GreaseSpot Cafe

Rocky Horror Athletes of the Spirit

TheEvan

...good old dad...he had a way with words...

I must admit, to my shame...that I am a member of that elite website...BUT...I went in as a spy! :spy:

I wanted to see for myself this ugly resurrection of the "waycorps"...I thought that I could handle it (spiritually :biglaugh: )...but as it turns out...I am disgusted by it. You would be amazed at how many of these goons are posting links to their self-help groups and other spinoff bull sh *t, guru, I'm the guy, organized salvation and other miscellaneous money schemes. I guess this is what Richeson wanted all along...a network of Wierilltes, regrouping and perpetrating the myth...elitism feeding on itself...

...I haven't had the stomach to go there in awhile...maybe I should say something nasty and leave.

Now Groucho... come on... what Richeson wanted? I don't think so. If you're not aware, there are some of the SAME links on the main (not forum) GSC page...

And I know of one guy that had started a blog on his page (there) about how thankful he was/is for Wierwille and wishing for the "good ol' days." John R posted some comments to that blog indicating his disagreement with that perspective (without John having to say it in a nasty way), but the blogger deleted the comments. THAT was offensive. NO... John has wanted it to be open and diverse in perspectives/ideas within the range of who registers. So far, there are just over 600 members and there IS a wide range of thought, but few who praise Wierwille.

Yes, there are some... who have links to their personal ministries... btw, NOT Michael Rood however. That would REALLY be bizarre... But the links are there because John wants to be tolerant, NOT because he wants to dictate allowable content on each member's personal page.

And Groucho... IF you are (still) registered there, you WILL find that I have posted the YouTube video (on my page) that Dougie told us about on the thread about my birthday... it's a Neil Young song about impeaching Bush... it's political and it's funny... but one of the things I did to minimize discontent is limit viewing of it to those who are in my friends list... but NOT everyone on my list are liberals...

all of this... FWIW.

And Groucho... and But Now I See... and/or others who would be eligible to go there... IF you have no personal desire to find any old friends, I can see how you'd have no use for the site... but I enjoy it for the reasons stated. Period.

so did they steal the ideas from that movie?

lcm had a short "athletes of the spirit" thing- BTW, that term was used quite a bit

before lcm got it, by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and others-

a few years before. That one, vpw supposedly complimented.

One poster said that lcm came back from seeing that movie,

and insisted they could do that scene a lot better- the scene titled "Satan's Alley"

in the movie. That's how it officially started.

Supposedly, lcm didn't announce he wanted to star in it, and was surprised when someone

suggested it. I think it was another case of lcm hinting around, and when someone

finally said it, he jumped all over it.

Watch the scene sometime.

You've got the scaffolding, the oppressed, the saved ones, the good guy as the male,

the bad guy as the female, the corresponding uniform colours match, and the big

fight scene has the good guy without his shirt.

Honestly, they took everything from the few minutes of the movie, and started from there.

ckeer, Jun 16 2005, 02:38 PM , "Athletes of the Spirit" thread.

"I assume you are talking about the movie Staying Alive and the Show within the movie- Satans Alley. I remeber LCM saying he used it as a basis for Atheletes- I think I rember him showing clips from it at an explanation/ teaching about AOS."

TheHighWay, Jun 16 2005, 11:52 AM, same thread.

"Do you all remember that Loy-boy accused Sly of stealing his ideas for this movie from their original Athletes ROA production?

Supposedly that was part of the reason Loy wanted to do a full-blown AOS... he stated he wanted to "do it right" and thumb his nose at Hollywood's devil spirits.

Oh my... talk about ego."

Bob, Jun 17 2005, 11:23 AM, same thread.

"Here's what I recall Craig saying about AOS and Staying Alive:

Sometime in the late 70's / early 80's, TWI did a skit on the ROA stage about AOS. Supposedly, someone from Hollywood was in the audience watching, liked what he saw, and copied it for use in Staying Alive.

Loy got ticked off when Staying Alive came out, said they copied their ROA skit. So Loy copied, verbatim, the Satan's Alley section for AOS.

If anyone can be sued for copyright infringement, it would be TWI by the producers of Staying Alive."

outandabout, Jun 17 2005, 12:53 PM.

"LCM came through San Diego one time around 1984-85. He used a scripture about learning things from "a little bird."

In other words, the devil could transmit info via devil spirits. Thus, the original Athletes from ROA was given to the people who made "Stayin Alive." Therefore, TWI could take what they did in the movie and use it because it originally came from TWI.

Uh huh... of course it all made sense to me at the time because LCM said it.

He also was on his Seed of the Serpent trip. His big example was Steven Spielberg."

TheHighWay, Jun 17 2005, 09:35 PM.

" I was in-rez the year they were working on AOS, and every time Craig came to town (Emporia) he would talk at great length about every aspect of the production... his thought processes, the reasons behind all the costumes and dance moves, blah-dee-blah-blah... I'm sure I have the specifics somewhere in my notes, but off the top of my head, he stated that Sly Stallone was clearly "influenced" because at the time he and his wife were planning the timing of the conception of their child with star charts and the like. Because Sly was "influenced" he was getting insight into how to put "Satan's Alley" together accurately... ruling spirits, underling spirits, the decadence,writhing, etc. Craig said he wanted to do it from a Godly, Biblically accurate perspective. (essentially showing the devil up, not that he put it like that)."

My list of ripoffs from that thread:

"I caught the "Satan's Alley" segment.

They could have sued his head off.

"Satan's Alley" features:

the scaffolding

the villianess in red

the villains in masks

the grasping/writhing

the "hero" in white

the rising podium section

the grunting/yelling sound effects

the jumping combat

the flying kick

the white light representing the presence of God

the one-one-one combat towards the end with the guy's shirt off"

==============

Rascal, from the thread on the Passion of the Christ,

Mar 24 2004, 11:39 AM

"This reminds me of the whole athletes of the spirit fiasco....

LCM came to the advanced class ...he was so excited about having seen the *staying alive* movie with John Travolta....there was a scene where in the production John Travolta was doing involving a battle with devil spirits....Lcm was all hepped up about how twi could do it better ....more accuratly more skillfully more dramatically...yada yada ...and thus the conception of aos was born...simply because HE, lcm wanted to show the wolrd how twi could do it bigger and better than Holly wood ever could......

You know........even vpw couldn`t dissuade him from it....

That ws the way it always was when I was in twi....if they hadn`t done it first....it wasn`t worth doing...

Twi`s critisisms are so childish."

I think...I feel...sick...

loved the football exercise move by the Big Fathead.

Funny Vid, appropriate parody, oh the horror of it all....

And the tap dancing... and the muscleman poses...

If it weren't a funny parody... it would be most WIERD! :biglaugh:

Poor Rocky Horror song - to be used in such a way. *sigh*

God - I haven't seem AOS in a long time - but it makes me laugh to see all the goofy things they did... especially that fb exercise. (Oops! Someone beat me to it).

I remember when I was little I used to call the lady in red the "strawberry lady" because of her outfit.

SA - I saw that a few years back and I was like: this looks like AOS! They steal other people's reseach material AND they steal hollywood film ideas... awsome.

loved the football exercise move by the Big Fathead.

Funny Vid, appropriate parody, oh the horror of it all....

ditto ... :biglaugh:

I guess that is abbreviated enough to be considered "fair usage", though I would not be surprised if they take it down when TWI complains.

I guess the dancers had to confine themselves to moves the not so light on his feet Craig could do, like the goofy football drill.

What an egomaniac ...

Edited by rhino

Now on YouTube for your viewing pleasure :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlGesF2RFIc

LOLOLOLOL!!!! thanks for posting that, now whenever I have a horrifying flashback the little football player tap dance routine will loop through my head. gawd AOS was awful. I remember now feeling sorry for the real talent in that production because the lead dancer was so bad (I didn't know who he was when I first saw it). plus, I forgot how much crotch sniffing The Forehead got to do. what a loser!

parody is allowed by the copyright act, so twi has no rights where this is concerned.

:biglaugh::biglaugh: The Evan – love that YouTube clip – sheer genius!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

But Now I see, sorry you feel sick…but ya know - some theaters are sensitive to the feelings of their audience:

post-1636-1197315985_thumb.jpg

Evan!............thanks for taking the time to track that down and post the link!.......gawd!........the dancing prez!.........i had forgotten how absolutely awful that was!..........biblically, "spiritually" and from just the visual perspective!......it truly was "a sign of things to come"!.........the eve of destruction would also be a pertinent musical "footnote" to that piece!...........

and......my man, T-Bone!..........lmao!.........at your pic!..........you're a wiz with that photo stuff, dude!.........almost, "animalistic and vicious"................peace!