GreaseSpot Cafe

Child Abuse in TWI

Mister P-Mosh

Cool Chef...good for YOU ...standing up to that Mother f-cker.....who the hell was HE to be treating your child that way????

It is a shame that you were kicked outta there.

Definatly shows twi had their heads up their bu tts.....

Out in the world the other guy is the one who wouldda been prosecuted for assault on a minor.

It wasn't emphasised in our branch to'love them up' afterward, and I didn't see that practiced.Perhaps before the nineties, but all my kids were born in the nineties.

Also, if a child was spanked(the one time attention getter) but was too upset, crying etc to respond with obedience, then they were to be spanked again. Because you 'didn't get their attention' and Again. And Again. My HFC was very proud of how he spent hours with some kid once(a little kid, like two) and spanked him until he obeyed. Spanked him until the child was totally exhausted.You ever have a child crying uncontrollably?--But the correct Biblical and Godly way to handle it is too keep spanking until they SHUT THE F()CK UP and obey.

Obedience was all that mattered. Children were not loved by TWI, at least not where I was at. They were an inconvenience.

We left TWI after a visit to my family. The difference in the way our children were loved and cared for, compared to the constant disapproval of the fellowship, was a big reason.

I'm talking about little kids too--toddlers really had it rough.

I worked pretty hard to keep my kids away from the fellowship. Through away the bible scripture spoons.

Here is the offical usage of the wooden spoon,spanking, and smacks to various parts of the body. This stems from the verse that says, "He who spareth the rod, hateth his son.", whatever, there are others, but that is the main one.

The rod was used to get the child's attention, to snap them back into the reality of the situation. The times when the spoon was used on me in an abusive way, was mostly by overzealous single corps. No non corps dared smack this behind. But, yes there has been breakage of the woodenspoon in some smacking sessions. That is just too excessive. So like all things, some people took it too far. Sometimes my own parents would go past the "attention getting" and just smack the shiznit out of me with the spoon. I dont know that many kids who didnt get a beating though, so what else is new, comes with the territory...

child sexual abuse in the family corps?? do we have enough room here? i never was, but i heard alot of testaments as i got older coming up in the Way. Mostly girls, of course. Anything you can think of, and dare not to, its disgusting.

I dont think its the Way's fault per se, but they should have done a better job screening people. Too many people were "healed" overnight from past demons and put into positions were they would have access to abuse some kids in the worst way possible. Where is the revelation to get rid of these people, the word of knowledge, word of wisdon, and discerning of spirits? These people couldnt help little kids when it really mattered, they cant even help themselves today.

The biggest mistake ever made at the Indiana Campus was putting GB in charge of Children's Activities. It was our last year in rez.

His wife had done a fantastic job of it before she married him, but in a perversion of "the husband should be the head," apparently he married into the job, so she could take a back seat to him.

GB WAS especially hard on the Jr. Corps. He once kicked my son, and I told him and Bob M that if he ever touched my son again there would be hell to pay. At the time I thought GB had just taken a particular dislike to my son. It wasn't until after I graduated that I found out he was rough on all the teens.

So to those of you who suffered at the hands of that sicko, I sincerely apologize. I should have raised a much bigger stink than I did, and maybe you would have been spared from his rage.

Georgio, thanks for sharing that story about WC. When I knew him he was one of the most loving, gentle men I ever knew, and I hear he still is.

It wasn't JH or WC who caused GB to be the way he was. He arrived on the scene that way.

quote:
Those who put him in charge share every bit as much stinking blame.

The only reason GB was in charge was because he married C, who had the job (and some training in education) first. I got the sense in the '79-'80 year that she was in charge and he was the understudy. So the uneducated man is more qualified than the educated woman? Yeah right! Typical TWI.

Belle and Georgio and Lindy, I agree, "loving up" after striking a child in anger is crazy-making behavior, and part of the abuser's arsenal to open a person up to further abuse. When done to children, it might confuse their understanding as adults of what real love is.

Regards,

Shaz

Thanks for dating that Shaz.. that was gonna be my next question icon_smile.gif:)-->

This crap happened under vic's watch..

mr attention to detail, forgotten more than you can know about holy spirit, all nine all the time, no devil's gonna get in my head sonofabitch.. right under his stinking nose.

Oh well. So much for the good old days..

"The Rod of Correction" aka the friggin wooden spoon...

This subject just makes my blood boil. I never knew GB was that kind of bully. I just knew I didn't much like him. But there I was, the child-less corps stooge at the Indiana campus who over-used the rod because I was told to and didn't know any better (thankfully only twice but it was twice too many and still haunts me!!!)

And I later became the mom who realized that while the first "tap" with a spoon was SOMETIMES necessary, usually it was not.

My child was the sensative, intellectual type who would immediately be beside himself after the first swat, and he wouldn't be able to process a thing you said to him until you calmed him down. So, at home I wouldn't use it at all, and constantly battled with my ex about it. He told me we needed to toughen our son up, and train him not to be so sensative.

At twi gatherings I used the rod only lightly (for show) and got reproved because I didn't "follow through" (meaning I would just talk to him after the first swat). They just couldn't get the fact that he was ALWAYS, even as a toddler, the kind of kid who responded extremely well if he understood WHY you wanted certain behaviors from him. A little explanation, a little understanding on his part and he was good as gold... still is that way. But if you just order him to do stuff with no explanation he gets frustrated and angry and upset and resentful. (a lot like me, I guess... lol)

But they didn't like that. I was forever being told I rationalized with him too much, and that I should be training him to "simply obey". I was told to use the rod "firmly" and repeatedly until he was submissive enough to hear what I wanted to tell him. HAH. Each swat just drove him closer to the edge of an all-out freak. And then they would tell me that he was testing me and that if I "gave in" he would learn that disobedience led to victory. I had to out-last him. (hence the stories of adults flicking or swatting kids for hours on end!!!)

--- this from the people who's kids turned out to be the most bullying, vindictive, taunting, arrogant teens I've ever met ---

You know, experience has taught me that kids come hard-wired with certain personality traits, and you are foolish if you try ignore that. You teach a sensative kid not to be so sensative by building up his own self-esteem. Then he has the inner strength to withstand the criticisms, mistakes, and obstacles that are a part of every-day life.

All the swats did was belittle my son and eat away at his self-esteem. His father would order him to "control his emotions" so he would bottle up his frustration and swallow his tears only to have it all explode at some other time (usually way out of proportion).

It's taken being away from his dad half of the time (aka divorce), and some counseling, and a lot of self-esteem building, but he's now a mostly normal, happy kid... who's still on the sensative side and responds better to reasoning than to orders.

I'm so VERY sorry for you kid-corps who were at the mercy of such ignorant, arrogant bullies as GB !!!!

Excellent post, Highway!!

quote:
You know, experience has taught me that kids come hard-wired with certain personality traits, and you are foolish if you try ignore that. You teach a sensative kid not to be so sensative by building up his own self-esteem. Then he has the inner strength to withstand the criticisms, mistakes, and obstacles that are a part of every-day life.

AMEN! Parents know their kids and what communicates to them. Some kids just need a glare and they feel terrible for having disappointed Mom or Dad. Others may need a swat now and then.... It's the parents who are around the child who know which forms of punishment and attention getting techniques are best for their child. TWI said that out of one side of their mouth, but got onto you if you tried something other than what they taught. Ridiculous!!

Dig it; exactly! Every kid is differant and none deserve to be hurt, I don't care the circumstances.

Our oldest daughter came into the world arguing and her dad used to say we probably should swat her butt every morning just to cover for what she was gonna do that day.

Our youngest is the total opposite; very quiet and a look can send her into puddles of remorse, much more than the crime warrants.

She's not even had a light swat on her bottom in 8 years. The child just doesn't need that.

Kids never ever deserve to be hurt.

It's the grown ups that have no self control in these situations. Kids get that.

Gosh, being the parent of multiple children, I can absolutely attest to the difference in children and what is required for each of them to learn to function in this world.

You`d never believe that children sired by the same parents....raised in the same home...could result in such different personalities.

"They just couldn't get the fact that he was ALWAYS, even as a toddler, the kind of kid who responded extremely well if he understood WHY you wanted certain behaviors from him. A little explanation, a little understanding on his part and he was good as gold... "

This is something TWI never got. Children may not always understand WHY. That's why they ask WHY all the time. Never explaining anything to them makes them frustrated. They have brains, they are people, they deserve an explenation. They're not that different from adults that they should just be beaten into submission.

"because I said so" isn't a very good reason to listen to someomne.

"--- this from the people who's kids turned out to be the most bullying, vindictive, taunting, arrogant teens I've ever met ---"

That irony wasn't ever lost on me. I always saw thet hypocracy of leadership when their kids were the worst kids, by far. Yet they would command you to parent their way. It's mind boggling. But I never said anything, out of pure fear.

The amount of fear I lived with while in residence was too much for a person to handle. It's no wonder I was so anxious all the time. It was exhausting.

Originally posted by LornaDoone:

I have a hard time with this. I never in the 20 some years of TWI ever had anyone tell me to beat (spank more than one time) to get their attention, then tell them what they did & why they were corrected. Then you loved them up. (/QUOTE)

My response went from a spank once to beating a child then loving them up. As I mentioned before we had over 30 Way Corps in our area and NEVER did one of them strike a child in our area that did not belong to them with the exception of one mother who occassionally baby sat & she did not beat them.

So again I say we were taught to spank once (never in anger) controlled, not out of control and then explain what they did and why they were corrected and then you show them you love them so they are not left feeling bad. We were also taught time out & that sometimes an explanation was all that was necessary if the child responded. If they were bouncing off the walls (and I taught CF for over 13 yrs) they needed the correction.

I have helped raise 8 beautiful children with the spoon (& broke a few, that were defective) and they all have turned out to be wonderful people. So spanking is definitely in my book but I believe we were taught the proper way.

Those that were abused were exactly that & had I known of a situation, I would have ripped that leader a new AH. I would never have taken that crap from anyone and no one in the world could have convinced me that beating my child was a necessity.

So it's the people, not the teachings from God that made grave error and it will cost them dearly one day. Better a noose be around their neck.

Sorry for all of you who had suffered, had I known I would have been beserk and called Dyfus.

Well Lorna, the rules out on the field were always different than those at the root locals...about nearly everything from child abuse to extra marital sex to abortion....

The people who lived there were supposed to be more mature.... *spiritual* enough to handle this greater discipline and commitment that was required of a doulos...same for the children.

That was the justification anyway.

For goodnes sakes if the head of childrens activities at a way corpes training campus is a viscious bully that is abusing children....it is going to be viewed as the *best* way to do things:-(

Rascal is right. Also, most of my recollections of leadership hitting kids was corps on corps. I don't recall them doing that to new folks coming to twig.

I am willing to bet it did happen.

But Rascal is right. In residence was a whole different story than the real world.

"So it's the people, not the teachings from God that made grave error..."

Agreed. What was happening in Rome City was definetly of God.

Enlightening thread, to say the least...

I was sent to Rome city campus (I was a non-parent in the 10th corps)...for about 4 months, and although it was less rigorous than Emporia, I found it very disturbing...

Everybody walking around with a wooden spoon in their pocket...kids getting whacked every 2 minutes...a very un-natural feeling about the whole scene...kids seemed inhibited and scared...

After I was there for a few weeks, Bob Moneyhands tells me, that even though I am not a parent, I should still carry a wooden spoon around with me... icon_eek.gif...(never know when you're gonna have to swat one of those little boogers)...I was horrified!!! At first I refused to carry the damn spoon...finally, somebody "assigned" me one! I carried it in my back pocket for show but NEVER did I use it...not ever! Maybe some of those kids thought I didn't like them, because I always avoided them as much as possible...saw a bunch of kids in front of me, I would walk the other direction...why?...I couldn't bear the thought of ever hitting a child with that damn spoon...couldn't do it, wouldn't do it...

...and I felt GUILTY about it too...I thought I was wrong, because afterall, the fartblossom with the rev. title on his name tag, had said so...but in hindsight, I see now that there was something inside of me that wouldn't buy it...

I should have taken that spoon and b*tch slapped Bob Moneyhands with it....

quote:
"So it's the people, not the teachings from God that made grave error..."

Agreed. What was happening in Rome City was definetly of God.

Do i detect a little sarcasm....I hope?

It may ot have been "da Verd" that was being taught from the podium on Sunday, but it was what was being taught by example and at times in private. It may not have been from "da scripcha" but it was being taught in private by leaders on multiple levels.

Not only that but it was allowed for numerous reasons, all of which are rediculous. One being the doctrine that if something evil was going on the local MOG or WOG would hear about it straight from the mouth of God. Second, as with many other areas, they felt that if you taught someone the Verd "rightly divided" they could do nearly anything with a minimal amount of training if any. "So what if you have never dealt with kids before, he is the Head and is coprs, he is the salt of the earth, he can handle taking care of some kids". "Any two believers can get married and make it work." Why? Because they are believers, they can do anything thru 'Christ which strengtheneth them'." While that sounds good on paper and at motivational seminars, you still need to be trained properly and be overseen until you are clearly compitant on your own. This was really a business being run at the locals but it was being run like a commune. Dare I say, like a cult. TWI was responsible to a degree and whether they were teaching it in the Way mag or SNS or not, it was still being taught on a smaller level to the LEADERS(!!!!) of the ministry and it was being allowed either knowingly or by virtue of neglecting their responsibility as "the Boss".

Lindy, it was this way out in the field....I saw it a couple of times....a woman with a child would get married...to a man who was completely clueless about raising children...she would then turn over her twig and childrens fellowship activities to the new head of household with disasterous results.

I would watch these sweet children just wither from the sarcasm the screaming the punishment recieve at the hands of the buffoon now throwing his weight around....enjoying his new power and ability to control...I watched these children submit to outragious treatment because they believed that if they loved God and wanted to be a blessing to their mother....this was what was required.

God I get sick to my stomache remembering a sweet teenaged boy being screamed at by the new step dad in public...his face scarlette with shame...the man giving every evidence of enjoying it.....

I knew one teenaged girl who resented the step Dad .... the lc told the family to throw her out of the home because of her disobediance....the family resisted and was propmptly told that the daughter goes or the entire family would be m&a....sigh the girl went to the streets....