GreaseSpot Cafe

How to Have a Potluck

outandabout

How to Have a TWI Potluck:

Procure a room for free somewhere, assign a dish to each person and make sure that's what they bring, no exceptions or substitutions. Before the potluck, bring a crew of people to vacuum, dust, and make sure every chair is perfectly alligned. All participants must arrive at least 10 minutes early. If any are late, they are sent away and are not to partake. Make sure the branch leader or whoever has the highest TWI title eats FIRST. Anyone who does not adhere to this will be severely chastised. Make sure that you practice Christian Etiquette while eating, and do not act too jovial or you will surely say the wrong thing and be severly chastised. After the meal is over, make sure the room is CLEANER than you found it. Whoever the leader is assigns who vacuums, who cleans the table, who puts food away, etc. Go home a have a drink so you can get over the stress you just experienced from making sure you had a perfect pot luck.

How to Have a Non-TWI Potluck (i.e. at work):

Send out an email to all in the office and announce the date and time of the potluck. Put up a sign-in sheet for people to bring whatever. The day of the pot luck buy some plates and cups, etc in case no one else did. Around the time of the pot luck participants wander in with their food. It doesn't start until half hour or so after the appointed time. Some one takes the lids off the dishes, arranges the food, etc. Several people will not have put their dish on the list but they bring it, and somehow there is a variety of dishes to eat. Upon commencement of the pot luck, it is observed that there are not enough utensils, but then they appear somehow. Other people not on the email list wander in and they are greeted warmly and welcomed to partake. Your boss eats whenever, along with everyone else. After the pot luck, whoever wants to helps clear off the food and puts it away. Then the table gets cleaned off by whoever decides to. Somehow it all works out and a good time is had by all.

Edited by outandabout

and if you massacre the heart of a potluck like that, what do you think more important gatherings are going to be like? sheesh that's like a description of every single twi meeting ever. how vomit inducing.

I mean "How to have a teaching service" is similar:

STS vs. Jesus walking along a shoreline then cruising out in a boat when crowds gathered.

somebody is really missing the point.

I rarely use the term, but this was 'spot on'. Of course, anyone 'important' in the way would do nothing for the event but give orders, show up, and probably find fault. The hardest workers would 'learn' that by setting the room up incorrectly, they were not yet capable of more 'spiritual' responsibility.

I rarely use the term, but this was 'spot on'. Of course, anyone 'important' in the way would do nothing for the event but give orders, show up, and probably find fault. The hardest workers would 'learn' that by setting the room up incorrectly, they were not yet capable of more 'spiritual' responsibility.

Yeah....it makes me shudder thinking how John Rupp and wife used to do this walk-thru stuff in Texas.

One can always 'thank' wierwille for this anal criticizing......as he taught the corps how he'd always

do a 4pm walk-thru of the BRC to check it out.

Edited by skyrider

Pot lucks at church are nicer now, too. more kindness and encouraging others . So very nice.

Same type of thing with birthday cards, welcome cards, get well cards . . . . At work now sent around with kindness, the admin assist hunts them up and keeps track of them, but not filled with shallow exhortations to "do the Word" or "hold the Word high" that no one really understands what the words mean. At work now only happiness and fellowship of friends wished and encouraged.

So glad to have gotten my life back. So glad God was kind enough to give us our lives back.

Pot lucks at church are nicer now, too. more kindness and encouraging others . So very nice.

Same type of thing with birthday cards, welcome cards, get well cards . . . . At work now sent around with kindness, the admin assist hunts them up and keeps track of them, but not filled with shallow exhortations to "do the Word" or "hold the Word high" that no one really understands what the words mean. At work now only happiness and fellowship of friends wished and encouraged.

So glad to have gotten my life back. So glad God was kind enough to give us our lives back.

Two useless tools.

He used to be ok before twi stole his soul and his moustache.

It's a little frightening, if viewed as an outsider, to see the over-planning and the

bossiness connected with even the smallest twi get-together nowadays.

Then again, that was always at least partly the case. One poster talked about having

a bunch of people over-just having people over, not any event. Local twi'ers who were

friends were invited, non-twi'er friends were invited. (They weren't ordered to stop

having them, so this was before the 90s.) A twi bossy "leader" arrived, decided by

divine fiat this get-together was now a "MEETING", and BEGAN PASSING OUT SONGBOOKS.

He pretty much cleared out the room of non-twi'ers and choked the fun out for the

twi'ers within the next minute.

• 5 weeks later...

"Potlucks" are of the debil :evildenk:/>

If you are a real believer, a 'believing believer' which is the only kind of believer

in the way, you only attend "Pot Blesses." :who_me:/>

OK - join in with me everyone.....

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas...Lucky, Lucky, Lucky....I hope, I hope, I hope....

create a document, create a memo, Hawaiian Island Creations,....Oooh, am I being devilish :evilshades:/>

• Upvote 1

The most fun I ever had at a potluck was where nobody disclosed what they intended to bring. So what if there would be 9 dishes of scalloped potatos. Just for once, we didn't have a balanced meal. It was fun to see what turned up!

i should have said you would blessed to have some pot there, forgive me

--

wordwolf you might be talking about when dot matrix and i lived together and we had a ton of people over for a party bbq thing. when our leader came home unexpectedly he started handing out those sing along the ways and gathering everyone around. we were humiliated. i don't know if we went back to the lounge ever again. i can't remember. i've blocked it all lol

That reminds me - When I was in MS some people in my branch had an impromtu barbecue, invited a few people, then called the branch leader and wifey to join them. They were REEMED for not following "spiritual protocol" for not inviting the BLs FIRST. Typical BS.