GreaseSpot Cafe

What did you want to be before twi

polar bear

Just wondering if anyone has reconsidered what they truly wanted to do career wise before their involvement with twi and what you do now after you've left.

I had goals that I dumped after getting involved with twi. Now I'm thinking is it too late to change?

I'm thinking about a big change in my life. Sort of back along the lines of what I was heading for before twi.

What do you think?

I say GO FOR IT!!

I also changed career paths several times based on twi. Dropped out of college twice, too, so I could do some sort of outreach.

One of the nice things about not having someone constantly looking over your shoulder and judging everything you do is that you can do whatever you want without any unneeded feedback from anyone else. I kept from doing a lot of things that could have made me a very rich person because twi wanted me to do something else. I stopped my art and my writing because I needed to stop daydreaming and do something practical... (and my art was supposed to be a "godly" art according to twi standards, which it sometimes wasn't.)

I was told by one of my parents that what I wanted to pursue was not a "realistic" job, that I needed to focus on a "real" career (translation: dead end job)... this, I am sure, was influenced by twi, because my youngest sibling was never told this once they had been out for a few years.

I see no reason not to pursue whatever you want to do in life. Take a risk. If you don't you will always wonder what could have happened... And your story won't be satisfying at all.

i wanted to go back home and help my family. i know that's not a career, but i'm sad i missed that chance

i majored in business administration and minored in psychology

i was thinking maybe human resources

i don't know.....

then there are times i wanted to teach. and times i wanted to be a school secretary so i could help kids on the sly ;)

in my past, i also wanted to be a nun and a nurse and a peace corps volunteer

--

i wouldn't mind being a private detective either, but i would probably get too involved emotionally

I wanted to be an interior designer extraordinaire. Now, I've been there done that, and am doing something else, by choice. And I even did it going out Wow a couple times and in the Way Corps. :wave: I did get a bit sidetracked along the way, but by the grace of God, I got back on track. I figure when my youngest child gets through high school, I'll get back into it again.

Graphic artist.

Along came computers in the 1990's and some awesome friends in TWI, who took me under their wing and taught me a lot.

Today I moonlight designing forms, databases, presentations, and a few websites. I hope to go back to school once the boys are older and get some classes and maybe a degree under my belt. But where I work now - with over 2,000 employees - no one beats me when it comes to software skills - and I'm proud of that.

I'm also considering getting into gaming and animation - my dream job - working for Pixar!

never to late to give up a dream

i worked 32 years at a job i didn't like all that much but the pay and bennies were great

when i retired i worked to become a certified excutive chef and i have that certificate hanging above my piano

i taught myself to play that also,someting i never had time to do befor

follow your dream

sometimes they do come true

but you have to work for them

Well, here goes...

I was a psych major (who wasn't in those days?) but my mother died while I was in my first year of college and my father remarried six months later, abandoning me financially. I dropped out during my second year and moved out of state, where I got involved with twi. I tried going back to school after taking pfal, but between being broke and starting to believe vp's rant that world wisdom was worthless, I gave up hope of finishing college.

A few years after leaving twi I considered going back to school for the long haul but I needed to be realistic about how much time I would be able to invest in school and still take care of my family, (our second child has special needs) so instead of a bachelors I went through a two year medical program and earned an associates in applied science.

So...now I work in occupational health for a large corporation. It's a very good job with retirement and affordable health insurance, and I'm paid well for only having been in my field for ten years. It's certainly not my dream job, but I am thankful to God that I have it. It's an odd thing being thankful for the lemonade you've been able to make, yet at the same time being resentful for not getting the lovely peaches you used to dream of having.

polar bear, I guess my point is you have to weigh the cost of your changes. I don't know you from Adam, but if you can afford to take the risk you might as well try.

Exie et al,

It's never to late for your dream.

You may not be able to be a dancer, but you can still dance.

And as far as helping kids on the sly. . . I would guess there are many who will be part of your crown (not of thorns but of jewels).

In hope,

Tonto,

Gosh, I hear ya on that one. I suffered a family tragedy my freshman year as well, that messed me up way more than the way ever did. In fact, it was my being involved with the way, that actually got me back on track. Long story, but we do the best with what we are dealt. It's easy to look back and want to change things, but gosh darnit, do overs aren't part of the deal. I love your story, because you made choices that you are happy with now. Somebody was watching over you?

Well PB, as a minor hero of mine is want to say, "This ain't no dress rehearsal".

If you don't do it now, when will ya?

OTOH, I had always dreamed of being a paleontologist. Somewhere along the way, I got sidetracked. And I don't have the energy (and probably not even the desire) to pursue that now.

Eventually life gets the better of us all, but if you've still got the moxie, go for it man...

I always wanted to be an archaeologist, (that's probably where my love for treasure maps stems from) however now I am an artist working from my home, and the business is going pretty nicely, so I'm pretty content with the journey I have chosen !!

Cowgirl

I was a Merchant Marine when I was sixteen. I planned to sail the world and the Seven Seas ("everybody's looking for something..."), and I managed to do a fair amount of that by the time I got in The Way when I was eighteen. But I had planned on working my way up to Chief Engineer on ocean class vessels, but my fifteen year "time out" in The Way put a halt to that. I did go back to sea as a number of you know, but it was a bit frustrating to meet guys who were my age and younger who had attained 2nd and 1st engineer status and pay grade, while I was just a "mere Oiler" at the age of 36. However, I did work my way back "up the hawse pipe" and retired out of shipping as a Third Assistant Engineer, which is really, pretty cool, for that means that I had attained the coveted LICENSE, Officer in the US Merchant Marine. But, I did quit shipping out because of the toll on my wife and kids while I was away so often. Had I stayed with it when I was eighteen, and not given my life to The Way Ministry, I may well have retired as a Chief Engineer like a friend of mine did just this last year. He was Chief of a Sea-Land container ship, sailed the whole world, and now at 53 has a fat retirement, and a nice home near Miami, and nice cottage in the Florida Keys. He is a tarpon and bonefish fisherman now, soaking up the sun and taking trips around the world. My daughter, however, at the age of only 22, is an Oiler aboard the M/V Matanuska, a ship that I was Oiler on for three years. As a matter of fact, she even lives in my old crew quarters and listens to the same salty hiss out that same old porthole that I loved to leave open even throughout the wintertime while heavy blankets kept me warm while I slept while off watch. Ahh, now that puts a lump in my throat, to think that my daughter is on the fast track that I got of, and at a very young age. Career wise, she has the world by the cojones. She's single, loves her job, and takes home $3800.00 a month plus an excellent heath insurance plan and an out of this world retirement plan. It's very hard to be the state of Alaska's retirement plan with the Alaska Marine Highway. It is awesome. And so, I am proud of that, and my being involved in The Way didn't hinder my passing on that wonderful lifestyle and career on to her, thank God.

And so, I don't regret my time in The Way, as many do, but, I did throw a perfectly good career to the wind while out "jousting with windmills" in a Quixotic fashion. I guess I will cherish all of my adventures I spose. I did manage to sail five of the Seven seas though, and still sail the North Pacific's Alexander Archipelago from time to time, albeit in a little old 24 foot sport fishing boat while in pursuit of the wily pisces, and deer, moose, king crab, shrimp and dungees...