GreaseSpot Cafe

Where's the Library?

taxicab

In Emporia Kansas Wierwille Library was used quite extensively even though there weren't any books in it. I spent many days and nights listening to the droning from the Bully Pulpit from "Top Floor Wierwille". Conversely the building that actually had books, Owens Library, was never used. The books were never even categorized. Anyone else ever wonder about the ghost of the building called "Owens Library?"

• Upvote 1

At the time Emporia was being prepared for auction, the librarian (Gayle??) went from Ohio to view the library and to select any books that she wanted for the HQ library. These were crated up for transportation to Ohio. The remainder of the books were crated up for auction.

She estimated the number of those she was taking, and the number of those to be disposed of. First time she had seen the library but she walked round and estimated the total number of books. She was pretty close, within about 100 books or so. Impressive.

No idea where the books she wanted for HQ went, because the library there didn't occupy that much space. It was extended slightly, but nothing like enough for all the books.

I used to use the library occasionally when I was doing my research project or whatever they called it. Don't know that I ever saw anyone else there.

• Upvote 1

In Emporia Kansas Wierwille Library was used quite extensively even though there weren't any books in it. I spent many days and nights listening to the droning from the Bully Pulpit from "Top Floor Wierwille". Conversely the building that actually had books, Owens Library, was never used. The books were never even categorized. Anyone else ever wonder about the ghost of the building called "Owens Library?"

Never ??? no one went there? why did they have it? What a waste!

Waysider excellent link.

Never ??? no one went there? why did they have it? What a waste!

Waysider excellent link.

Perhaps I can shed some light here. I was also College Division the first year '75/76. Part of the purpose of Owens Library (I remember it as Anderson Library but maybe they changed it) was to get accredidation for The Way College of Emporia. My recollection is that when the BOT purchased the college they thought the accredidation of the original College of Emporia would come with it. What I heard was that the ooriginal C of E had let the accredidation lapse. But I also heard that the Kansas Board of Regents revoked or would not approve an accredidation once TWI purchased it. I don't know which is true. A college could not be accredited unless it had a decent library. Occasionally the Kansas Board of Regents would visit to evaluate the "school" and Donald Wierwille wanted to show them a library. It didn't matter that very few people in the WC or College Division actually used the place. The books that were in there had little or nothing to do with what was being taught in the "classrooms". But I'm sure what was available in the library was true state of the art. However, as someone mentioned, there were some good books to be read in there albeit secular. I forget where they purchased the books. Oh yes, you could check out SNS tapes and read research papers from former Way Corps! That was, of course, something we all clamoured to do on our "self-structured time".

Anderson LIbrary (as it was originally called) itself was kind of a neat building as far as the architecture was concerned and I liked that rotunda. I believe it was one of a handful of libraries that Andrew Carnegie donated for higher education. I heard they've torn everything down and built a strip mall. Is that true?

Edited by erkjohn

Sorry about that. My memory failed me, it was called Anderson Library. I was there in the 8th. Corps around 77-79 ish. From what I remember, the books that were in the library were left there from the previous owners. TWI didn't go out and buy any books, and I don't think they ever put any WAY books in the library. I didn't ever go to the Library the whole time I worked on my Research Paper. Perhaps, it was someone's Corps job to try and organize it but I don't really remember that. Don Wierwille would have loved to have an accredited institution but that was never going to happen and I don't think it was just the lack of a library. TWI didn't have accredited people teaching any classes, or were some of those people professor's and I just didn't know about it? LCM, Gerald Wrenn, John Lynn, Johnny Townsend, Earl Burton, etc. ad nauseam.

I was married but I remember hearing that there were mattresses up there and the single Corps would go up there to "fellowship". :knuddel:

• Upvote 1

Don Wierwille would have loved to have an accredited institution but that was never going to happen and I don't think it was just the lack of a library.

More likely people with doctorate degrees are too educated and accomplished to put up with the so-called "research" standards and too independant to be bullied around.

I thought Anderson Library was a designated historical building and it can't be torn down. It would be a shame if it were because it was a really beautiful building, I thought.

I remember I looked up the LIFE magazine that had that article about the "groovy Christians of Rye, NY."

It takes more than just a library to become accredited...

Hmmmm>>>

The shame of it all is that there was all that knowledge and people ignored it for .. well you know what I mean and since I am taking College classes now I can honestly say the ability to read the works of some of the all time literary greats and analyze it and understand what they were saying is probably one of the lessons that will do more for my life than any other skill set I learn there.

Certainly more than what I learned thru TWI!

I am still kicking my self ... how stupid was I????

Here is a very very brief over view of what exactly College accreditation is.

http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/college-accreditation.html

It takes more than just a library to become accredited...

Hmmmm>>>

The shame of it all is that there was all that knowledge and people ignored it for .. well you know what I mean and since I am taking College classes now I can honestly say the ability to read the works of some of the all time literary greats and analyze it and understand what they were saying is probably one of the lessons that will do more for my life than any other skill set I learn there.

Certainly more than what I learned thru TWI!

I am still kicking my self ... how stupid was I????

Here is a very very brief over view of what exactly College accreditation is.

http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/college-accreditation.html

Yeah, it takes more than a library but ya gotta have one if you want to be a college. Looking at from a broader view. IMO Wierwill was trying to compete, at least in his mind, with Oral Roberts. I mean look at it. Oral has a college in Tulsa, Wierwille wanted a college and Emporia wasn't all that far from Tulsa. Oral JR. was president of ORU, VP brought his son on board to run WCOE. You can actually get a bonified degree from ORU, Wierwille wanted the same thing but he didn't have the resources so he went with that "adjunct faculty" thing. There wasn't a chance it was going to be accredited but maybe VP and DE thought they could "believe" for it to come to pass. I'm just speculating here.

And then they gave us a graduation certificate. I think mine says "Bachelor of Theology" because that's what you got if you already had a degree. I used to put it on resumes until I realized it wasnt' worth it. It's bogus anyway. Too bad.

Yeah...but that degree was from The Way College of Biblical Research Indiana Campus. I don't know how they pulled that one off.

Yeah, it takes more than a library but ya gotta have one if you want to be a college. Looking at from a broader view. IMO Wierwill was trying to compete, at least in his mind, with Oral Roberts. I mean look at it. Oral has a college in Tulsa, Wierwille wanted a college and Emporia wasn't all that far from Tulsa. Oral JR. was president of ORU, VP brought his son on board to run WCOE. You can actually get a bonified degree from ORU, Wierwille wanted the same thing but he didn't have the resources so he went with that "adjunct faculty" thing. There wasn't a chance it was going to be accredited but maybe VP and DE thought they could "believe" for it to come to pass. I'm just speculating here.

Yes but they teach Real College courses at ORU like math science there is a business program, a nursing program. etc...

Not what you were taught in the Corps. But I see what you mean .. How he was competing.

I guess mostly I find it annoying this false arrogance that I too had because we knew the word and how to study.

in reality we knew squat. .

Sorry I know you all have been there but the longer I am at GSC the more I realize how much we were duped.

And mostly on the say so of some one with out checking into it or really getting a full over view of what we were doing.. all because it had the God label on it.. or Biblical research .. IT gave it a cache of respectability.

VP may have wanted a college but really he never set it up like a real college in the first place and shame on Don W for even lending his degree to it all.

VP may have wanted a college but really he never set it up like a real college in the first place and shame on Don W for even lending his degree to it all.

What's really funny is I read Donnie's doctoral thesis once - in Anderson library. It was all to do with rennovating and upgrading the Emporia College to the Way College of Emporia.

Oh the irony.

What's really funny is I read Donnie's doctoral thesis once - in Anderson library. It was all to do with rennovating and upgrading the Emporia College to the Way College of Emporia.

Oh the irony.

With all that education, he had the ticket to a normal life. Having a Dr. in education guarantees you a decent job AT LEAST as a teacher. The grips of indoctrination must have been weak too, since he was so well educated. Didn't Wierwille call him spineless or some such in poap? Maybe he was right. The guy just didn't have the guts to face the truth and break away.

Oh the irony.

lol

That was a good book . . .