GreaseSpot Cafe

CP 1,2,3,4,5

Imagine

once you've reinterpreted the "corps principles" so that they're practical for real life, they're no longer the "corps principles". your "interpretation" is your personal statement of beliefs. why not just skip the middle man and let go of twi's constructs? it's not necessary to have 5 principles to live by, but you can if that's what works for you. life isn't one size fits all.

I think you've got a good point there, Potato. I like the way you put that – TWI's constructs. Our mindset assumed anything from TWI was okay. We assumed the Corps principles were the standard of excellence and based on something real.

The Corps program was just a reinforcement of PFAL, played out in a Gestapo-like setting. It was all about being assimilated into the system – your life became their property. vp said "The Word" takes the place of the absent Christ; I say the Corps program takes the place of having a life.

3. Physical training making your physical body, the vehicle of communication of

the Word, as vital as possible.

Yep.

I can sure see where chain smoking Kool "shorties" and maintaining a constant state of drunkenness with an endless flow of Drambuie would exemplify this one. <_<

Edited by waysider

Christ.. what did you want.. a boy you could name vic..

sorry "moron".. "accidents" happen..

numbnuts..

I can see more, but I don't think we want to go there..

ok.. ham's monologue is done. Mr. "rocky".. please make sure mr. m gets these little messages..

:biglaugh:

CP3

Physical training making your body the vehicle of God's Word as vital as possible.

My interpretation:

I try to eat healthy. I faithfully exercise. I want my body to be full of vitality so I can serve God as best as I can.

Any problems so far?

CP 1

Acquire an in-depth spiritual perception and awareness.

My understanding:

Try to be God's eyes and see people's needs and serve them as God shows you the need. Be aware when there are hurting people around you and take care of their hearts.

Any problems with this lifestyle?

CP 2

Receive training in the whole word so as to be able to teach others also.

My thoughts:

The Whole Bible should be believed, not just chose the part I want to adhere to. The purpose of my study is not to be selfish but to be for the reason that it would help me share with others scripture that may help them at certain times in their life.

CP 2

My thoughts:

The Whole Bible should be believed, not just chose the part I want to adhere to. The purpose of my study is not to be selfish but to be for the reason that it would help me share with others scripture that may help them at certain times in their life.

CP 4

Practice believing to bring abundance to yourself and the ministry.

Right thinking, George. How perspective you are.

My take on this one.

I want to trust God and believe that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. When God gives me a gift which could be an ability or money or possessions, I want to have the attitude to share them with others. I will seek out ministries that are doing good, doing justice and share my resources with them.

CP 5 Last One

Go forth in areas of concern, interest and need.

I must be willing to not just live for myself, but go forth as God directs. God will direct me to areas when He is already working and ask me to join him. God will show me who He wants me to be concerned about and where the need is. I will have a choice then to obey or walk away.

Any comments?

Imagine, I wasn`t trying to be flippant, or argumentative. I really do have a few thoughts in answer to your question. When I personally was attempting to *live* the corpes principles it was all part and parcel of the *I`m still controlling God and my spiritual growth by my actions* arrogance.

If I do a + b + c I will be spiritually strong, sharp, safe, prosperous, whatever.

In reality, it was all still about works and what I did, and then expected God as a matter of course to do in return. It was about me being in control...

When I realized that I knew nothing really...when my world came crashing down around my ears in spite of he strictest adherence to principles and practices....when I knew that nothing I had ever been taught about God was to be trusted...I was (by God) asked could I start all over again with *Love God and Love my neighbor* as a starting place.....square one....as my new foundation to build upon.

Life became so much simple then...my in depth knowledge meant nothing...my physical body meant nothing...my willingness to help others was silly, I had nothing, no answers to give...

I am saying that when I went back top the simple basics of the instructions that Jesus gave us as the two great commandments....life changed dramatically for me.

It just puts you in a different place mentally. It opens the doors for God to work in so many new and wonderful ways that were unconsidered when I thought that I was in control with my believing and my in depth spiritual knowledge...etc.

In my personal experience the corpes principles were very limiting and confining. It was the sand foundation that my house was built upon...when the rising waters came, the whole thing washed away.

Edited by rascal

Corps principles regurgitated, revised & rejected:

Corps principle # 1

Acquire an inept perpetual sense of hokum. Remember the integrity of absurdity is always at stake. If there's not a devil spirit behind every tree, believe God to put them there. Plan B: ask yourself what would Harry Potter do? Plan C: may the Force be with you.

Corps principle # 2

Receive training in the whole array of smoke & mirrors so as to be able to con others. When lacking documentation resort to saying: "I remember when Doctor taught this verse to our Corps."

Corps principle # 3

Physical training making your body the vehicle for the man-o-gawd when he's got his vehicle parked out back. And as for you guys, make sure the Way Bumper sticker is in pristine condition on your old clunker-of-a-WOW-mobile.

Corps principle # 4

Practice mooching off other folks so you don't have to waste time working at a real job…and remember The Way in your will.

Corps principle # 5

Go froth at the mouth in a royal hissy fit, any time someone complains about you getting all up in their bidness. You're Corps dammit!

Edited by T-Bone

And let's not forget corps "principle" number six:

If you so wacked out by even rosie, or loy's standards, that they won't let you run the corps and ministry anymore..

just open shop somewhere else. Preferably, where they've never heard of da way..

:biglaugh:

I think one thing that should have gotten at least an eyebrow or 2 raised

is that vpw said he came up with the original phrasings

(before lcm made them OCD poster children)

"in about 10 minutes."

Care to base your LIFE on something that took 1 person a few minutes

to work out?

care to base your LIFE on someone who coerced you in order to finally do the nasty when you weren't mentally present ?

here's a nice def. for coerce

to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, esp. without regard for individual desire or volition

not sure about the part in coerce where free will is gone

First, let me say that Fellow Laborers were bound to these same five principles.

With that said, why is it that, during the entire duration of FLO4 (2 years in rez.), VPW never so much as set foot on Limb HQ grounds, much less did he present any sort of formal teaching to us. (ie: instruction in "The Whole Word") Our entire academic curriculum consisted of a Wednesday night, formal butt chewing session, where, frequently, the only "Word" that was ever taught was whatever it took to demonstrate how inferior we all were and remind us of how we were dragging down the whole "ministry".. Other than that, it was re-hashing the collaterals over and over and over again at night twig. "International" was only 2 hours away by car. And, there was an airstrip about 15 minutes away from Limb HQ that could have accommodated Ambassador One, making it a very simple trip in and out. But no VPW. Nope. Never once. And don't even think about suggesting that we could have formed study groups or studied independently. We were usually lucky to even find a couple free hours on Sunday afternoon to catch up on laundry. There was almost no time to even sit and read the Bible for a few minutes, for pleasure, in the typical day. Up at 5am----back in bed, with lights out, at midnight curfew. In between that was work, work, work.

2. Receive training in the whole Word so as to be able to teach others?????

I think not.

Edited by waysider

What a shame, Waysider. There you and others were willing spirits...ready and eager to learn. Willing to put it all out on the line "for the cause" and all they thought to do was hammer you into the ground!

I am amazed that you have the integrity you have now. How much effort did it take to continue to believe in yourself enough to rise above that serious pounding?!

Is that what it all was for "leadership track"???? Dog eat dog! "I have to prove I'm better than you" which often is all that serious criticism and beating down accomplishes. I for one am glad you rose above that stuff.

CP 1,2,3,4,5

1. Acquire an in-depth spiritual perception and awareness.

.......wierwille stood at the top of the pecking order and would tell you when/if you "acquired" it.

2. Receive training in the whole Word so as to be able to teach others.

.......receive indoctrination and go get your family and friends (multi-level marketing).

3. Physical training yada yada....

.......needed a category to justify the work/slave program in corps and flo.

4. Practice believing to bring material abundance to you and the ministry.

.......subtlely injected at #4...MONEY was/is the core issue of the self-serving org.

5. Go forth as leaders and workers in areas of concern, interest, and need.

.......the LEASH that twi assumes to hold a lifetime over the corps.

<_<

CP 2

My thoughts:

Does that include believing the earth, sun and moon were made in six days? Does it matter that the Hubble Telescope has recorded the background noise of the Big Bang and that the age of the universe can be calculated at 14 billion years, give or take 500 million by the red shift of celestial bodies? Must we believe that Noah welcomed two of every animal no matter how small? Must we believe also believe that all the continents formed one mega-continent at the time of Noah even though at the rate of continental drift, no continent should be more than a couple of football fields from any other one today?

Edited by oenophile

I have a photo on my bookshelf of that sign that was outside the Chalet, the one with the Corps principles on it. Hmm, why do I keep it?

(pause for pondering)

Because at bottom, I must still appreciate the intent as I first perceived it.

And it reminds me of some fine people that I knew.

Somehow it seems dissociated from the organisation. Weird. Is it time to burn some chaff?

I have a photo on my bookshelf of that sign that was outside the Chalet, the one with the Corps principles on it. Hmm, why do I keep it?

(pause for pondering)

Because at bottom, I must still appreciate the intent as I first perceived it.

And it reminds me of some fine people that I knew.

Somehow it seems dissociated from the organisation. Weird. Is it time to burn some chaff?

Far be it from me to tell someone how to live their life. But since you asked...YES!!!

It's like death to let go of some of that (for better words) *stuff*..

the last bit of memoriabilia I had was the little segment of pfal *doc* vic sent out to us on the fortieth anniversary of der vey it was..

I couldn't throw it away.. somebody here on GS had enough mercy to graciously receive it..

thanks friend..

If you have to ask - no.

If someone "suggests" that's it's time - no.

It really is ok to hold on to the good and I wish that I hadn't been so quick to dispose of my past before I had time to sift through it and make sense of it.

• Upvote 1

BUT, ISN'T THE WHOLE POINT OF KNOWING GOD AND HIS WORD, NOT TO BE LIKE THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES? ARE WE ALLOWING THOSE WHOM WE CRITICIZE AND VILIFY TO BE OUR JUDGES AND JURORS BY DOING THE EXACT SAME THINGS THAT THEY DO? WAKE UP AND DO NOT PROSTRATE YOURSELVES TO VENOMOUS SPEWING AND HATEFUL OUTBURSTS. LET YOUR GOOD BE SHOWN TO ALL BY CURBING YOUR DARK SIDE, WILL.

BUT, ISN'T THE WHOLE POINT OF KNOWING GOD AND HIS WORD, NOT TO BE LIKE THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES? ARE WE ALLOWING THOSE WHOM WE CRITICIZE AND VILIFY TO BE OUR JUDGES AND JURORS BY DOING THE EXACT SAME THINGS THAT THEY DO? WAKE UP AND DO NOT PROSTRATE YOURSELVES TO VENOMOUS SPEWING AND HATEFUL OUTBURSTS. LET YOUR GOOD BE SHOWN TO ALL BY CURBING YOUR DARK SIDE, WILL.

A) Typing in all capital letters means, online that one is SHOUTING.

B) When someone finds me criticizing others who are doing wrong, and accuses me of using

2 x 4 on them when it's inappropriate,

BUT USES A 2 X 4 TO SAY SO,

I consider that HYPOCRISY.

This short post was more venomous, spewfilled, and hateful- and certainly more of an OUTBURST,

than the posts it criticizes.

There's a difference between "I disagree with you" and "you're hateful and screaming at me."

This post obviously has skipped it.

Let me know if you want some assistance with that log in your eye. THEN you can help me with the splinter in mine.

:asdf:

Interesting. In *this* world, your post is construed as an "outburst" because it is in all caps. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter what you said, it might matter how it is perceived.

The other thing with sociopaths (and I believe that any unrepentant "leader", current or former, of TWI is a sociopath) is that they count on people conforming to social norms and not confronting the bad behavior. Any attempt to confront will cause them to claim that any criticism (or whatever you want to call it) on your part is worse, because by golly, you should know better.

• Upvote 1