GreaseSpot Cafe

The Worst Way Song

Raf

What was the worst song produced and sold by TWI's various groups?

I remember continuously hearing "There Ain't Nothin' Wrong With Hank Williams Jr." (I don't know the exact name of the song). And every time I heard that song I would think... I didn't ask you. It's like, the song extolls the virtues of Country music, which is fine, but has got a big fat zero to do with the Bible.

Anyway, that's not the worst song in my opinion. But I am thinking of one in particular that drove me bats. But I'll save it until I hear a few more.

Now, you can't just name the song: give a lyric or two and 'splain why you hated it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never actually heard this song, and I've only seen the lyrics once, but the name is enough to qualify it as completely non-Christian.

The song, of course, is "Wash My Feet in the Blood of the Wicked". As if the blood of the Lamb weren't enough.

Hey Bramble,

Let's pretend, for argument's sake, just pretend, that I never heard the song and I don't have the slightest idea what the lyrics are or why you hate it. Just pretend, mind you.

Could you tell me? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Well, I don't know if this was twi song but it was sang at every rock of ages....Beautiful Ohio...gawd, I just hated hearing that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, what I thought were twi songs I found out later when I got out of twi that they weren't actually twi songs but songs from others that they had changed a word or two. Not too many originals in my way of thinking.

Raf, I don't remember all the words, just the chorus, confrontation. Over and over, before household fellowship--one of our HFC favorite songs.

This was in the time of rigid scheduling, Y2K prep, constant needling and 'reproof,' home inspections, financial budget inspections, child rearing instuction("You need to spank them more, harder...") two by two, marriages breaking in the branch up and folk being M&A and gone overnight.

Maybe you had to live it to really hate it.

My opinion of one of the worst (sung to the tune of "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Be Cowboys"):

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be homos

Don't let them wear earrings and carry a purse

Let them chase women, drink whiskey and curse

That's a christian organization??

Farther Along....

Tempted and tried we’re oft’ made to wonder

Why it should be thus all the day long;

While there are others living about us,

Never molested, though in the wrong.

Chorus:

Farther along we’ll know all about it.

Farther along we’ll understand why.

Cheer up my brothers, live in the sunshine;

We’ll understand it all by and by.

Faithful to death is our loving saviour,

A few more days labour and wait.

Toils of the road will then be as nothing,

As we walk through that beautiful gate.

When we see Jesus coming in glory;

When He comes from His home in the sky.

Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion;

We’ll understand it all by and by.

Often I wonder why I must journey

Over a road so rugged and steep;

While there are others living in comfort;

While with the lost I labour and weep.

I'm not talking about Songbook songs. I'm talking about those songs by Acts 29, Brian Bliss, PDSTRO, Sam Pruyn, Breakthrough, Billy Falcon, Singing Ladies... you know, songs that they produced and sold.

If we were to include hymns, I would have to argue for the PFAL song.

"I Saw The Light" was independent of TWI.

I was thinking of "Plurality Giving" by Acts 29:

It goes beyond abundant sharing

It's giving your plurality

If you really want to move the Word it's time to raise your vision.

It goes beyond abundant sharing

It's giving your plurality

You've got the choice; it's in the Word, what's your decision?

How many of the people singing that song were PG'ing? Gimme a friggin break.

Oh, and I'd be pushing up DAISIES before anyone ever caught me singing I am a leaf, I am a leeeeeeeee-eee-eeeeaf...

There goes mah faaaaaaaaaaaaamily, I know who they are...I can tell by the green bumper sticker on the back of their caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr...they drive in comfort, they drive in staaaaaaaaaaahl and they'll be a-drivin' that way for a long long long long while...

GAG!!! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> anim-smile.gif

The lyrics are pretty ironic consdering I NEVER saw a car at the Rock that was worth a crap! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

How about all of the "sounds-like-every-other-song" music that they did with the choir? They're so memorable, I can't remember any. icon_smile.gif:)-->

My top honor has to be held for an INTRODUCTION, not a song itself. Craig Martindale talking at the beginning of the tape with all the ridicule songs done back in the 80s. Tom something? Something about being an empty, the homo song, etc. He does this goofy laugh that sounds like even he doesn't sound like the tape is a good idea. Even for him, it didn't sound genuine.

ROFL, "Beautiful Ohio" -- didn't they play that every morning as we staggered down the hill to the morning sessions of Advanced Class '79? I had recently seen a horror movie, "Dawn of the Dead," where the zombies were tramping around a mall as the Muzak played. "Beautiful Ohio" so reminded me of that movie!

All those formula songs must have been awful, but they were after my time. One I remember was when Joyful Noise was being asked to get into country music, which I mostly hate, so I was so disappointed. The worst of them had the lyric,

"We dig the Word while we dig the coal,

In the belly of the earth let God's Word roll..."

As if JN knew anything about coal mining! So much talent, so wasted. Socks, can you shed some light on what THAT was all about?

Regards,

Shaz

PFAL...there's something just for you...

It teaches you how to open those doors

And how to walk right throooooough.

That song always sounded like a commercial, like someone just cranked it out on demand. "Write a song about the PFAL class." "OK"

Shaz, be happy to and glad you asked. Joyful Noise members in the first draft were actually coal miners prior to taking up musical instruments and striking up in song. This accounts for why some of the JN male members weren't tall people, being former miners and of a stature that allowed for burrowing and wriggling around down in very tight places underground. Also the odd hair styles in the early years of JN - it took several years for the hair to actually return to a normal look after so many years wearing those little hard hat helmets down in the mines.

Little known fact - mining small amounts of coal and other minerals and ore provided JN with the means to support itself on many of the later itineraries. We were able to sell it and trade it for petroleum products like fuel and oil for the vehicles as well as groceries, guitar strings and miscellaneous toiletries. It was amazing! It proved to be a very useful means of...

Wait. Wrong life. Sorry. icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ted wrote that song (I think...) if I remember correctly, for a theme album titled "All Aboard!' The theme was derived from teachings and topics related to "the mystery" teaching. It was a play on words, sort of, mining the ore out of the ground, mining the Word for truths, that kind of thing. I can't remember where the imagery of coal miners digging away with bibles in hand came from exactly but that's the general idea. As far as any relationship to coal miners, we weren't trying to come off that way although it's occurred to me now I guess someone could have though that. Outside of maybe using charcoal briquets now and then I don't think we were alleging to have any actual first hand experience with mining.

Although we did use picks of course.

That lcm speech was par for the course. Not even counting AOS, that dweeb

HAD to stick his fingers into EVERYTHING.

He was on High Country Caravan, and he prefaced the satire tape

"Many Ways" by Tom Burke, and I forget what else.

Probably the main reason lcm redid all the classes in an all-new, inferior

style.

For all us NOT-morning people, the song "Beautiful Ohio" will ALWAYS

conjure up violent thoughts. Anybody else remember the story about the

time the tape came up missing? Supposedly, it vanished one time, and

vpw said "Ok, I won't play it again-I just want the tape back."

I agree with the songs mentioned already.

Let's see...

Breakthrough's first album, side two, "Military Man."

Nice song, a paean to our veterans, but I didn't get the relevance on a

Christian album. A minor quibble.

Tom Burke's first album, "Many Ways", side two, "Witches and WOW's".

I really liked some of the lyrics in this album, I really liked some of

the lyrics of THIS SONG.

However, despite already having an entire song about the Trinity, he

couldn't resist taking another dig at them.

The end of a song about witches begins

"So ring the bells and fly the flags

You can tell all of them witches, Trinitarians and fags".

So, apparently, all three were either related or equally heinous.

Tom was a lot nicer in his next album, when he wasn't required to push the

party line...

Acts 29's second album-"Ready For Anything."

"Somebody Lied-God Never Died."

Another song to push the party line on doctrine.

I'm ok with most of the song, but the end of it goes to far.

"So understand we've been redeemed, Lord Jesus was the price

And those that say that he is God are of anti-christ."

That's a reference to I John 4:2-3 and II John 7, and twi's rather unique

way of explaining them.

Apparently Trinitarians were responsible for the fall of Western civilization

or something.

What WAS the name of that song with Hank Williams? Something like

"I Thank God For Country Music" or "Country In My Veins" or something.