GreaseSpot Cafe

Maybe home bible fellowships should be self-sufficient....

skyrider

Taking a page from Rosalie's rulebook......maybe, home fellowship coordinators should strive to make their bible fellowships SELF-SUFFICIENT. If Rosalie is setting the pace for NOT needing you, maybe that's your cue to make strides towards NOT NEEDING THEM?

What do you need them for anyways? Do you really need another teaching on "the law of believing?" Do you really need a rigid, boring sunday teaching tape to add to your collection of 3,421 and counting? Do you really need to hear about all the wonderful attributes of the corps training program....when all around you, there is evidence to its pathetic numbers and cloning control freaks? Besides, who really wants to charter the bus trip to hq and come back more depressed?

What you need:

1) A bible.....and the zeal to teach it.

2) A living room and arms to hug and greet others.

3) A willingness to be flexible and spontaneous.

4) Fresh perspectives and simple truths.

5) Outings, barbeques, fun times, family times, and joy overflowing.

6) Keep it simple and stop dragging twi's dinosaurs around.

7) Never serve coffee in used, lipstick-stained styrofoam cups.

And, if YOU are self-sufficient.....then that tithe money will stay in your account. Imagine the possibilities!

Then, you won't need to depend on that measily tape from hq arriving every week to "sustain" you.

WOW.....there could be a little fund to help a family in need or in job transition.

Now is the time for choosing. :)

• Upvote 1

The most dynamic times and places in twi, when lives where changed for the better,

were when people were operating locally and independently,

addressing the needs of the people right there and blessing the people right there.

As of right now, the local groups seem to receive no actual benefits to belonging,

and seem to be repeatedly penalized- both financially and socially.

The most dynamic times and places in twi, when lives where changed for the better,

were when people were operating locally and independently,

addressing the needs of the people right there and blessing the people right there.

As of right now, the local groups seem to receive no actual benefits to belonging,

and seem to be repeatedly penalized- both financially and socially.

Yeah.....local and independent.

My grandparents, in the late 1920s, had worship/bible fellowships in their home. My grandfather and

other men would alternate responsibilities to lead in prayer or worship each week. No spiritual honcho.

Every 6-8 weeks, an itinerant preacher would stop by in their rural, mid-west county....but song, worship

and teachings were a staple part of their home. Local neighbors and friends attended faithfully.

During wheat harvest, everyone pitched in to help one another. Same thing with barn-raisings. Men, women

and children came together.....with labor, meals, support, chores, etc.

Twi didn't reinstitute the "church in the home" concept......... :biglaugh:/>

Edited by skyrider

I know of a fellowship - not sure if they stood with TWI still, or were operating independently, or under CFFM - anyway, two of the members of the fellowship were involved in an accident. One was okay but the other lost some teeth. The fellowship kindly paid for dental treatment as the sufferer had no means to pay for replacement teeth/bridge/whatever without help. They saw the need, and were ready and keen to help.

I can see that a local fellowship that is part of a larger organisation ought to help fund the wider group - to a reasonable level. But the local fellowship is in the best place to see what local needs there are, whether for its own members or in the wider community.

And the reciprocal of the wider group receiving any money is that it meets its own reasonable needs (pays a fair salary) and it itself serves and helps (genuinely!!!) local groups or communities. TWI is not alone among church groups to forget that. It's not about acquiring palaces, mansions, big buildings, accumulating paintings, gold furnishings, fancy robes or any of the other organisational stuff that churches tend to get into. It certainly isn't about accumulating a large bank balance "just in case it's needed." Like the manna - it's a day by day thing. Don't accumulate more than is needed for the day. Trust the one with sheep on 1,000 hills. He's the one with the accumulation of wealth.

I belong to a local fellowship that is just as described. We help the members of our spiritual assembly and we help others in other places...and we give money monthly to Wounded Warrior Project, Heifer International, and voice of the Martyrs. We are not tax exempt, and do not even have a name (by our choice). Each six months we get together for a general church meeting (we meet in the home) and decide as a group what we want to do for the next six months. It is a wonderfully intimate group of people with new folks coming in also. We are not affiliated with any Way or former Way group and learn from whomever we can. It's terrifc!

maybe people should consider having home fellowships in homes that are not required to be meticulously neat, and groomed..

so you are going to wait until the kids, the spouse.. the you name it.. is in Perfect Detail. That is not a real home, to begin with..

If you want to come to my home, we will do readings out of Bullinger's Witness of the Stars. That's about all I've got left from my old twi library.. maybe we can do some math or something..

• 2 weeks later...

There are many independent organic, simple churches where there are no ordained clergy in several cities/counties that network together and do not interfere or bully others. Theoretically only Jesus Christ is the only ordained person(any Christian believer can perform weddings, administer Communion, no salaries, etc.). Doglover is right about local churches determining demonstrating God's love(agape), whether Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, food pantries/banks, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, Goodwill thrift stores, etc. On another thread I suggested Frank Viola's Finding Organic Church, and Re-imagining Church as 2 books talking about simple church(David Cook Publishing in Colorado). Check them out.

• Upvote 1

home bible fellowship sounds nice for people

your posts show that

i have a dear friend who has one in another state. i don't know if they belong to an offshooit, but i know they are wonderful folks with hearts of gold. if they are giving money to someone/thing i hope they are not, oh well. i do believe the christians who come to their home are very comforted and loved with the love of christ. he and his father god will have to figure out the rest

people helping the people they know right there is such a good idea

RE: the Perfect Homes - my brother and his wife were put on "Spiritual Probation" because their house wasn't clean enough. He told me they had no time to clean it because they were always at meetings.

(They left during the Spirtual Probation because they realized they were happier not going to meetings).