GreaseSpot Cafe

Is there still a lot of drinking in the way?

My3Cents

Just curious. I haven't been involved since the mid 1980's but back then a lot of top leaders got quite drunk a lot. I've known limb meetings to be taught by a leader when he was soused. Numerous drunk driving incidents and many more drunk driving situations that did not cause incidents (by luck).

It seemed a very popular passtime that after a meeting leaders would get together and get plastered - and I mean getting drunk, not just having a couple of drinks.

Is that still common?

I had always heard of "TWI's 2 drink limit".

I saw most other beleivers as well as WOWs limiting their drinking to 2 drinks.

Wasn't it published somewhere as their offical stance on drinking?

I also saw a few instances of beleivers insisting on a zero-tolerance stance to alcohol, also.

We once did a PFAL class in Newport News Virginia, where one TC got VERY insistant that during the after-graduation pizza party there would be no beer. We questioned it at the time, and he only became more insistant. That was the same TC who insisted that all wives call him by his miltary rank (he was a Lt, and never allowed military personnel to call him by anything other than his rank). Bonnie got in his face and insisted that he always call her "Mrs. Young", whereas everyone else called her "Bonnie". He was wrapped a little tight, I was just thankful he was not a submariner.

One guy that I got into TWI (Dave Winterbottom) was perhaps stopping at a few bars on the way to Twig, when that TC got really insistant that Dave stop all trips to bars. I felt kind of weird at the time, as I did most of my drinking with Dave, but nobody had said anything about my drinking. And I was fairly certain that I drank more than Dave did. But hey, if you can't be hard on the new guy, than why have new guys.

Oh yeah ...there was a two drink limit...that was always circumvented by making sure they were extremely LARGE drinks...

The leaders kept it pretty clean for us lowly tiggys...but as you went up the way tree and could *handle* things spiritually a little better ...blech there was a lot more heavy drinking...heck look at vpw ha hw...they were really heavy drinkers

Tom,

Me, too.

It could've been worse. I knew a couple of guys that started smoking once they learned of Dr's affinity for Kools.

I can't blaming my smoking on TWI, though. I started well before that and thank God quit a decade ago.

I can attest that in the '70s TWI, believers consumed alcohol in copious quantities. That was one of the attractions to TWI: no goody-two-shoes Baptist attitude on beer. I agree with Ben Franklin on the topic: "Beer is proof that God exists and wants us to be happy."

SkepTex

Socks said "After watching the Way dot org site's videos from the SNS, I'd suggest that if there isn't, they start. It'll make it sound a lot better."

I think they should start drinking to and there two drink minimal is fine as long as it is two FORTY Ouncers before they start.

Digi

Way back when, there were keggers after tc leaders meetings, well, most the time we waited till after the meetings.

Then the suggested 2 drink limit for the WC which some how it seemed we went to bed and woke up and it was a mandate for all. Once again, unhappy WC decided to *share* the love with the rest of us or something..........

Then there was good ole Loy Boy hisself, proclaiming he never had been drunk, not once in all his life! He was the great and shining example of disciple and total self control! Just as his marriage was the example to be followed as the beacon of a Christian marraige!

Must just been his *unit* that was out of control, you know had life of its own. He just *found* it others men’s wives, or something..............................

Yes!!!!!!!!! He was a god among men!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a lot of problems over the years but heavy drinking wasn't one of them. Even in the 80s, I was told two drinks equaled two "servings" of alcohol. One shot=one drink, etc. I had my time when I was in "leadership" and didn't see it then either.

Maybe it happened other places but no place I lived.

yes well there were many alcohol abusers in

TWI and for an allegedly christian organization

there seemed to have been a marked lack of

personal discipline in this regard. Of course the Way double

standard looked over alcoholism as a real

problem preferring rather to focus on "homo

spirits" and such. But it was taught that alcoholism was caused a devil spirit also but perhaps because enough

people had this very real problem they decided to

place it in a less severe category. I guess some spirits

aren't as bad as others at least in TWI point of view

I was in when the 2 drink limit was started. vpw started it saying there were too many problems with leaders drinking too much. [Never mind that he was one of the worst - though he seems to have been the kind of alcoholic who could drink a lot and not show it too much and he always had others to drive for him]

However, as with all way "guidelines" my experience was each leader did with them what they wanted to. Some didn't even mention them, some did but enforced them only when they felt like it, others made it a gestapo kind of thing, and others make a mockery of it by using a 40 oz cup and calling it one drink.

In my field positions from 1975-85 (approx) I almost always reported directly to a limb leader. When I got together with the limb leader and his direct reports for leaders meetings and such, there was always drinking.

My initial question was directed at any innies or folks who were recently in to know if that is still common.

Yeah it was rampant. In fact I remember a particular time we had way too many beers at some corps gathering thingie then piled in a friend's Volvo wagon. Yes, he drove us drunk, appearing to be on a kamikaze mission, while we fired bottle rockets out the open hatch. i may have been drunk, but i was still scared.

Remember, 3 cents? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Evan is right...it was rampant.

I was interim Corps 1980 to 1981 at HQ and it was a favorite pastime...not much else to do after dark with 10 degrees outside.

But then, maybe we drank a lot to numb the pain of it all.

Two drink limit...not for at least about 25% of the Corps I'd say.

Rob

Hi Howard...how's the liver holding up?

In my obsrvation, this was another one of those things that depended on where you were, who your leaders were, what the local habits were etc.

I know many folks, including leaders who adhered to a two-drink limit, and not any of those 40 oz drinks either. I knew just as many who insisted that they could hold their liquor, so it was okay for them.