GreaseSpot Cafe

Summer Jam

OldSkool

Several years ago there was a young staffer, in his early 20s, that was a decent musician. And, as musicians tend to do, he got together with some other young staffers who had organized musical acts and was going to put on a jam session at the New Knoxville park that was to be open to the public. Well, Frau Q-Tip caught wind of this and damn near had a conniption fit.

Her position was comical. On one hand here was something that she could not control. She simply had no authority to tell the staffers no without leaving the way international vulnerable to a future lawsuit. So she came up with a bribe. She offered the "Earth Stage" out behind the PWA (the spot that is used for Advanced Class Picnics now) so the kids could jam without going into New Knoxville and interfacing with the townies, en masse - without her consent.

So, off we went to sell the organizers of this event on Rosalie's position. We reasoned with them for quite a while, during quite a few sessions, to convince them that they represented the way international whether they liked the idea or not. That was just something they had to accept being on Staff. Oh, they could do their concert, but here was a chance to open up more of the property to be enjoyed by the staff, and who knows, this event may repeat itself. And on the arm twisting went.

The staffers eventually cratered and moved everything to the little designated event that was held on a Saturday evening. And, being the unimaginative sort we were, we called it Summer Jam.

And so this event was born and now you know why. TO CONTROL THE YOUNG, CREATIVE STAFFERS!

And so this event was born and now you know why. TO CONTROL THE YOUNG, CREATIVE STAFFERS!

It occurs to me that TWI was an almost-perfect "totalitarian state." Even in China they don't pretend that they can control people's thoughts.

Soul Searcher - it was. I can't tell you how many good ideas were quashed or ruined by "leadership."

I can't see why anyone would still be giving their lives and allegiance to TWI, or any religious or political figure for that matter.

So, this summer jam, do towns people come to it? It would have been a great way to get to know their neighbors. Or is it "closed corporation" so to speak - only TWI people?

• Upvote 1

So, this summer jam, do towns people come to it?

NO!!

It would have been a great way to get to know their neighbors.

They have other annual events, usually bi-annual way productions concerts for this purpose. Outside that time there is no real interest in that.

Or is it "closed corporation" so to speak - only TWI people?

No, it's closed corporation. When I was around it was narrowed down to staffers and their immediate families.

I imagine the set list had to be approved.

I'd say you have a very accurate imagination.

And a 12 week event plan was developed, and the set list had to be to Frau Q-Tip well in advance, and there was no recording or video taping allowed, and the list went on.

Did the Way assume copyright on the songs, too?? My husband is an amazing musician but would never submit any songs because he couldn't keep the copyright. I always thought that was a load of poopoo. Especially since they would just take what he gave and turn it into some watered down Lawrence Welk version of what it really was.

Did the Way assume copyright on the songs, too?? My husband is an amazing musician but would never submit any songs because he couldn't keep the copyright. I always thought that was a load of poopoo. Especially since they would just take what he gave and turn it into some watered down Lawrence Welk version of what it really was.

No, this was really just a ploy to keep the kids out of town in a large group.

So let me guess: Christian music only? Was any gospel music allowed?

Secular was OK once approved.

Several years ago there was a young staffer, in his early 20s, that was a decent musician. And, as musicians tend to do, he got together with some other young staffers who had organized musical acts and was going to put on a jam session at the New Knoxville park that was to be open to the public. Well, Frau Q-Tip caught wind of this and damn near had a conniption fit.

Her position was comical. On one hand here was something that she could not control. She simply had no authority to tell the staffers no without leaving the way international vulnerable to a future lawsuit. So she came up with a bribe. She offered the "Earth Stage" out behind the PWA (the spot that is used for Advanced Class Picnics now) so the kids could jam without going into New Knoxville and interfacing with the townies, en masse - without her consent.

So, off we went to sell the organizers of this event on Rosalie's position. We reasoned with them for quite a while, during quite a few sessions, to convince them that they represented the way international whether they liked the idea or not. That was just something they had to accept being on Staff. Oh, they could do their concert, but here was a chance to open up more of the property to be enjoyed by the staff, and who knows, this event may repeat itself. And on the arm twisting went.

The staffers eventually cratered and moved everything to the little designated event that was held on a Saturday evening. And, being the unimaginative sort we were, we called it Summer Jam.

Oh gag me with a frickin' drumstick. If I had access to any of them now I'd tell them to tell Frau Q-Tip where to shove her Q-Tip and go on a pilgramage to LifeLight - http://lifelight.org/

That's the real Christian Woodstock of today and what ROA never managed to be.

Hahahah. I was actually one of those show performed in this. Didn't know the origins of it, but I could take three guesses as to who wanted to organize the NK park jam session. Amazing the amount of control paranoia will drive one to.

Regarding copyrights, I do seem to recall being told that one of the original Joyful Noise guys left TWI and demanded they hand over the copyrights to everything he had written/performed, threatening a dandy lawsuit if they did not, and they did.

But I never personally knew the individual, so that's just hearsay.

WS

I think it was wise that they had it on grounds because what if someone had gotten up to dance?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by ChasUFarley

I find it terribly ironic that Way Productions made it onto The Soup with that terrible number, and at the same time they are afraid of the impression the younger crowd might make on New Knoxville with their music... strange, isn't it?

I find it terribly ironic that Way Productions made it onto The Soup with that terrible number, and at the same time they are afraid of the impression the younger crowd might make on New Knoxville with their music... strange, isn't it?

I guess from a reality stand point, yes..

But from a cult stand point no.. They are all about control. If they don't have it, they try and gain it by whatever means possible..

Makes me really wonder what this summer's TWI music workshops will be like..

My guess is, BLAND! And wrought with more control structures..

Makes me really wonder what this summer's TWI music workshops will be like..

My guess is, BLAND! And wrought with more control structures..

And loaded with non-sensical BS like the words are the most important part of a song. It would be like learning braille from someone deaf.

Oh gag me with a frickin' drumstick. If I had access to any of them now I'd tell them to tell Frau Q-Tip where to shove her Q-Tip and go on a pilgramage to LifeLight - http://lifelight.org/

good God, it is more desolate than New Knoxville, LOL! Someone slipped Kool-Aid into my OJ.

Or Soulfest.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulfest that is pretty amazing too. It would be so great if these kids got out and worshiped with others their own age and participated in some of these awesome events. Maybe some do...I don't know, but it does seem they are still isolated and controlled.

The Christian 20 somethings we know always have some event or fundraiser going on for some project or cause. Some missions trip or World Vision campaign. Huge(really fun) car washes, benefit concerts, can drives....they do so much good and it would be nice to see those in TWI integrated into some of these ministries and churches.

Edited by geisha779

....they do so much good and it would be nice to see those in TWI integrated into some of these ministries and churches.

It really would be good to see that. A lot of the younger people in the way international have been isolated to other way ministry people, and negative comparisons to other churches, that many of them have no idea what else is out there. Of course the standard ideal is Doc Vic figured it all out so we don't have to. So there they are, well intentioned and good individuals raised to stand in the shadow of a man they never new, left idly by to take his word for it. The encouraging aspect in all of this is that many of them get out of there!

Of course a lot of their parents like to tell them they are the future of the way ministry. That leaves a lot of them feeling unduly pressured. Then the people who were not "raised in the word" are sort of standing there feeling like chopped liver. That was my experiences anyways.