Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudo,

I too, like George thought this song was the Russian Anthem, but I knew it could not be. I have watched The Search for Red October enough times to recognize that piece of music anywhere. By the way, that anthem is one of the most beautiful pieces written. It's melodically so lush.

Now, this song is called Varshavjanka, and is a Polish song, written at the end of XIXth century; very popular in Russia during the revolutions of 1905 and 1917.

The lyrics are:

Varshavjanka

The ennemy stacatoes are flying over our heads

Black forces are oppressing us

In the battle that we were destined for

Unknown fates are awaiting us.

But we will proudly and boldly raise

The banner of the workers' struggle

The banner of the great battle of all the peoples

For a better world and the holy freedom.

Refrain:

To a battle bloody

Holy and just

March, march forward

Workers people.

Must the worker still starve nowadays ?

Brothers shall we keep silent ?

Can the sight of the gallows

Frighten the young eyes of our brothers at arms ?

In the great battle don't let us die without leaving a trace behind

Those who have fallen in honor for an idea

Their names in our victory songs

Shall become sacred to millions of people.

Refrain

We loathe the tyrants' crowns

We deem that chains turn (make) the people into a martyr

The thrones are covered with the blood of the peoples

In their own blown we shall redden our ennemies.

(in case you are all thinking ... WOW :o Ala is an historical brainiac... well.. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you can thank Google and my media player for this one! :lol: )

Sudo,

You asked about Mary Lou Williams...if you google her name.. you are SURE to find tons on her. She's done pretty much everything and played with everyone imaginable.

In her later years... she taught at Duke University and taught the history of jazz.

Her music, notes...etc. have all been archived in the Smithonian...and it is said to be a lifetime work of research. What she documented will probably change the history of jazz as it is known.

The album that my husband was introduced to was one that was an interview with instrumentals... from 1978 with Marion MacPartland who still has a show to this day.

It is quite the album.

Enjoy :D

Edited by A la prochaine

Ala,

I'm impressed!!! You not only knew that Russian (or is it Polish??) song but got such a good history behind it. 19th century. Man.. they don't wite 'em any better than that (click HERE!). Thanks for the lyrics, too, girl. You can tell its a patriotic song just by listening to it but the lyrics you posted show the real intensity. Russian music is so soulful. So full of sadness and pathos. But it also has a lyric of unity of purpose... don't mess with us.. we will be victorious!!

You mentioned the music in The Hunt For Red October. Just so happens.. I have that very tune in my archives. Will wonders ever cease?? Click HERE! to listen to it. Yeah.. more good soul stirring Russian music. Now click HERE! One of them is the U.S.S.R. (now Russian) national anthem.. and one was written just for the movie ;)

sudo

P.S. Thanks for the Mary Lou Williams info.

Channel 53 Bravo had the Eagles on tonight and goodness they were awesome when they made this reunion concert (year ? Bravo missed that point). Their horn group was dressed in black with hats and dark glasses, a real Blues Brothers feel. Excellent interview/concert I understand but I just saw the last 15 minutes.

But we will proudly and boldly raise

The banner of the workers' struggle

The banner of the great battle of all the peoples

For a better world and the holy freedom.

Fascinating how this group of people wanted holy freedom. I love seeing how it was important before I was around. And this is not to be mistaken for love of history. I sucked in history. Which I did in general unless it related to not being in school. What a waste. :(

Sudo,

That last tune is wonderful. I enjoyed it very much. Ted has a Russian friend who writes music and you should hear some of his stuff. It is absolutely haunting and will take your breath away nearly.

"We loathe the tyrants' crowns

We deem that chains turn (make) the people into a martyr

The thrones are covered with the blood of the peoples

In their own blown we shall redden our ennemies."

I think the last line should read... In their own BLOOD (not blown) we shall redden our ennemies.

Thanks guys and gals.. glad you appreciated my little posts.

:D

Ted has a Russian friend who writes music and you should hear some of his stuff. It is absolutely haunting and will take your breath away nearly.

My grandfather was from Russia and there was always eastern European music in their home.

Oh, by the way Kathy, next time I make dinner and you and Ted are around, it's gonna be bean soup (he told me how much you love the stuff) and chicken.

No, please I promise I'll eat anything but please not bean soup. OMG I thought we were becoming friends. ;)

Can I hide the bean soup in Ted's bowl and take his chicken? :unsure:

OMG have you ever made a typo and nearly killed yourself laughing....hahahahahaha

Edited by ChattyKathy

Kathy,

No bean soup in this post :blink:. You know that one up above that didn't sound familiar (click HERE!)?? Well, I've got a companian piece from the same movie. Click HERE! Now I know you mustave seen this movie... maybe even bought it for the kids like we did.

I was an un-named soldier in the play with no lines but I remember marching out when this song was being played. I felt important carring a toy sword. I was probably a novice techie nerd back then because I remember being enthralled with the reel to reel tape recorder that played the music over the PA system.

sudo

"It 's memorable to me because a few weeks later I was hit by a car and spent a week in the hospital. My parents brought me the comic book adaptation of the movie,..."

Andy,

It wasn't you... in was ME... and my dislexic ways :blink:

When I read this part... I was thinking.. ok.. he read the comic (I read cartoon as in 'animated') adaptation... so I was thinking... OK... the Disney you saw at the theaters must have been a real people thing...like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or Mary Poppins ... not animated.

I know, it makes absolutely no sense... :unsure:

Welcome to my nightmare

:( :wacko: :(

Sudo,

I'm sad that your clues couldn't make up for my just flat out not recognizing it. But I suspect Moon Girl might have it. The visuals would work with that movie. :)

Ala,

I've paid money to feel like what you just described. :blink: Had to come back again and add this: I'm talking to Ala right now on instant message. She's away for the moment, but she just said what do you mean you paid money to feel like.... :P ....shall I tell her..... :D

Ted and Moon Girl,

Okay let's do it this way. I'll eat your piece of chicken Ted and you eat my bean soup and Moon Girl I have no idea what you can eat cause I don't know. But I ain't eating no chicken that was cooked in bean soup and I'm beating Ted that you really ain't gonna eat bean soup that was cooked with chicken. Can we have beer brats instead? Man for a piece of chicken right now. B)

Edited by ChattyKathy

Well truth be told today I bought 2 chicken breasts from Popeye's so I could have one tomorrow for lunch also. So it's safely tucked away in the fridge at work. :rolleyes:

Black bean and that local sausage of ours....oh yeah now that works! What is wrong with us, are we hungry or something? :D

I should be doing something so I may not reply if you do okeedokee.

Act2,

I'm just thrilled by them. I have looked at them three times each in a row just to remember and enjoy the experience of it all. And I feel so comfortable in your home because I can wear my old #3 Nascar TShirt and your hubby only ask me to cover it with a pillow while sitting on the couch. Y'all are so cool to hang with. :)

Gosh, can I come back?

Edited by ChattyKathy

Only if you promise to behave. I have to admit, though, at least, the alarm didnt go off this time!!!!!!!!! What's up with that????!!!! heehee

Please buy a #6 Mark Martin shirt before next year, ok?????????????????

Edited by act2

We were so beat by the time we hit the sack we'd of never known it. :)

The silent auction was fun also wasn't it? Next year I'm bringing two Fiesta pieces (the old stuff) to contribute for it. I never use them, they were just awesome finds, what that foundation does with it's money is worth more than sitting on a shelf to me.

I'll not promise to behave though. Night-Night, I must get some study work done and then sandman land.

Okay I'll get a #6, cause he really was pretty nice about it all. ;)