GreaseSpot Cafe

Rock of Ages

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Of course, they changed all that...the creepy little control freaks started regulating everything...it went down the toilet fast.

Oh man...you were smart to get out when you did. The last few ROA's were horrible.

The theme was "Living Sanctified" and Martindale pitched the evening teachings as The Class on Living Sanctified. Attendance at the evening teaching was mandatory as was the morning series about Moses & Joshua (we were entering the "Promised Land of the Prevailing Mixed Metaphor" doncha know?)Attendance at late morning twigs was also mandatory. When they announced that there would be no more ROA's it was all I could do to keep from cheering out loud.

Yes, some parts of Ohio have sulfur in the water. So does Florida. And I just about betcha Washington too.

But the overall post is still very insulting.

You can taste it coming to the surface in places like Big Bone Lick. Just stick you finger in a puddle.

Yellow Springs, OH has lithium in the water too, which is why is was once a popular tourist attraction.

hey, I grew up in the sticks. I called them crayfish. Sometimes I called them bass bait.

The soft shell ones worked pretty good for bait.

I never knew a country person to call them crayfish. Matter of fact, I remember in science class wondering what the heck a crayfish was, then I saw a picture. Told the teacher the book was wrong, that's a crawdad. :)

Gee whiz, I missed ROA 1994 because I was being saved from death in a nearby hospital. Missed most of 1995, the last one, including the mandatory morning teachings and twigs, and some of the evening ones, because we went to hang out with our families instead. When the axe fell, all I could think was "THANK YOU GOD!!!!!"

wg

The theme was "Living Sanctified" and Martindale pitched the evening teachings as The Class on Living Sanctified. Attendance at the evening teaching was mandatory as was the morning series about Moses & Joshua (we were entering the "Promised Land of the Prevailing Mixed Metaphor" doncha know?)Attendance at late morning twigs was also mandatory. When they announced that there would be no more ROA's it was all I could do to keep from cheering out loud.

OMG, I completely forgot about that!!! Didn't they later sell the tapes? There was probably mandatory reviews like everything else. And the required "we love you, O MOGFODAT!" notes on a 3x5 card. Ugh, how I hated those. So phony! What an ego nut!!!

Do the TWIts still have to send cards to Rosie too?

JT

The soft shell ones worked pretty good for bait.

I never knew a country person to call them crayfish. Matter of fact, I remember in science class wondering what the heck a crayfish was, then I saw a picture. Told the teacher the book was wrong, that's a crawdad. :)

you left the shell on? :biglaugh:

Well sorry folks. I only lived in Buckland for two years. But it did nothing to endear me to the state. Sorry, but it DOES smell bad. ESPECIALLY at The Rock, given that you're crowding thousands of people into a small space, with the GAWDAWFUL water (and, no I'm not retreating on that one iota, it's ugly, get over it), the humidity and the porta-potties, the mud, the mold and mildew, and the rotting traces of whatever that's left around. It was not a pleasant place after a day or two.

But don't take it too personally. I don't think much of anyplace east of the Rockies. Why anybody would want to live where there's no scenery, the rivers are rolling mud, and the landscape is cut up into 1-square-mile sections is completely beyond my comprehension. Then throw in the oppressive humidity and you the have a recipe for my personal hell. Should there actually be such a place, rest assured that mine will look a lot like Ohio (or maybe Alabama). You CAN grow good tomatoes there, though. THAT I do miss.

geo. > from ground-zero of the uppity, liberal, latte-swilling, granola-eating, God-rejecting, Gay-rights-defending, snobbish, self-important, Microsoft-working capital of the world (yes, I AM hopeless)...

• Upvote 1

George, one time we came back for a visit (when we lived in Everett) and when we got on the plane for the return trip, there were a couple dozen native Washingtonians with Ohio ties on board, each and everyone one carrying a large brown paper bag full of tomatoes.

The water around here is pretty good, thanks to Kinetico and a Brita filter pitcher. I gotta admit the aquifer was pretty darn decent in Everett.

By the way, Charleston, SC can have 100% humidity, 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and NO RAIN. So you might want to add it to your list of "Where I don't want to be."

When we came up from Charleston in August, we thought the weather mild and dry. Really.

WG

ok porta potties and local ground water stank, and Martindale threw a temper tantrum, oops teaching morning noon and night. How about the great sleeze ball and founder/CEO(?)/ former Prez, the unhonorable VPW? charging admission for a week of music and food? (See previous post about local rally). Does anyone know if they rented the circus tents from Ringling Brothers/Barnum and Baily in Florida? and do you think older Way Productions could compete with today's CCM groups mentioned in the first post of the topic?

As far as the original Way Productions, I think (and I'm certainly no professional musician) that they were about as talented as anyone I've seen. However, I think they were stifled by the requirements of the ministry in general; music was written specifically for TWI and had to line up with their beliefs, thus did not appeal to the mainstream Christian audience. In later years, it just got worse with all the micromanagement.

Just my opinion.

WG

Any way these posts can be added to the others?

do you think older Way Productions could compete with today's CCM groups mentioned in the first post of the topic?

In a word, NO! Not even close. I think a lot of Christian groups look to perform for their audience. WayProd was a tool for other purposes. I'm not a musician but I would think that there is usually SOME thought about the people listening when you perform? By the time ROA ended, it was pretty robotic. Kind of like the Soup video on GSC's home page. Just REALLY bad. Like the rest of TWI's garbage, it came across as lifeless. Like the poor stiffs probably felt about their future. In their 40's and up with no real prospects for the future.

Don't all dictators have women performing for their amusement?

JT

When I think of the "original" Way groups, I think of the groups from the early '70's like Pressed Down, Good Seed, Cookin' Mama, Selah----

These weren't groups that were put together by The Way. They were, for the most part, existing groups who became involved with The Way. Could they compete with groups today? I don't know. I do know, though, that they were pretty stiff competition for my attention compared to what was existing at that point in time.

When I think of the "original" Way groups, I think of the groups from the early '70's like Pressed Down, Good Seed, Cookin' Mama, Selah----

These weren't groups that were put together by The Way. They were, for the most part, existing groups who became involved with The Way. Could they compete with groups today? I don't know. I do know, though, that they were pretty stiff competition for my attention compared to what was existing at that point in time.

That's kind of who I was thinking of too, along with Ted F., Claudettee Royal, and the Joyful Noise group that toured the WOW cities in 1974.

WG

My First ROA was in '75. I loved the ROA...I loved the music, I loved meeting new people...I looked forward to it every year. For me, I could see a difference when the transitioning began to take place from one leader to the next. My last ROA was in 1987, and that was just a really strange ROA with all that was going on at that time. I left after attending that ROA.

I loved the music, Pressed Down, Joyful Noise, Branded, and so on. I am a musician so of course that was a major love for me. I learned their songs and listened to their music all the time. In fact, the deciding factor for me to actually get involved with the ministry was the time I went to a coffeehouse and heard their music. Do I think they measure of to the christian groups of today? Well, musically I think they do...and some of the songs they sang were very healing to me....words of comfort. Others were fun. And of course, Now I know a lot of the lyrics were really not the truth. I believe in the beginning when I was around, the songs dealt with Being Born Again....Searching for answers, and finally getting born again. Songs that dealt with some of the pain before etc. And the joy of being free in Christ. Years going by, I think the message changed a lot. I don't have any of those recordings any more, nor do I play the songs any more...I changed to Christian artists of today...That came with the change in the doctrine I now believe. I think the heart of the musicians in the early years were loving and kind and with no agenda in mind. Later I am not sure about that. And of course since I left in 87, I don't know what ROA was like after that or the music. I moved on.

I do think that the music of then was focused on Our relationship with God and His love for us, and what He would do for us...and I think the Christian music is more focused on our worship of God.

Of course the teachings I now know were not the real truth...and what you preach makes a difference in what you sing.

Only thing I didn't like about the ROA.....the line for the showers!

Okay, I'm just picking up on complaints about portaloos. Field Corps were usually assigned to clean portaloos - "to keep them meek" (yeah right). I got this task several years running (but then, I was always being told I wasn't meek enough). And I have to say that I kept the banks of portas for which I was responsible spotlessly clean, smell free and a pleasure to use.

I can't speak for whoever cleaned the men's toilets. Maybe they didn't do such a good job.

Or maybe some of you men should have stopped using the bushes. Nobody cleaned them.