GreaseSpot Cafe

Standing in the gap

waysider

Ezekiel 22:30

It was about Moses who was a foreshadow of Christ in that instance. . . . Moses was the mediator between God and Israel...for a Christian who knows Christ stands in the gap...and is all sufficient...... it not a cute little phrase to toss around. When it was used in TWI VP....it was blasphemous.

Edited by geisha779

Yeah, I know it's in the Bible. But, how can it be explained in plain English without a Biblical reference?

In Ezekiel it is speaking about a breach in a wall and someone standing there, so that the enemy can't gain entrance. It exposes false prophets because when there is real trouble they are not to be found....but, it is difficult to define something referring to Jesus or Moses without using the bible. These are the things that were pointing to the Christ. Sorry, biblical reference, biblical terms.

Edited by geisha779

What the he!! does that even mean?

(in plain English)

Geeze! I hope the definition doesn't include the operation of "the law of believing".

Well, I thought I'd better ask because "the integrity of the herd is always at steak".

hey!!! you need to stay your mind on one thing!!! now what's it gonna be - the law of believing or the integrity of the herd? .....stay mind...stay! now SIT....

and if you're standing in the gap then you must be a gazillion years old and your street address on the space/time continuum map is somewhere between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 - right across the street from Ezeliel's Wheel & Hubcap Shop [with the sign on the door "we've only got one wheel but it's been a round for awhile"]

The gap is in the Northern Sky . . . this is clearly a reference to space travel

there's some who believe this is a reference to witnessing at the mall . . . but scripture points to astro-physics IMHO

I Am the Sheep Gate – Fr Joseph Pellegrino

During Jesus' time, shepherds protected their flocks with their own bodies. A sheep pen was merely a wall of loosely connected rocks with a single entrance. At night the shepherd slept across the entrance so that his body became a protection for the sheep from their own straying or from marauders. The body of the shepherd kept the sheep from wandering out and getting hurt as well as kept animals and bandits from entering the pen and attacking the sheep.

Jesus makes an allusion to this in the Gospel for today when he says that he is the sheep gate. He is the sheep gate and we are the sheep. He is the guardrail keeping others from hurting us and keeping us from hurting ourselves. He is our protector. He is alive for us today, keeping us from hurting ourselves and from being hurt by others.

So...standing in the gap is for defence and protection of the weak, and of what is valuable (sheep being "money on legs").

In our normal life “standing in the gap” might mean helping the weak. Or speaking up for someone.

Perhaps helping someone access health services, benefits or other things they need.

Perhaps defending someone in court.

Perhaps standing up to the local bully – whether you’re just being a good neighbour, or whether you’re a paid person like a police officer.

Perhaps helping someone negotiate affordable debt repayments, or to keep their home.

Perhaps helping someone get appropriate schooling for a child.

Perhaps offering comfort to someone recently bereaved, and helping them get back on their feet.

“Standing in the gap” Biblically (though you were not after Biblical refs, Waysider), as well as defending, also has the connotation of rebuilding and restoring, as well as standing for what is right.

The stander in the gap has an intercessory role (or maybe intercession’s just what I’m pondering now – started something about intercession in Doctrinal recently) in turning away punishment – probably justifiable – and also a rebuilding and restoring role.

Right now I don’t have a job so work as a volunteer doing among other things advice work on debt and benefits matters. I help people work out budgets, work out their finances; teach them the difference between what they think they want, and what they can afford and realistically need; help them get any benefits they may be entitled to; help them make offers to their creditors; fight off claims from creditors, close the door on bailiffs.

There is absolutely no doubt that I feel I’m standing in the gap between them and even worse poverty, homelessness, and a generally miserable way of life.

I never thought about it in spiritual terms…but there it is.

I can’t teach them explicitly about the love of God, but I surely can show it to them.

"Standing in the gap" What the he!! does that even mean?

(in plain English)

Don't feel so bad, I think VP and LCM didn't have a clue either, cause we know the "gap" they were plugging..

And the current regime at TWI seem to think it has more to do with kissing this "gap"..

But all the while, the rest of the "regulars" who think someone is standing in the gap is really .........

Well, anyways.. This is getting too deep for me. And Twinky gave a great description so no need for me to add to it.

Edited by TrustAndObey

I thought The Gap was a clothing store and standing meant the doorway. or was that the Cumberland Gap of Daniel Boone fame? :biglaugh::eusa_clap: