GreaseSpot Cafe

Doctoral Dissertation

waysider

btw, VPW also did not attend University of Chicago. Both it and Moody Bible Institute think he may have visited the campuses on a 1 time visit, possibly sitting in on one or more classes, visiting their libraries and/or bookstores. I emailed Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, and Yale about teaching profeesorships. All 4 rep;ied no. Gordon says he did a 1 day visit as preacher for chapel and did lecture, but was not a guest visiting lecturer for a semester as the Viscster claims. Ronald Enroth, John Juddes, and other authors that have examined Wierwille have opinioned he exaggerated his claims. Not sure about Mission House/Lakeland as it no longer exists. Would be interesting to check out his classes, college/university. seminary level. And yes Belle is correct about 2 Princetons which originally had Presbyterian origins but eventually became secular institutions.

"After graduating he was invited to study at Oxford University, in England, but would complete his doctorate sometime later under Dr. H. Ellis Lininger, a well-known homiletician, at the Pikes Peak Bible Seminary and Burton College in Manitou Springs, Colorado."

Based on the information I've seen online, this institution appears to be a bogus degree mill, as well.

What would you think if someone told you they are on the faculty at RICE?

Would you be impressed?

Would you think they meant Rice University in Houston?

How about if you were to find out they really meant this RICE?

(One faculty member lists a degree from Burton College and Seminary.)

Maybe this particular RICE is a perfectly wonderful place. I don't know. It would seem, though, that they've chosen an acronym that conjures an erroneous impression. Maybe it's just a coincidence. What do you think?

Not sure about Mission House/Lakeland as it no longer exists.

I'm not trying to defend the guy...but I always assumed this was the school he was referring to:

http://www.lakeland.edu/

This school still exists and it's been around since the 1890's I believe. It's also in Sheboygan, Wisconsin which is where VP said he attended. I had a friend that went there in the 70's.

The story goes that he was offered a basketball scholarship at Ohio State but his father wanted him to go to Lakeland. You'll remember from the class he said he played college ball and a "little bit of professional basketball...." He said he invented the hook shot.

I guess this has nothing at all to do with his doctorate. But I thought someone might be interested that there is at least one actual school.

Edited by erkjohn

I'm not trying to defend the guy...but I always assumed this was the school he was referring to:

http://www.lakeland.edu/

This school still exists and it's been around since the 1890's I believe. It's also in Sheboygan, Wisconsin which is where VP said he attended. I had a friend that went there in the 70's.

They should have a list of graduates, I would think.

I emailed Lakeland asking if I could see the classes Wierwille took when it was called Mission House(yes Plymouth Wisconsin is a suburb of Sheyboygan and is 19 miles south of Nashota House Seminary and Monastery/Episcopalian). Also did the same with Princeton Seminary. If and when I get an answer to my requests, I will let everyone here know.

Several of VP's exorbitant and false claims to amazing accomplishments and extraordinary education were written down in E Whiteside's "The Way- Living in Love." When she interviewed him, VP was in his full blown "blowhard," "snow" mode. Spinning yarns about himself and presenting them to her as though they were fact instead of fiction. This is the same interview/ book in which he spun yarns about the blizzard in Tulsa which he said stopped all trains and buses from leaving town. Quite a feat, since the temperature that week was over 50 degrees.

He knew he was lying, but, it seems, couldn't help himself. One of many times that happened.

However, he repeated the education claims on his book jackets. Most of the book jackets were too embarrassed about the source of his "doctorate" to mention the name "Pike's Peak." I would have been embarrassed to mention it, too.

I just can't get into the obsession about der Victoid's docterate (or not) dissertation. I mean... who cares?

Quite frankly, I was a dumb kid when I took the Power for Almost Living class. His title didn't lend any credibility to what was being taught, and it certainly didn't persuade my father that vp was legit. Perhaps the title of "doctor" helped him in come circles - but it didn't concern me in the least.

I just can't get into the obsession about der Victoid's docterate (or not) dissertation. I mean... who cares?

Plenty of people with valid graduate and terminal degrees who are still con-men/women...you got 535 of them in the legislature. The degree is immaterial compared to the actions and intentions of the person. The drunken, woman abusing, cyclops had no good intentions whatsoever....however he sure was an accomplished con man.

I dunno.. it just seems to me.. to be another reason to realize what a worthless dirtbag he really was..

interesting though, in whitesides little interview with herr vicster.. what words did he put in his *critics* mouths?

it wasn't..

they say I'm a drunken abusive con man..

they say I had a few "flings" with church secretaries and such..

no. It was "they say I got my *degree* at a DEGREE MILL.. and he goes on to set that little matter aside..

it does seem to be a cleaner, easier to go after target..

Plenty of people with valid graduate and terminal degrees who are still con-men/women...you got 535 of them in the legislature. The degree is immaterial compared to the actions and intentions of the person. The drunken, woman abusing, cyclops had no good intentions whatsoever....however he sure was an accomplished con man.

Precisely RumRunner. After all, how many folks when questioned about twi's teachings rejected them until they heard that vp called himself "The Teacher?"

Mark (pun intended) talking to WOW:

WOW- "So do you want to take this class?"

Mark - "I just don't think it's for me, but Thanks anyway."

WOW - "But don't you know... he's a doctor and he calls himself 'The Teacher?'"

Mark - "Well now.. that changes everything! Where's that green card?"

...I don't think so.

Edited by doojable

Wierwille's phoney doctor's degree was an example of his entire career. From stealing other people's work to presenting himself as an "educated man"...remember the book JCING? I think it's the only book that Wierwiile actually wrote himself...which explains why it reads like a 7th grade term paper...

...Wierwille was to Christianity what Jeffery Dahmer was to fine dining.

Several of VP's exorbitant and false claims to amazing accomplishments and extraordinary education were written down in E Whiteside's "The Way- Living in Love." When she interviewed him, VP was in his full blown "blowhard," "snow" mode. Spinning yarns about himself and presenting them to her as though they were fact instead of fiction. This is the same interview/ book in which he spun yarns about the blizzard in Tulsa which he said stopped all trains and buses from leaving town. Quite a feat, since the temperature that week was over 50 degrees.

He knew he was lying, but, it seems, couldn't help himself. One of many times that happened.

However, he repeated the education claims on his book jackets. Most of the book jackets were too embarrassed about the source of his "doctorate" to mention the name "Pike's Peak." I would have been embarrassed to mention it, too.

John, did you, J.L. Williams, Ronald Enroth, or others ever get permission to see a list of classes from Lakeland and/or Princeton as relates to religious studies VPW took? I tried asking, using the Freedom of Information law but both turned down my requests, even though Wierwille is deceased.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner