left and have wounds or scars

(2) to expose the "true" identity of twi as a decision making aid to those thinking of making or breaking an affiliation with the organization.

Is there a purpose for those who left and have no scars or wounds they are seeking and/or needing help in healing/recovery process? Is this an appropriate forum for them? What purpose could/should they serve?

Input is welcomed.

Suda

Is there a purpose for those who left and have no scars or wounds they are seeking and/or needing help in healing/recovery process? Is this an appropriate forum for them? What purpose could/should they serve?

Input is welcomed.

Suda

Well, there's still plenty of good seating available in "The Reading Room".

:)

The mission also begs the question, FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

I would think it would include

(1) to aid in the healing and recovery process for those who have left and have wounds or scars

(2) to expose the "true" identity of twi as a decision making aid to those thinking of making or breaking an affiliation with the organization.

Input is welcomed.

Suda

There are those who remember the early years of TWI with pleasure and value what they learned, who sustained hurts in TWI2, that they need to be healed from. Why should it not be an appropriate forum for them, just because they have a more balanced approach to TWI; i.e. that PFAL was a good class that taught many about God (who never lets man down even if people do)? They can balance the more emotional approach of those who seek only to vilify VPW and everything he did. I think that's a good purpose to serve, as well as exposing the hypocrisy of those who do the same things they accuse others of.

BTW, what are 'scritpures'?

BTW, what are 'scritpures'?

I asked my grandson Cletus(That's his name.)

"Geeze, Grandpa Waysider, don't you old guys know nothin'?", he said.

"Scritpures are fuzzy little critters that live in caves and only come out in the darkest part of the night on account of their bein' so painfully shy."

"They have cute little bobbed tails and call back and forth to one another with a call that sounds something like this:

Wacko!---Wacko!---Wacko!"

(Dang kid's been watchin' too much of that there Recovery Channel.)