GreaseSpot Cafe

Holidays and Family

skyrider

Families together during the holidays is bedrock to society. Commercials, holiday songs, movies,

and nearly every fabric of life connects the two.....holidays and family.

Yet....imo, wierwille and co. deceptively ushered in its own version of "family," a pseudo-family.

....if you ever went on the WOW field, you spent the holidays with your "WOW family."

....if you were on staff at hq, twi revised holiday songs to concoct a twi-family of sorts.

....after all, twi promotes itself as "the true household" and all that jazz

....heck, pictures of the trustees were sent out at holiday time

Add the "uncle harry" lingo

"uncle howard" --- around 1991

Oooh, isn't that just sweet? They really DO care. :anim-smile:/>

Today, all of that past sleight-of-hand seems so surreal.

Every cult does it.....Moonies, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians, etc.

Didn't Charles Manson lull others in with this claptrap too?

Thankyouverymuch......BUT, this holiday I will be spending time with MY family.

Edited by skyrider

And that choice, thankfully, was revocable.

If you're referring to those who chose twi and left later, sure. I can see that.

TWI is a given, it's people. Not revocable. Just an is. You have to deal with it, accept it, no?

If you're referring to those who chose twi and left later, sure. I can see that.

TWI is a given, it's people. Not revocable. Just an is. You have to deal with it, accept it, no?

If you're saying that, for some, family members [mom, dad, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, etc]

are choosing twi.....or even if they're ex-twiers and still hold to twi-doctrines....

then it IS something that just is and one needs to constantly deal with it.

If you're saying that, for some, family members [mom, dad, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, etc]

are choosing twi.....or even if they're ex-twiers and still hold to twi-doctrines....

. . .

Well, no, not exactly. They are TWI. Are they not?

Well, no, not exactly. They are TWI. Are they not?

So, if you want to get into a discussion of semantics,

I would take the stance that....

No, they're not.

TWI is.....

...the founding president and his board of trustees

...other presidents, board of directors, region men

...policies and directives from corporate hdqtrs

...marching orders given to corps leadership

...namely, TWI is The Way International

Past and present, thousands of followers do not *embody* twi.

Imo, and in my references to "twi"......there is plenty of daylight

between the followers as opposed to the corporate.

But, hey.....that's why semantics is a desired topic

for those who like to lead discussions into the weeds.

I hate Christmas to this day, mostly because of TWI. First, because they took all the joy out of it by forbidding the use of the word "Christmas;" by changing all the words to the carols, by telling us we all needed to tell everyone how terrible and pagan it was...

And then because I Marked and Avoided my family - and that made the whole thing worse - I had no one to spend the holiday with except TWI.

And I still hate it to this day. Put up the tree with the husband and kiddo after Thanksgiving and spent the evening crying. F you, TWI. You are the ultimate Grinch!

What they should do (and have done) is NOT celebrate Christmas AT ALL. Not come up with their own version of it. They should get honest like the Jehovah Witnesses if they don't agree with any of it. Instead, they have to "improve" on the holiday because they are such Know-It-Alls and know so much better than everyone else the best way to clebrate Happy Household Holiday. TWI always had be BETTER and DIFFERENT because they are God's Chosen Household and superior to all the rest of humanity.

Edited by outandabout

What they should do (and have done) is NOT celebrate Christmas AT ALL. Not come up with their own version of it. They should get honest like the Jehovah Witnesses if they don't agree with any of it. Instead, they have to "improve" on the holiday because they are such Know-It-Alls and know so much better than everyone else the best way to clebrate Happy Household Holiday. TWI always had be BETTER and DIFFERENT because they are God's Chosen Household and superior to all the rest of humanity.

I agree with you.

It never made sense to me why we were "celebrating" Christmas without calling it Christmas

What they should do (and have done) is NOT celebrate Christmas AT ALL. Not come up with their own version of it. They should get honest like the Jehovah Witnesses if they don't agree with any of it. Instead, they have to "improve" on the holiday because they are such Know-It-Alls and know so much better than everyone else the best way to celebrate Happy Household Holiday. TWI always had be BETTER and DIFFERENT because they are God's Chosen Household and superior to all the rest of humanity.

Just another example of their outrageous hypocrisy. But no, we have to have a decorated tree (a pagan custom, tree being symbol of fertility - oops, giveaway!) and give little gifts (I still have a couple of (used) slim diaries that were gifts from Dorothea or Mrs Owens or some such). And a day or two off. But on what TWI states is the true birthdate of JC - is there a celebration of any kind? No!

I knew a Corps girl who was always happy to work/be on call on Christmas Day. She didn't see it as a holiday/celebratory day but knew others did - so she volunteered - and got double or triple pay for it. Heh, heh. Good for her. Rewarded for her beliefs, if you will.

Wasn't it Doc Vic, himself, who said something about putting pickles in a jar labeled peaches?

:blink:/>

"If you take a jar of pickles, and write "apple butter" on the outside, that still doesn't

change the pickles on the inside."

I imagine he said it differently on a number of occasions.

IIRC, that version was straight from the class.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Christmas everyone and all the best for the New Year.

I enjoyed this time growing up, the candle in the window, the walk in daylight and then hours being snug at home. I spent it with the family as often as I could during the TWI years when I lived far away from them and was always happy to get there and lose the stress of having to behave a certain way when eating with the TWIers.

This year we had hours on the couch to watch Leonard Cohen's 2013 concert and "Lover, lover, lover" is playing in my head now - what a song and performance:

'I asked my father,

I said, "Father change my name."

The one I'm using now it's covered up

with fear and filth and cowardice and shame".

Ah but lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me,

yes and lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover, lover come back to me.

He said, "I locked you in this body,

I meant it as a kind of trial.

You can use it for a weapon,

or to make some woman smile."

..... '

and so on .... This is from an earlier year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14lKBKNS6LU

(Just wanted to share a little from a great gift)