GreaseSpot Cafe

What were you hoping to get from twi that you still haven't gotten yet

waterbuffalo

Pawtucket mentioned on another thread that there are things he'd hoped to have gotten in twi that he still hasn't gotten to this day.

Desires of the heart that still haven't been met for me is a loving family relationship. My family seems to always have one member offended with another in someway about SOMETHING. It seems the best thing I can do is pray for all of us to have a change of heart instead of asking God to "fix" just one of us. That seems to work better than anything for a while until the next episode. LOL!

Was anyone else hoping to get something that still hasn't happened for you?

WB

Waterbuffalo

how you described your family is how most families interact .

Some give the appearance of stepford but in reality have much serious issues within the denial .

families are the mystery of God . the fact your family is strong enough to be honest and have discord speaks very loudy just how healthy and interactive it is!!!!!!

that is how love is in real life , it can get ugly and messy and complicated and it is often misunderstood by those most highly invested in it!!!

your family sounds like something to celebrate instead of being ashamed of to me.

we fight heavy for the things we love do we not? the other choice is indifference and denial and just plain not giving a thought to how others play out in our life!

Family can be defined in many many different ways waterbuffalo but the bottom line is engagement with one another with oftentimes intense emtional investment!

it is what makes life fun and worthwhile !

This topic provides a good opportunity to consider, I would have to say that TWI providing to me everything that I would have expected.

I liked PFAL, the over-whelming majority of twigs, the ability of self-study, and the greater usage of the Laity, wonderful opportunitys to minister those in need.

Certainly it is a shame that those drawn to power were corrupted by that power, but then again we all knew that power corrupts.

What do I want that I never got??

A return to the "good old days" that disappeared so quickly. They were here one moment, then gone the next.

Even having Geo back in town, and him hiring me to help with a roofing job. The "good old days" were here briefly, but disappeared so fast, it was almost like they were never here.

I would like to see that happen again, whether or not twi was involved. They (twi) went their way, and left a lot of us in the dust.

I guess I got all I could from twi. Good friends, good fellowship, and good memories. The only thing I could have wished for more than all of that, would be a lasting relationship, and that never happened.

Oh well -- the memories remain.

If there is one blessing it is the fact that not using your head for spiritual things is a blessing. I mean the brain. Walk in the spirit not in the brain. The God the Word stuff has gotta go.

The tough thing is, I did it on my own with the help of Jesus. Who says no man is able to pluck me out of his hand.

Got no regrets. Got no thanks to give to men either.

In retrospect, I was hoping to get a family. The kind of unconditional love that Jesus has for mankind that we are supposed to emulate. The wayfers believe that their doctrine is Lord. The wayfers believe that Jesus is okay to mention in fellowships in the proper perspective. As long as it doesn't interfere with their superior knowledge.

They believe that having classes about Jesus is the same as having him as Lord, somewhere, in their coffee clutch.

They don't understand a thing about human compassion, friendship, being a neighbor, contributing to the community. They are self centered a-holes all around.

I wasn't very complicated when I got into the Way--I was a college kid, not all that grown up. I wanted to know The Truth,and I wanted what alot of girls that age want, a nice husband, future with kids, etc. And I got it--I married one of the WOWs who got me in the class, had a bunch of kids.

Years later, I had a HFC who seemed to be doing his darndest to split us up. There were Years of confusion and doubt--doubting myself, because, why would a believer, man of God etc, be trying to wreck my marriage? Why would anyone dislike me so--especially a leader? I'd never had this problem before--I was generally well liked, I thought. Had I changed? Was I really so hateful, slothfull, hardhearted?? What about what was best for our little kids? Why couldn't my husband see what was happening?? I must be wrong!!!

I guess because it was deceptive, and sneaky and so ugly it was hard for an idealistic guy like my hubby to believe. Plus the HFC was a buddy of his from waaay back.

Finally, we left. I no longer believe in The Truth, though I believe in some truths that work for me. I still have my marriage, far more stress free now, the kids are growing up. . . I guess I now have what I wanted, which was family.

A lot of what has been mentioned here. I wanted friends, unconditional love, the spiritual knowledge and power that was advertised.

I did find a great husband, but he was lied to and tricked into thinking I was an ungodly, contentious woman and that he should divorce me. I could tell it broke his heart to be following the orders of the leadership, but he felt he had no other choice.

I found power, but not Godly, spiritual power. Just obnoxious, controlling, OCD power over people under me and how to be submissive and roll over on my back like a dog to the big bad wolves in positions of authority.

Spiritual knowledge, I got plenty of, but it was really only labels and characteristics of the bad side that I was taught. Now that I'm out, I'm in a position to learn more of the good, right, honest, Godly aspects of spiritual living and growth.

I do miss my ex-husband a lot, every day even. It's sad to think he feels the same way, but just isn't strong enough to stand up to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

I do miss my ex-husband a lot, every day even. It's sad to think he feels the same way, but just isn't strong enough to stand up to them.

It is so mind-boggling to observe such an organisation, which at one time depicted itself more or less as something of a "maverick" which gave lip-service to the notion of "Christianity-not-a-religion", having done more to actually reproduce and magnify everything that is most despictable about religion, rendering a number of its members spineless brown-nosers and boot-lickers who would go so far as to sacrifice even their own spouses and families, because the organization "told them so".

I'm heartbroken and saddened Belle that this happened to you and so many others.

Danny