GreaseSpot Cafe

Worship

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

On The Way Theology discussion group on Yahoo I posed the question on what is real worship.Outside of Hymns/songs, spontaneous prayers, and Bible teaching(sermon/homily), we were taught that Speaking in Tongues was the only real, true manner to worship. Dedications(since we rejected water baptism) were almost unheard of, Holy Communion was once a year during Holy Week/Easter/Passover, healing services became more of a rarity, never had an opportunity to see Way ordinations.

Obviously, Wierwille never took classes on worship/liturgy not on hymnody, or else rejected such classes at Lakeland/Mission House, and Princeton. The biographies on him don't mention it. WW, Ham John J, anyone know more about this? Thanks.

Okay - I posted I wasn't clear on your question -- but I think I get it now.

I do believe SIT has great benefit as TWI is not the only group to ever teach that. I do think it's supernatural that sometimes other people can understand what is being said since it's s tonuge of humans and angels. I believe in that.

Worship is loving God with all your heart. The heart is the seat of the personal being. In order to be born again your heart must confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and you believe. Belief is a heart and confession mixture.

I can't give much more info...I'm sure others will have input.

Edited by Outfield

True worship occurs when we approach Heavenly Father as a small child approaches their loving earthly Father. With a heart full of gratitude, with a desire to please and secure in the knowledge that He desires only the best for us and will never guide us astray. When we have confidence that we are loved and cherished, and willingly follow as he directs.

How we reach this attitude-- whether through hymns, scripture reading, meditation, SIT, etc.--is what works for the individual.

Good answers. Worship is devotion and submission. A devoted and submitted Christian lives a life of worship. When your heart is filled with devotion and you are submitted, your singing, working, tithing, loving, cooking, cleaning, talking, everything...are all worship.

SIT is not true worship. That's Poppycock!

Good answers. Worship is devotion and submission. A devoted and submitted Christian lives a life of worship. When your heart is filled with devotion and you are submitted, your singing, working, tithing, loving, cooking, cleaning, talking, everything...are all worship.

SIT is not true worship. That's Poppycock!

In other words, Evan, you would not include SIT along with those and perhaps say SIT alone (say, without love) is not true worship, or SIT is not the only true worship? Obviously the same could be said of those other items; e.g. cooking by itself is not worship, singing by itself is not worship, etc. Can you get much argument that SIT without love, devotion, and submission is not worship? But can it not be worship with those things...just as cooking, cleaning, talking, etc. are?

The original post questions whether SIT is the only true worship. A good question I think. But your statement would say that is not even one of many forms of worship. Do I read you correctly?

God first

Beloved Thomas Loy Bumgarner

God loves you my dear friend

you have asked " is there more than SIT for true worship?"

yes SIT and the other eigth are true worship plus

true worship is walking in the love of God whether it be fleshly praying by talking at a God that you believe is above some way

true worship does not take understanding what you are doing but a act out of love

the heart can not lie its either love or hate but one can not fake love to God but they can make believe fleshly love with words but the heart tells truth

God reads hearts

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

I'm thinkin' Romans 12:1

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship.

I think it's a heart thing, a "go-for-broke" thing, all that I am, from changing the diaper on a grumpy, squirming daughter, to fighting for time in solemn prayer before Him, and everything in between. I think that's encapsulated in the command to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength". SIT is part of it, but without the heart, it's sounding brass, a tinkling cymbal...

~Cinder

This brings to mind these verses-

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

So in spirit and in truth would be the answer.

Of course more info would be needed.

In spirit and in truth could be several things.

Plenty of places in the bible to look.

But how do we know if we are in spirit and truth?

Another little tidbit is this-

the Father seeketh such to worship him

More like connecting to me.....

So we do know what he is looking for concerning 'worship'.

Which worship can be a lot of things in spirit and truth.

In other words, Evan, you would not include SIT along with those and perhaps say SIT alone (say, without love) is not true worship, or SIT is not the only true worship? Obviously the same could be said of those other items; e.g. cooking by itself is not worship, singing by itself is not worship, etc. Can you get much argument that SIT without love, devotion, and submission is not worship? But can it not be worship with those things...just as cooking, cleaning, talking, etc. are?

The original post questions whether SIT is the only true worship. A good question I think. But your statement would say that is not even one of many forms of worship. Do I read you correctly?

Sorry for my lack of clarity. The gift of tongues, in and of itself, is not worship. It becomes an act of worship when spoken on the lips of a 'worshipping Christian" as described in Rom 12:1.

The gift of tongues' primary focus is prayer, or when accompanied by an interpretation, a message from the heart of God. Honestly, I think Wierwille connected phantom dots when he concluded it is the only form of true worship for the Christian.

Hi TheEvan,

Now I don't agree with this-

The gift of tongues, in and of itself, is not worship. It becomes an act of worship when spoken on the lips of a 'worshipping Christian" as described in Rom 12:1.

I don't believe on can speak in tongues without the spirit working, genuinely.

And if no one can interpret, or there be no interpreter as it's worded.

The one speaking is edified. So there is something happening here.

As for worship, that's a different deal yet the gifts or manifestations would be included.

As well as fruit of the spirit and works springing from God at work in many capacities.

Being selfless is the key I think and doing things from the heart of giving.

If one is to speak in tongues and there be no interpretation.

It would still be God at work.

More on worship here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worship

Pretty general perhaps, but an idea of differences.

An example would be doing something for God or someone else or yourself.

Without the motivation that would be godly

Though we do many things without thinking at all.

Shopping chores, work and more.

To incorporate worship into these activities is to each his and God's to do.

just a couple of rambling thoughts of real life in action......

Cman, your wikipedia link is closer to what I had in mind. Various Chritian authors like James F. White, Geoffery Wainwright, Frank Senn, Phillip Pfateicher, Paul Westermayer are among those whose writings are what I wished Wierwille, Geer, Martindale,

Cummins, Lynn, Schoenheit, Gigou, Clapp, Finegan(sp) and others had taught the WC, which I think left many ignorant on liturgy, hymnody, church architechqual(sp), holy days, visual arts(colored stain glass, paintings, statues, icons, vestments, paraments, candles,etc). Thanks to all for your input.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

So far on The Way Theology Group @ Yahoo discussion forums no reply, so J Trim* do you visit GSC? Johm Juddes, any coment you wish to add to this topic?

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Boy, this could go a zillion different directions.

(And probably has on older threads I haven't read.)

Without going into scriptures and history, I'll just throw in my two cents.

Wierwille proposed that the only way to PERFECTLY worship God was to SIT.

The inverse is that, without SIT, you can only worship GOD in an inferior manner.

It was part of Wierwille's "schtick".

It was his way of isolating us from the rest of mainstream Christianity and promoting an elitist attitude amongst our ranks.

Please note that this is not a comment on SIT, per se, but rather a comment on how Wierwille used it to give us a sense that we were unique and special. He used it to instill a subliminal sense that we were actually superior to other Christians who did not subscribe to this train of thought.

And you know, how is it that drawing a mental image of an apartment with red drapes while you SIT constitutes worship?

If anything, it draws your focus off of God and redirects it to yourself.

Why does worship even require that a language be spoken?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"When through the woods and forest glades I wander

And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;

When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur

And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee

How great Thou art, how great Thou art."

How Great Thou Art------Carl Gustav Boberg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not saying I'm right.

Just saying I believe worship goes beyond mere words that are uttered, whether they be tongues of men or tongues of angels.

Edited by waysider

Good points waysider,

The word perfect does not mean flawless or without mistakes.

Any bible dictionary or concordance will say this.

Why does worship even require that a language be spoken?

I don't think it's a requirement but it's there and one can get more fluent in it.

It is in the same language, such as English as the hearer's language is English.

Or French to French, Italian to Italian, Mexican or Spanish to Mexican or Spanish.

When these tongues begin to to be understood by the hearers,

they are being interpreted by the hearers. As well as many other things at work.

It is a sign and certain key elements are present for a believer to recognize another believer.

These key elements are taught to you by God, or the Lord, which ever you want to call it.

The SIT we learned in pfal is not for meetings and the like.

It would be more like for meditation. If one wants to.

As we know sit with interpretation in twi, was predictable the majority of the time.

And quite monotonous and redundant, bringing some to the point of puking. :)

So we don't need to speak in tongues, it just flows, living water, the Word.

Along with sit are the other manifestations also.

And there is fruit of this spirit, the fruit is not separate from the msanifestions.

Of course there is fruit in many godly things.

But I did want to point out that the interpretation is from the hearer as well as the speaker.

And sometimes these things take time to reach our inner ear, our heart, our spirit.

This mind of Christ will hear, your mind of Christ which is one with all.

Which is why we can interpret, though we may jump the gun sometimes and misinterpret,

temperance, love and peace and more will sort it out.

Like if someone said something to you by the spirit of God, you may not get it right off.

So more words are needed, the speaker interprets a bit to help you interpret.

If SIT was the be-all and end-all we were told it was,

why were so few verses written to address it?

Very few verses were written about the other manifestations. Does that mean they're equally unimportant? Three chapters in Corinthians were written to address the manifestations and/or gifts of the Holy Spirit -- and they cover them quite well -- what exactly would you expect? That plus, what was written in the Book of Acts in regards to the times when the manifestation of SIT is mentioned.

VPW proposed that the only way to PERFECTLY worship God was to SIT.
VPW did not even have a clue what worship was (if he did he hid it good). How could he tell me how to worship when he claims that Christ is not to be worshiped.

"THAT IS TOTALLY UNFOUNDED"

Never one time where the word "WORSHIP" appears in the bible you see "SIT" in the same context.

Wordwolf you shocked me with your statement, and i agree with it 100%

And add "only in Cor 14 it ever appears" and Paul is not going along with it at all (that i see)

"WORSHIP" that is a big word in the old Dialect and will show any thinking man (that is meek to receive) something, just by the one word we get the word worship from "Proskuneo"

"Proskuneo" is from the word

"Pros" meaning With, side by side, face to face, Showing motion not like 'Sun" or "meta"

"Kuneo" means to "kiss, adore"

Used to pay homage, and Reverence to deity. see LXX: Gen. 47:23, 1 Kings 1:47

a) Used of God when in the absolute science.

b) Used of the messiah when in the dative case, see Heb.1:6

This is my understanding of Worship.

"the Father seeks to be worshiped " JN 4:23

"Christ accepts worship" MT 8:2,9:18,14:33,15:25,18:26,28:9

" The Father loves for us to worship his "monouneis" [one of the same race nature and stock of himself] and likes his creation to worship his Son. If you have a child and you see that child gets a honer for something they did, does it not please you and make you glow inside ??

just what I see here.

God bless

Edited by TRIUNE_GOD

Worship derives its meaning from Anglo-Saxon term "weorthscipe" or worthiness, value, price. Should we worship Jesus Christ in the sense of respect, honor, and reverence to a perfect human being , incapable of sin, or is he God in human flesh(disguised/masqerading/ingocnito)? other terms such as Gottesdienst(God's service to humanity/humans serving God), proskuneo(bowing down/kneeling/geneflection), latreuo/liturgy(leitos, pl. of laos, and ergon/ergos = reqiured work/participation

of people), sebomai/ora/prier=prayer. Hymnody in TWI, CFF, CRF, S&TF, etc. was limited to 100 or less hymns/songs(including those for children), yet newer hymnals such as Lutheran Service Book, Evangelical Lutheran Worship, United Methodist Hymnal/The Faith We Sing, Episcopal Hymnal 1982/Wonder, Love, and Praise, Celebration Hymnal, just to name a few have close to 1,000 hymns/Gospel Songs/Praise Choruses. So what gives? O that's right, TWI and the splinter groups don't celebrate Advent, Christmas/Nativity, Epiphany, Lent/Ash Wednesday, Holy Week(Palm procession, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Saturday Easter Vigil), Ascension, limited Pentecost, forget Trinity Sunday, Reformation, All Saints, Christ the King/Sunday of the Fulfillment of The End Times, Thanksgiving, Water Baptism, Confirmation, weekly Holy Communion, etc. No wonder worship was so poor, only Bible teaching with "manifestations" with hymns directed/conducted by song leader. Give me a break. Even Baptist congregations don't give a $#@! about the minister of music conducting(as if he would stop the service and criticize the poor siinging).

We also had mostly Gospel Songs, with a couple Germanic Chorales(A Mighty Fortress and Now Thank We All Our God), with no plainsong chant, only 1 Scandinavian(How Great Thou Art), 2 British(Onward Christian Soldiers and Stand Up For Jesus), no Eastern European, Dutch, French, Hispanic, Carribean, African, Asian, South Pacific, very few Praise songs by Bill Gaither(He touched Me and Im's so glad that I'm part of the Family of God). And we were suppose to have The Word Over the World, but little of global hymnody or certainly almost no Contemporary Praise Music, unless it was Selah, Pressed Down, Good Seed, Joyful Noise, or Takit(after my time in TWI). Comments anyone?

We also had mostly Gospel Songs, with a couple Germanic Chorales(A Mighty Fortress and Now Thank We All Our God), with no plainsong chant, only 1 Scandinavian(How Great Thou Art), 2 British(Onward Christian Soldiers and Stand Up For Jesus), no Eastern European, Dutch, French, Hispanic, Carribean, African, Asian, South Pacific, very few Praise songs by Bill Gaither(He touched Me and Im's so glad that I'm part of the Family of God). And we were suppose to have The Word Over the World, but little of global hymnody or certainly almost no Contemporary Praise Music, unless it was Selah, Pressed Down, Good Seed, Joyful Noise, or Takit(after my time in TWI). Comments anyone?

Very good point, Thomas

Maybe it should have been called, "Forcing our doctrines on the rest of the World"

But then, of course the bumper stickers would have had to say, "FODOTROTW".

(Not nearly as catchy as "WOW".)

• 1 month later...

Just celebrated Epiphany(Magi), with next Sunday being Jesus' baptism. This forum was not so much SIT but rather about worship as in liturgies and hymns, including more than word studies on baptism and comparing Holy Communion to the Passover/Pesach sedar,i.e. actual formats and structures of worship. And BTW it is architechture was the word I was Looking for.

OK so no one else interested in this forum, so here ends the sermonizing. Thanks be to God.

Worship for me is a matter of the heart.

There was worship in twi by the worshippers.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels but have not charity, it profits me nothing.

In all churches I have been in some worship, some don't.

I expect that those who do will be worshipping at the throne of the Lamb when He is Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

• 1 year later...

I am bringing this back up. Greg Scheer, Timothy and Janet Wright, and Andrew Langford mention 3 types of worship. !. is Liturgical/Ritualistic(Eastern Orthodox, Catholicism, Lutheran, Episcopalian/Anglican)-either Daily Prayer Office or Weekly Holy Communion(Entrance/Gathering, Proclamation of Scripture, Response/transition, Invitation to the holy meal, sending forth). 2. Thematic/Worship and Praise-Christian believers who had no been connected with church in maybe 10 years. 3. Seeker/Searcher/Inquirer/Outsider/Visitor- Other religions(Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, etc.) or agnostic/atheistic who are spiritually hungry. The 2nd option is also called frontier revivalism. What say you all?