GreaseSpot Cafe

How serious was Harry's little "mistake?"

waterbuffalo

I have to admit when I first read the article about Prince Harry wearing a Nazi patch to a costume party, I felt a little outraged and perplexed. Maybe this was because I recently watched Speilberg's documentary about the death camps and the images were still so fresh in my mind.

Sure, the kid is 20 yrs. old, but surely with all of their money he has had an even BETTER education than the average bear and has to know all about what the Nazis did. For him to do this shows insensitivity at the least, imho.

I'm thinking I wouldn't want to be Harry right now. Forget about what every Jewish leader in the world has to say, he's going to have to face his grandfather who is known to not suffer fools easily.

Am I over reacting? Should it just be viewed as a childish prank? I think he should be seriously disciplined over this one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a minute more, had to return.

quote:
"The fact that the palace has issued an apology indicates that this was a mistake by the prince," said Rabbi Jonathan Romain, a spokesman for the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain. "But having being given, the apology should now be accepted."

Fine, accept his apology then someone spend some serious time with this young man before he goes into the academy.

Am I overreacting, I don't think so.

quote:
"Harry is due to start training to become an army officer at the elite Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst later this year."

For me to speak more would drag 'tacks over here.

ex70s -

Well, yeah, MOST people shouldn't have to worry about being politically correct.

But royalty is hanging on by a thread in the UK, from what I've heard. Every royal needs to be *painfully* aware of political correctness. Every little faux pas will be scrutinized endlessly in the press.

ex70s,

Here's another yabutt for you to think about...

quote:
Harry's older brother, Prince William, also was said to have attended, dressed in a homemade lion and leopard outfit to fit the theme of Native and Colonial.

How does Harry's costume fit the theme? He's making a statement here for some reason.

I'm of the same opinion still. It wasn't something to fool with by someone in view like himself. Call it immaturity if you will, but some people don't have the luxury of just putting it out there, to heck with the consequences.

And I hate political correct, this is not political correct.

It's more than a garment of clothing, sorry if I appear bothered by it.

...and this just in from the newsworthiest source...or was it the wc wall? same thing...

the queen's son's boxers sport "Kiss my royal Harry foot..."

maybe he should have just painted himself orange and black and gone as a Monarch Butterfly...or showed up as an english muffin, squashed between two crown wannabees...

Poor Chuck, he must be totally abashed by such brazen yutefulnez.

At least the kid had the good sense not to to show up as Ann Boleyn.

Edited by MATILDA

quote:
Am I over reacting? Should it just be viewed as a childish prank? I think he should be seriously disciplined over this one.

Yeah, I think you are over reacting just a little. Look, as someone else pointed out, Harry is the "spare". I think this is just the perfect way for a "spare" to act. I mean, come on, his father was an a$$hole to beloved Lady Dianna, who was killed in a horrible car wreck, but only after she had dutifully, as a good Princess, given birth to the "required" "heir and a spare".

How would any of us like to be thought of as just a "spare"? I imagine that young Harry may well have a decent bit of resentment towards all of this business, and that this is the natural reaction of a young twenty year old in such a peculiar perdicament. I would not doubt it at all if he was a little resentful about "acting as required", and therefore does the usual prankish things that "spares" are known to pull.

Wasn't Prince Charles's brother somewhat of a rogue? And that Fergie, whatever she was, is (although admittedly not a "spare"), has always been somewhat of a "trouble maker". I think it is just fine and dandy, and as far as being offensive to the Jewish community goes, I think they should lighten up. It was a costume party for heaven sakes. They weren't the only group to be hurt by the Nazi's. The Poles, Russians, and many in the Baltics were murdered wholesale by the Nazi's. And of course, do not forget the Battle Of Britain, where the Krauts bombed the crap out of England. Many many Brits died in that one, and mothers were left childless, children Motherless and on and on as did also happen to the Jews. What's worse? Being murdered or left Childless? Or being murdered or left Childless?

Me? I love political INCORRECTNESS.

Naww, don't severely disciple young Harry, just laugh with His Spareness...

This kid was raised in the public eye, taught from the cradle that he was going to be king someday, schooled at the finest schools in Europe and you really think I'm going to believe this was a social faux pas?

I have no pity for the bloody little twit or think this was a "misjudgement" on his part. He KNEW it would cause a stir. He's the Paris Hilton of the royals - no brains, lots of money and everyone knows his name. BIG WHOOP.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

...and as far as being offensive to the Jewish community goes, I think they should lighten up. It was a costume party for heaven sakes. They weren't the only group to be hurt by the Nazi's. The Poles, Russians, and many in the Baltics were murdered wholesale by the Nazi's. And of course, do not forget the Battle Of Britain, where the Krauts bombed the crap out of England. Many many Brits died in that one, and mothers were left childless, children Motherless and on and on as did also happen to the Jews. What's worse? Being murdered or left Childless? Or being murdered or left Childless?

Jonny, I see you understand the severity of the Nazi movement. What I'm some alarmed about is the insensitiveness that Nazi's to "any race" is ultimately deadly to the "undesired." This thinking that gained access in Germany amongst folks primed and ready didn't address itself in an outline for all to read. It started with little nibbles, not unlike a group that devoured some of us here.

It's not a little act of rebellion. And if we think it all fun and games, oh let the chap soar a bit, we've neglected to recognize a big bite out of our guarded rears (or sure as heck should be guarded).

Do I sound overly serious? Maybe I am. But it concerns me that youth will chose to imitate a wild red haired prince, whether they understand what they're doing or not.

quote:
Naww, don't severely disciple young Harry, just laugh with His Spareness...

I will "laugh with his Spareness" when he has *los cojones* to show up at a KKK meeting, wearing a POW outfit (complete with Star of David), that Jews in concentration camps wore.

He woulda been *crucified* by more than just the press, and that's a fact.

Maybe the Jews will "lighten up" when they can go more than a generation or two without somebody trying to wipe them off the face of the earth.

While "being murdered of left childless" doesn't feel any different to the victim whether it's done in war or in a pogram, the Germans bombed Britain, as the Allies bombed Germany, because they were at war. The Jews were German citizens. When they invaded Poland, they did not seek to exterminate the Poles, the Russians, or the British, they did seek to exterminate the Jews wherever they found them.

quote:
Me? I love political INCORRECTNESS.
Yeah, me too, but not to the extent of excusing the Nazis or winking at some inbred "spare" prince who thinks it's funny to dress up as a Nazi.

Oakspear you quoted me and then said something that I will quote from you

quote:
: Me? I love political INCORRECTNESS.

Yeah, me too, but not to the extent of excusing the Nazis or winking at some inbred "spare" prince who thinks it's funny to dress up as a Nazi.

"Not to the extent of excusing the Nazi's"? Excuse me? Do I read you correct in accusing me of excusing the Nazis? Listen dude, you are way wrong on that one. I don't think your opinions will hold much weight with me much longer if you read that one into what I was saying. For I did not say that.

Now, you correctly read that I do believe that His Spareness should be excused for his boyish prank, and that is fine that you don't like that.

And hey, when the Nazi's stormed into Poland (can you say blitzkrieg?), you may not think that they were trying to exterminate the Poles, but you just tell that to the Poles at that time! The wholesale slaughter of Women, Children and their Daddies and Brothers is just that: Wholesale slaughter. Call it what you want, but they (the Nazis) were the scourge of the earth no matter what their political or military tactic. Anyone who stood against them, got DEATH, if they were able to dish it out.

And back to the point. Harry was no doubt hoping to ruffle some feathers, and I think he succeeded, and I think that if people make a big deal out of it, young Harry will have succeeded in his prank all the more.

But as far as me "excusing the Nazis", then well, you could not be further from the truth. My Dad and his buddies fought the bloody Hun during that war, and he is doing his last tour of duty at Arlington National Cemetary because of his battle heroics. I excuse the Nazis for nothing. I just don't think that young Harry did anyhting that bad, that's all. As one poster put it, his costume was poking fun at the Nazis.

Remember Rowan and Martin's Laugh In? Remember that guy that always dressed as a Nazi and would say; "Vedddy Intedesting, but stooopid". Remember that guy? That was never considered an outrage. I don't think that this should be either...