GreaseSpot Cafe

Yo Adrienne!

waysider

Have you ever remembered something from your Way days and found it to be so amusing, in retrospect, it just cracks you up?

Here's an example:

When the movie Rocky was released, in 1976, I was in the FellowLaborer program. We had to, as an assignment, arrange a *date* with another FellowLaborer, go into town, on a Saturday night, and watch Rocky at the local movie house. The buzz in TWI was that there were some sort of *great kernels of spiritual truth* in the movie, both in the story line and the obstacles that were overcome in the production process. Then, we had discussions in our nightly twigs that revolved around our observations. I've heard people say there were similar things done in the field but, I can't really address that, as I wasn't there. It all seems so surrealistic, looking back, that we thought we were discovering some really profound revelation in something as commonplace as a Saturday night flick.

Some of you may be too young to remember when the movie was initially released or weren't involved with The Way at the time. So, do you have any similar instances that come to mind?

Edited by waysider

We were SO SPIRITUAL, weren't we???

Critiquing movies was a way of checking one's spiritual acumen.....wasn't it? :anim-smile:

Heck, even at advanced classes...they showed us portions of The Exorcist.

The spiritual heavies dissected how the devil spirits worked 'right there before our eyes.'

:evildenk: ---- There's a devil spirit

:evildenk: ---- And, there's a sordid spirit

I got one for ya. When in-residence we were allowed an approved movie once in a while as the year was winding down. We told our corps coordinator we wanted to watch Training Day. He thought from the title that it was something like Rudy or something to do with training and since we were in-residence it was apropos. When he found out it was a movie about a corrupt cop and was loaded with graphic violence and worse he nearly flipped his bic. But what could he really say, he approved it! Of course from there he highly scrutinized any selection.

Which is more absurd. Flipping over Training Day? Or approving movies for a group of adults, many of them middle aged?

Yeah, it was just soooooo clear to us but the rest of the world was oblivious.

Now, weren't we special?

Yeppp!!! And the intent of the movies we were allowed was we would parse them for spiritual significance. :rolleyes:

I remember Rocky was considered worthy, because vp saw it on a plane,and said he liked it. The great 'spiritual truth' according to him, was that Rocky went as far as his believing took him. Rocky said he just wanted to go the distance, which he did, but lost the fight. Hey, if Rocky had only had pfal, he would have known to believe bigger, and not made that mistake.

Hey, if Rocky had only had pfal, he would have known to believe bigger, and not made that mistake.

Man, that's just corny. What if the movie script had Rocky winning by knockout in the first 90 seconds of the first round but he only wanted to go the distance....anywho.... :biglaugh:

We got to see The Last of the Mohicans, which was all about teamwork and never giving up.

To go with it, we also got an Indian corn cob, without any instruction of what to do with it.

LCM had some little statue (or was it a painting?) which showed a posse of Indians (native Americans) all following one another but looking in different directions - "looking out for each other."

My recollection is that he wasn't quite as respectful of real human American Indians.

I remember Rocky was considered worthy, because vp saw it on a plane,and said he liked it. The great 'spiritual truth' according to him, was that Rocky went as far as his believing took him. Rocky said he just wanted to go the distance, which he did, but lost the fight. Hey, if Rocky had only had pfal, he would have known to believe bigger, and not made that mistake.

The personification of "believing" is a crutch of losers. My "believing", your "believing", everyone's "believing". You'd think everyone has their own personal little man beside them who is "their believing". It gives people a built-in excuse. Why didn't you pass your test, son? "My believing" wasn't there. What a load of cr@p0la. It leads right in to indoctrination, as getting "your believing" there for whatever endeavor wouldn't involve actually studying for the test, but doing things to "build your believing", like SIT, attend PFAL, twig, make a bigger commitment to God. Just study for the test, and pray to God. He'll be there with you. The whole "my believing" spiel puts things more in the realm of THE PROMISE, and the mind exercise daydreaming stuff that never accomplished anything in the real world.

Without the view through loser colored glasses, you can actually watch "Rocky" and enjoy the gritty story about a boxer coming up through poverty and lower class surroundings and through hard work and determination making something of himself. He put in the work. His "believing" didn't. And the story line is much more plausible that the guys sights WERE set on giving the champ a great fight coming out of nowhere. The truth is fights at top levels would require some more experience. To win those, that's why there was a "Rocky 2, 3 and 4". Went as far as his believing took him. What a crock!

The "Rocky" series were good movies, and Sly looked a whole lot better before all the designer steroids. And VP was a loser plagiarist.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember some guy coming back to Charleston after taking the Advanced Class and sharing at a beach "do" bonfire thing about how "Star Wars" was sooo spiritually devilish. He said that they had been taught that it promoted (gasp!!!) the Holy Trinity; Darth Vader the Father, Luke the Son, Yoda the Holy Spirit. As Mr. Garden snorted sarcastically on the way home, "Gee, and I thought it was just a great science fiction action flick!"

Which of course, is all it really was.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one for ya. When in-residence we were allowed an approved movie once in a while as the year was winding down. We told our corps coordinator we wanted to watch Training Day. He thought from the title that it was something like Rudy or something to do with training and since we were in-residence it was apropos. When he found out it was a movie about a corrupt cop and was loaded with graphic violence and worse he nearly flipped his bic. But what could he really say, he approved it! Of course from there he highly scrutinized any selection.

Which is more absurd. Flipping over Training Day? Or approving movies for a group of adults, many of them middle aged?

That's hilarious! He let you watch Training Day! I hated those Corpse-approved movies. Ed H*rney would always grill us the next day on what we picked up "spiritually" from the movie. I always felt like a dumb-ash because I would just go watch them and be entertained...but no, we were supposed to see behind the scenes...you know...the stuff that was never really there anyway. At least now I know who the dumb-ashes are.

Okay, you guys.......STOP IT RIGHT NOW.

You're making me think that I wasted YEARS OF MY LIFE IN TWI.

Please stop.....now. :biglaugh:

Where is the Like button?

In rez ... tired after some long event prep and putting it on and clean-up and all the usual busy-work.

Never any spare time whether there was an event or not.

So it's the Super Bowl. As a reward, we are permitted to watch the SB if we wish. A TV is set up in Founders Hall.

Some in rez Corps went. Many others took time to rest, sleep, catch up with laundry, spent time with spouses, whatever. Some of us had no interest (I still don't know what the SB is, I'm not American).

Next day ... those who didn't watch the SB got a serious bollocking.

Reason: LCM said we could have learned something about him, if we'd watched it, being as he'd been such a mighty player in his younger days. (Not egotistical, huh!)

Next day ... those who didn't watch the SB got a serious bollocking.

Reason: LCM said we could have learned something about him, if we'd watched it, being as he'd been such a mighty player in his younger days. (Not egotistical, huh!)

Really, I think that incident alone teaches all one needs to know about Mr. Forehead.

Edited by OldSkool

Exxaccctly!!! You could have learned a lot about him if you would have watched the players who were as Americans put it "riding the pine", "sitting on the bench", and "second string".

Hey? What's that guy doing? Oh, sitting down on the bench. Yeah, just like LCM's college football career :)

Edited by chockfull