GreaseSpot Cafe

Another Wayfer Makes the News

Belle

Have you seen this?

They knew better this time. “They’d have to put me in handcuffs,” said the senior defensive end. “When somebody wants to talk about ‘the Word,’ I’m going to talk.”

Not one to be pushed, Johnson is digging in at Tech. He’s trying to fulfill his potential on the field, where some believe he will be first-round pick in next year’s NFL draft if stays healthy, and off, where new confidence has made him more willing than ever to talk about the Bible.

“I passed up too many opportunities to speak on the Word in the past,” he said. “I will never do that again.”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belle or Anyone,

Do You know which class they they are running now? VPW's or LCM's?

Hopefully, it is one that is a new and corrected version of both VPW's and LCM's, for this young man's sake....Well, not to worry GOD is still able to help Him find the truth!

GOD Bless Him in His life and His careers for His Love and desire to know GOD and His Word!!!

Belle,

I doubt that the article would have reported about TWI in such glowing terms if the author knew it was a well known cult. Looks like the young man was able to sucker some other footballers to take "the class". What? Don't football players have computers and know how to Google "The Way International"? I mean, these were Georgia Tech players. Its not like they went to Mississippi State or something. :biglaugh:

sudo

So now they're calling it a "research and teaching" ministry - took the "fellowship" out, I see. That's at least somewhat honest. No more "full sharing" for them. I wonder how they explained that to the rank and file, if they even bothered.

I pray that guy Derrick somebody does a little research and figures out it's a cult, even if nobody else thinks to. It seems to me if the guys could research the Hebrew words online, they could do a search on the way...

I know someone who took it recently but has been a little reluctant to show me the materials so I am not sure who's class it is based on, although I get the distinct impression from other peoples' posts that it is probably based on LCM's class :doh:

I do know for sure it is a taped class and there are multiple teachers.

I know someone who took it recently but has been a little reluctant to show me the materials so I am not sure who's class it is based on, although I get the distinct impression from other peoples' posts that it is probably based on LCM's class :doh:

I do know for sure it is a taped class and there are multiple teachers.

Thank You, (((((TheHighWay)))))),

I will second that emotion :doh:

QUOTE:

Previously spiritual yet soft-spoken, Johnson returned from a two-week course of intense Bible study in Ohio this summer emboldened. ... That’s big stuff. And Johnson was a big sight when he showed up at The Way International headquarters for advanced Bible study in June.

Definitely sounds like Johnson went to the Advanced class this summer and came back loud and proud.

-------

QUOTE:

“You never want to try to force anything on anybody. That’s not how it’s done,” Michael Johnson said. “I might say, ‘Hey, man, we’re having fellowship. Feel free to come hear the Word and apply it in your life.’ It’s non-denominational. Nobody’s trying to get anybody to join anything.”

Sam Johnson said, “We are not Bible freaks, so to speak, that everything that comes out of our mouth is quoting scripture, because that is a turnoff. It is Bible studies.”

-------

You know, I rememer having that same youthful enthusiasm and excitement... that same belief in the product and the group who was selling it. I guess as long as there are people who are hungry for SOMETHING to fix their lives, there will be a market for twi.

Really sad.

Edited by TheHighWay

I noted a few things.

A) His "recruits" seem to retain their own beliefs- one self-identifies as "Catholic"- which was a dirty word in twi until, apparently,

this guy entered the room. (I wonder how long before he hears someone condemn his beliefs?)

B) The first noteworthy person twi has been able to get into the news- and make no mistake, they never stop trying to find a

way to steal a headline- is someone who was completely raised in twi. His parents have been in for over 30 years,

and this guy's claim to claim is FOOTBALL.

C) He's also in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, NOT isolated from other Christians.

In other words,

A) He's not as effective a "witnessing tool" as they would like.

B) This is the best the entire organization could find to push into the limelight. And he's known for his sports abilities,

not his mental acumen or professional excellence. Not to say his accomplishments don't count, but the absence of noteworthy

professionals across the entire organization says something.

C) They're hoping he can establish a "beachhead" in the FCA, but at the same time, he's exposed to other Christians,

some of whom will be skilled on their own.

Belle,

Good pick up and thanks for posting it here. I found that when I clicked on the article's author (Matt Winklejohn) that I was given the option of e-mailing him. I thought about it a bit and then decided to go on and e-mail him because he probably didn't KNOW that TWI was a cult. I can't understand why a reporter of all people wouldn't check out a group he's reporting on. I told him to just Google The Way International and for a really good site... just go to www.greasespotcafe.com.

I bet if he got lots of e-mails he'd REALLY look into the matter.

sudo

Tony Collins-revisited-1981-82 Patriots.

If you click on the reporters name--his email address comes up. You can write him and tell him about TWI.

Sounds like he didn't do any research and just took this Johnson's "word" and ran with it. You can also write his editor or copy him on the email if you send one.

If anyone is interested in doing this.

Sorry-didn't see Sudo's post--I did the same thing!!!

Edited by geisha779

Geisha,

Re:"I did the same thing!!!"

Good for you! Now lets see if any of us get replies. I'd bet Mr. Winklejohn won't be making any retractions, though. He wanted to do a puff piece for Georgia Tech it looks like to me. Is Raf reading this thread? What are your thoughts on this reporter and his article?

sudo

P.S. Yeah, we were posting at the same time Geisha :)

QUOTE:

You know, I remember having that same youthful enthusiasm and excitement... that same belief in the product and the group who was selling it. I guess as long as there are people who are hungry for SOMETHING to fix their lives, there will be a market for twi.

Really sad.

Reminds me of "the good, old days," too. We had something that blessed us, and we wanted to share it with others. (I have a jack, and I WILL help you!) He'll find out, eventually. I hope it doesn't quell his desire to serve God.

George

if twi does as much for young mr. johnson as it did for young tony collins, then mr. johnson has a great deal of trouble to look forward to! of course, tony's ruin was "all his fault"........that will be the company line, and, if his parents are indeed "30 year members", it will be their line too. perhaps, with the doofus from okie now as "involved" with twi as tony collins is, maybe.......just maybe, michael johnson will have a better chance at keeping himself free from drugs and womanizing as his twi "athletes of the spirit" predecessors did...........but, since it's still rosie the rattlesnake in charge of twi, one of king okie's most faithful co-conspirators, i think eventually, mr. johnson's public profile will suffer from his foolish attachments to twi doctrine and practice.

if twi's "new class" has its roots and doctrines based in either vic's or the doofus from okie's "biblical research", then twi is still the corrupt, self-serving, cult that it's always been. if michael's parents are still "innies" after all these years, his openess to learning the truth about the destructive pseudo-scripture he's been spoonfed since birth, will never afford him the opportunity to break free from the mythical, mystical, gnostic garbage that he's been brainwashed into believing to be "the word"...........hopefully, the others he's recruited will have less family pressure to accept rosie's version of her predecessors' dysfunctionally perverted "biblical research" than mr. johnson is stuck with.........maybe the e-mails some have sent to the college "journalist" who wrote that nice little "puff piece" will have some affect..........we'll see............but, in the meantime, i'm praying for michael to have the personal strength and integrity to be able to handle the inevitable sh1tstorm and personal turmoil his "public" involvement with twi is sure to engender!..................wishing him an open mind, enlightened god-consciousness, and, most of all......................peace.

Guys,

Clearly, neither the reporter nor the editor were aware of The Way, or they chose not to broadcast their awareness. Far as the reporter was concerned, this is a nice story about a guy who's serious about church, period. I'd put this in the category of "face value" journalism: it's about what people say and do, not about anything deeper than that. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, unless there's something beneath the surface, as we know there is in this case.

Had I been the editor, I'd have recused myself from this story and explained exactly why.

Belle or Anyone,

Funny enough, I ran into my "innie contact" today so I asked some specific questions about what was and was not covered in the class. From this person's responses it definitely sounds like it is Martindale's class with just a couple changes. (no lesbian eve)

I can't understand why a reporter of all people wouldn't check out a group he's reporting on. I told him to just Google The Way International and for a really good site... just go to www.greasespotcafe.com.

I bet if he got lots of e-mails he'd REALLY look into the matter.

sudo

REALLY look into the matter and do exactly what?....Write a follow-up story and say that in spite of what I previously reported, this young man Johnson, who was born and raised in the Way International and now, being old enough to make his own decisions and of his own free will opts to take a two week class at the Way International, returns to college and tells other teammates, his closest friends, about it, and in spite of this cult's mind-controlling forceful techniques, still is managing to fulfill his natural abilities and play college football, with a good shot at being drafted in the first round by the pros if he stays healthy---um, what exactly are you telling the reporter that the cult is doing to this young man?

I wish this young man nothing but the best. He could be on a street corner selling dope rather than seeking God and trying to be the best athlete he can be.

Honestly, I think bombarding the writer of a puff piece on a college athlete with lots of cult alarms will serve to do nothing but make this kid's life miserable.

I don't understand what you hope to accomplish. He was raised in twi and apparently is happy to follow the path his parents laid out for him. Do you think he'll come to GSC, gasp, and try to rescue his parents? More likely, he will take the stance we did when we were young and zealous and write off all the cult talk as the venting of disgruntled former members, just like we did. And instead of concentrating on his studies and athletics, he'll probably be distracted by being forced to defend himself against those who criticize him for being in a cult.

Nothing against any of you; I'm sure you mean well, but I don't get this tactic at all.

If this reporter were writing an article about religion or cults, I could see taking him to task for not doing his homework. The interviewee mentioned that he's in twi. It's incidental to the story. He could have just as well said I'm a Roman Catholic. Then would the reporter be obliged to do an expose on pedophilia among priests?

I wish this young man nothing but the best. He could be on a street corner selling dope rather than seeking God and trying to be the best athlete he can be.

Honestly, I think bombarding the writer of a puff pice on a college athlete with lots of cult alarms will serve to do nothing but make this kid's life miserable.

What do you hope to accomplish? He was raised in twi and apparently is happy to follow the path his parents laid out for him. Do you think he'll come to GSC, gasp, and try to rescue his parents? More likely, he will take the stance we did when we were young and zealous and write off all the cult talk as the venting of disgruntled former members, just like we did. And instead of concentrating on his studies and athletics, he'll be forced to defend himself against those who criticize him for being in a cult.

Nothing against any of you; I'm sure you mean well, but I don't get this tactic at all.

It wasn't a tactic.

I was offended by the way TWI was portrayed as a nice little bible group Linda. I wrote to express my opinion. I may have mentioned - Suicide-Rape-Abuse-Money Grubbing. I wanted to.

I wish the best for this young man as well. If he is seeking God--I --ME--MY opinion is that he is about as far away as he can get in TWI's-gnostic -name it and claim it --absent Christ--gospel. But hey, that is my opinion.

I even write "letters to the editor" sometimes. I write my Congressmen and Senators. I write to prisoners. I post here.

I didn't write in protest---I wrote because I wanted to. I wrote to express myself--not to speak for anyone else. Hope that helps.