GreaseSpot Cafe

Were You Ever in the Way Magazine?

Hope R.

I was going through some really, really old Way Magazines trying to find an article someone was looking for. I didn't find it, but I was totally mesmerized by the old photos from years ago. I saw a bunch of people I know in some of those ROA group shots. And there's a "centerfold" in one of the issues from 1974 that has one of those panoramic photos of the whole Corps and Staff from that year. It was fun to see all the young faces of old friends again.

Then I got to thinking, I'm sort of surprised that in all my 29 years in TWI, I was never in one of those candid shots! Oh, my back is in the ROA film (standing in line to get in, while Ralph is getting his hand stamped - the only reason I know it's me is because the girl I went with is facing the camera - and I was standing with her), but other than that, I never "made it"!

How about you? I know I saw a couple of pics of Litwin, and a bunch of socks (mostly promo shots!). I still have most of the old Way Mags and would love to see your pics!

Anyone admit to it?

Surprisingly, I was in TWI mag once. In October 1982, I was called to HQ to work on a then upcoming video, "The Teacher," as well as the filming of the transfer of authority from VPW to LCM. They flew me there from New York (I was a WOW in Long Island at the time,) put me up, fed me, all that. I slept in a room in the barn adjacent to the Wierwille house, and one morning around dawn, while I was waiting for my ride, I saw VPW walk out of his house, light up a smoke, and continue on to wherever he was going. He saw me too, and we waved to each other.

I slept in a room in a barn, OK, but please don't take that the wrong way. It was neat, comfortable & tidy, and seemed appropriate for a short term visitor, such as myself. Even though it was October in Ohio, I didn't freeze.

I worked on "The Teacher" and some scenes from another one, dubbed "The Way Corps Video." On October 2, we filmed the ceremony that relegated VPW to the stance of that of a living corpse.

I was the 1st assistant cameraman, since I knew how to load the cameras that were being used. On the scenes from the Corps video, I was a crane operator - the same title I assumed during the filming of "Athletes of the Spirit." They flew me in for that one too.

(On a technical note, for those who know about these things, one of the cameras they used on October 2 was a Cinema Products CP16R. Had they consulted me, I would have advised a pair of Arriflex 16 SR cameras, along with 4 magazines. The 16SR is the perfect documentary camera - you can change a mag in 5 seconds flat. But they didn't ask. I had to work with what they provided.)

I was mentioned for my work on "The Teacher" in an edition of TWI Mag that shortly followed my adventures in Ohio. It went something like this... "Daryl Lamkey, currently a WOW in Long Island, served as the Key Grip." However, there was no picture.

Even though I am permanently, forever and eternally ex-TWI, I cannot say anything bad about my experience then. I worked my butt off the whole time. That said, it was a great deal of fun, and I worked with some dedicated, quality people.

ExWayDaryl

Lives in Franklin Park, Illinois with Alex, his cat.

I was never in the Way Rag, but my ex-wife was in it in 1974: she was in the choir that year and there's a picture of her and the rest of the choir singing in pouring rain.

There used to be a guy named Roger in our branch who came to Lincoln with the final wave of WOW's in 1993 or 1994. It seems like he was in about every issue for about a year: WOW pinning, Advanced Class, Word in Biz.

Hope:

You, a minor celebrity, were never in the Rag? Inconceivable!

Not the Mag, Hope, but I was in ROA72 movie also. They cut us from the video tape, but in the original movie I was there , near the beginning. It was Becky B, (later F.) and me and a WOW named Beth H.

It looked like we were doing a kind of ring-around-the-rosie hug, but really we were just hugging and the camera kept going around us.

~HAP

Are there any surviving copies of the ROA72 movie ? There are several folks that were in our local twig that "made the cut" and I am curious, after all these years, to see it again. Mostly, I'd like to see the faces of those people (we had some real characters in our group-ha !). I am also intrigued as to how the film would play out to me now. There is lots of water under the ole bridge and I'd be seeing it minus those rose-tinted glasses I once wore. Just wondering....

Hope I was thinking the same thing wondering where all of these people have gone and what they are doing these days. Never made the way magazine either Hope, but hey you got to be on a record that triple Platinum best seller. Why the royalties must still be rolling in. icon_eek.gif

Wow... I expected everyone to say they had been in the mags at one time or another... seems like I know so many who were, including me.

I was in the college division when they did a feature spread, including some class shots that we were all in, and then I happened to be in-rez in the corps when they did a feature spread on how "great" it was to hike and chop wood and run and study and how we did fun things like slumber parties and hey, don't YOU want to be corps too?

The candid shots were always great to look at whether you knew the folks or not, but about mid-eighties you start seeing less and less of those and all the apparently-canded shots began being posed... gave them more control over how it looked and more control over who was in it... can't be showing any copouts by accident, now can we? Of course, it also makes things look like Stepford, but they don't seem to realize that.

My hat made it in one time while I was standing near the gazebo where "New Horizons" was singing - at the 1981 rock.

Then another time, I was singing at the rock during Chorale practice but, someone (vp) about 10 feet away from me was between me and the camera. That was sometime in the early 1980s.

Oh well.

Per

I was interviewed by one of the staffers who was writing an article about running palf classes or something,since I was running a class at the time..She even hung out at the class and took pictures...When the mag came out the next month I was not just a little disappointed...

I expected at least a couple of pages of my insightful perspective along with perhaps three or four face shots of me with different expressions and maybe my finger pointing in the air...Instead,all I got was a couple of paragraphs and no picture...I thought "how dare they"...I'm good enough to run their classes but not good enough to have my picture in the way magazine?...That was what did me in....In fact,I probably should have put this on the 'Why did you leave?' thread...So just a few short years later,I quit running palf classes,took my $ out of the way credit union,sold my horn o' plenty at a yard sale and-oh yes,cancelled my subscription to the way magazine....

Of course I was never in the Way Magazine. Nor was I in any Way Productions of note, High Country Caravan or anything else.

I went out running with some people they were shooting for "Changed" and I got into a brief edge of few frames. wow

Oh yeah, and I was one of the faceless mob in those Corps pictures. If I spend about ten minutes looking at it, I can find myself.