GreaseSpot Cafe

Write the check..

Hills Bro

Remember those check books that were sold by TWI . You know the ones where we were told to just tell God what you want by writing in the 'pay to the order of' blank - your request ..believe ..and whalla... God would bring it to pass? Is this really the proper way of receiving Gods blessings to our lives? Oh I know the rational was to go find the promise first in the Word then ask (demand) and believe. But what if I wanted 200,000 dollars a year income based on the promise of an abundant life? So I write that amount in and poof ...No result. Is it my will or Gods? Telling God what I want instead of listening to what God's will is for my life and allowing Him to bless me? TWI seems to be more into your will rather than Gods. What say you?

Is this law of believing and receiving that TWI taught still apart of your life? TWI taught us to find a promise in the Word ..Claim it and Believe to receive it. We were taught that this principle of believing works with a mathmatical exactness and scientific precision. Seems to me that when you believe TWI's way then your telling God whats best for you and demanding the results. Why not just let go and let God handle whats best for you?

Remember when we were told by TWI never to surrender to God? TWI taught that whenever you surrender your losing free will and it would open you up for possession. I think this is a bogus arguement. When Moses came to the Red Sea did he know that the Sea would part open and he would pass thru..NO..he entrusted his life to God and God took care of him and His people. Thats what I see as surrendering ones life..you simply trust God to take care of your life. Let Him decide on all the details. Why beat yourself up?

Anyone still into the Law of Believing and Receiving stuff?

Edited by Hills Bro

"Anyone still into the Law of Believing and Receiving stuff?"

Surely you jest (I'm sorry, I shouldn't call you Shirley).

I've long since thrown ALL of such nonsense out.

Baby, bathwater, soap, sponge, bathtub. It all went. And you know what's really remarkable? My life hasn't changed in any dramatic way whatsoever. Still the same sort of problems, "blessings", and all the in-between stuff. Life goes on despite my utter rejection of any Holy Thunderer or Celestial Micro Manager or "principles" that such like may espouse.

Makes me wonder why anyone else still plays the game. Any con needs some sort of reward, ocaissionally, to keep the "mark" interested. I guess imagined rewards - plus the veiled threats of what will happen if you don't continue to play - are enough for some to keep playing.

I've long since had my share, though...

and I second that what everyone said. In fact my life has gotten remarkably better since I don't use the law of believing any more. As excie said its sure a better life without all that guilt!!!!!!

Damn straight....life has been immeasurably better since I have ceased *requireing* God to act in the manner in which I ordain.

It strikes me what arrogant boogers we were.

In contrast....it has been much nicer to recieve what is offered with thankfullness...s`funny ...but it always seems to end up being far above and beyond any of the results my petty *commands* ever accomplished.

I remember getting my face melted during fellowship one time for praying "if it's Your will" during prayer. I was told that saying that wasn't believing God for the outcome I had prayed for.

But, doesn't the Lord's Prayer, the one where Jesus teaches us HOW TO PRAY, talk about "Thy will be done". I hate saying all those "thank you"s in fellowship prayers.

I thought the Mountaintop Checkbook was a good idea. It was a way for me to see that God's Promises were presently available, if I believed. Everything was taken from scripture, and mostly the promises in the gospels and lots of the words of Jesus himself.

Ain`t THAT a kick in the bu tt wayward wayfer???

Here you are...talking to God...askin real polite for something n then nosey self rightious butt head has gotta interfere and slam you for it....makes you wish God`d a stuck this giant finger in the face of the screamer ...pinned em against the wall and snarled *mind yer own damn business...this is between me n her* ...

quote:
But, doesn't the Lord's Prayer, the one where Jesus teaches us HOW TO PRAY, talk about "Thy will be done". I hate saying all those "thank you"s in fellowship prayers.

I hear that. icon_smile.gif:)--> And also, Luke 11 is the only place mentioned in the Bible where the disciples actually ask Jesus to teach them something.

And this is what He comes up with. Yes -- it is important. I still remember docvic saying "why cannot I pray this prayer?" (whatever session of "da class" that was in)

Who was he listening to?? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

yeah WW. It's a total sin in TWI to ask and pray that the "will of the Lord be done." Being a know it all and "commanding" and "believing" seemed to be the cool thing to do.

No wonder it's so hard to get prayers answered.... icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by WaywardWayfer:

I remember getting my face melted during fellowship one time for praying "if it's Your will" during prayer. I was told that saying that wasn't believing God for the outcome I had prayed for.

Man, that Jesus must really have been walking in error in the garden of

Gethsemane....

Father, if there's any other way to do this...let's take it.

Nevertheless, not my will, but Yours be done.

I stopped that believing equals receiving stuff and was so much happier. I saw God do things in our lives I did not "believe for."

Case in point - my truck got stolen from the trolley stop where I parked it every day. Did I "believe" for it's return. Heck no. I was sure it was in a chop shop, that's what I believed. Well, lo and behold, a couple of weeks later the police called and it was parked a few miles away in fine condition.

Do I believe God got it back for me? Yes. Did I believe God in order for that to happen? NO.

But He did it.

Just one example in my life recently