GreaseSpot Cafe

Do They Still Give Awards For TWI Longevity?

Oakspear

At the anniversary weekend in 2000 awards were given out (certificates I think) for people who had been "in the Word" for 20, 25, 30, 40 etc years.

I had taken PFAL in 1978, 22 years earlier, but didn't get a certificate because I wasn't active for about 7 years in the middle of that time. :(

Do they still do that?

• Upvote 1

they wanted to give me a 20 year certificate in 2006. I'd already kinda left by the time they offered, and they offered many months after my 20th anniversary of taking piffle.

now, who knows? seems like lifers must be dwindling by now.

• Upvote 1

Well, if they were still doling those out in 2006, I'm guessing they still are today.

Lifers being rare is kinda the point... somehow they think by handing me a certificate I'm going to feel all tingley and special, and that will make me keep drinking the cool-aid for another 20 years. It doesn't get much more lame than this, folks.

• Upvote 2

Possibly they give one of these, properly mounted..

blue-footed-booby2.jpg

The rest of the "boobie prizes" I ggogled would likely be removed by a moderator..

:biglaugh:

It was a difficult task, but I sorted through all of them to find one suitable for the audience here. Don't thank me all at once..

Was a reason ever given awards for sticking around? I remember them starting but thought it was weird at the time. The folks getting them seemed a little awkward. One couple had been in 20 years, were dumped from the corpse and still kept slaving away. And they got a piece of paper? Woohoo!!!!! :blink:

So what were the levels? 20 and up?

JT

• Upvote 1

Ah.. so there is another "dated" one here..

Its official name was The Flying Fickled Finger of Fate, sometimes referred to as the Rigid Digit.

The award might be more suitable to the bot or various "leaders".. some even out of da ministry now..

Didn't we just have a thread on how so many seem to lack longevity period? It is no wonder they are handing out certificates to those who make beyond a certain point!

Edited by geisha779
  • Upvote 1

I got one,even though I was gone approx 5 years,It was determined that I

was lied to by a limb co-ord and would have stayed faithful.

When they(twi)gave it they said my name and to come up,silence,after what seemed like an eterity,

I got up to receive it,I had a quiet room as I said nothing when I received it.

Whoopie as I left in the next 6 mos.

At the anniversary weekend in 2000 awards were given out (certificates I think) for people who had been "in the Word" for 20, 25, 30, 40 etc years.

I had taken PFAL in 1978, 22 years earlier, but didn't get a certificate because I wasn't active for about 7 years in the middle of that time. :(

Do they still do that?

Was anyone here told the reason (real or not) that these were done? Anything Biblical or just the usual Way-speak?

JT

I don't remember what reasons that they gave. At the time I had mentally checked out of TWI and was a regular at GS. It was strange that they were honoring the "old-timers" since for the previous five years we had been treated with contempt by the recently graduated Way Corps. I also thought it was petty to deduct time that we weren't active in fellowships from the total. :rolleyes:

I believe that this was also the first year that Martindale wasn't the President. Ordinarily the anniversary was an occassion for fire-breathing by the forehead, but this one, with RFR in charge, was an example of the blandness to come.

I recently celebrated by 20th year out. When do I get my award?

post-1024-124861182863_thumb.gif

Professor Scarecrow hereby conveys to you the "I guess I had a brain Award." Pursuant to all such matters and henceforth, to whit, you shall be known as a smartie for ditching The Whiners of Odz and coming back to the real world. Congratulations!!!!!

JT