GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Cafe -- Names we're known by (and icons)

Kit Sober

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I am still going to San Fransisco to take my tour guide training. It is only 2 weeks...will probably start tour guiding February, 2003.

Tour guiding is like being a stewardess...you go all over, but then return to home port. Right now my home port is Cape Cod...but, I will be transitioning to a new area in the interm of all this going on. I'll probably rent out my house here, which is very teeny, only 18 x 24 feet, but absolutely darling for some city folk to wanna live in and commute to Boston...or I'll use it for a summer rental and make big $$$...Regardless, the rent will be my social security income when I retire, seeing as I haven't a pension...

I have thrown all my confetti up in the air, and, dabba, it's in the process and coming down in a new, and hopefully, more fulfilling pattern.

I miss the mountains, I miss the rolling hills...

I've been here way too long. It's the place I when leaving twi. It's time to go.

I think an affordable co-housing community is what is needed for the future of the boomers. Anyways...I love communal living, and plan on developing one...I'm sure there's info on the net about them.

Peace

ET1 (SS) Galen Young, is my title and name from my carreer in the navy. I retired last year (March 01), after 20 years.

I am an Electronics Technician (Silent Service) accordingly I rode various submarines, from '78 through '97. During '97 - 01 we were in Italy working as police, and I served with Kosovo (defending muslims from christian retribution).

Sudo - I was doing stuff with BBS's and Fido boards through the late 80's and 90's. Good to see others that have been on-line from old.

Good to hear you Kit.

galen

ET1 SS

Galen,

Re:"Sudo - I was doing stuff with BBS's and Fido boards through the late 80's and 90's. Good to see others that have been on-line from old."

Yeah.. there are still a few of us around who know how to do more than just point click and ship. When one got a computer in the late '80's or early '90's, they had to know things like DOS commands and how to edit autoexec.bat or sys files and the like.

That makes things a lot easier for us now but computers and their operating systems are getting to be more and more like automobiles.. back in the '60's and early 70's, a backyard mechanic could fix his own car. In fact, a buddy and I overhauled my '63 Ford Falcon when we were in high school. Took that sucker apart.. took the head to a head shop to be reworked, replaced all the rings and bearings, put the thing back together again and it ran like a charm.

Today, I look under the hood and don't even know what all that stuff is. Computers are getting that way too. Where the heck is the AUTOEXEC.BAT file in Windows XP anyway???

sudo

Hey Sudo, xp doesn't have one. It's set up on the nt kernal not the dos kernel. I too yearn for the "good old days" although they ain't comin' back this way too soon!

By the way, you can download the xp files for setup disks on floppies from microsoft, if you don't have a backup set. I always keep sets on floppies for any systems I use, as well as the cd's, since the good ol' floppies work no matter what. Get 'em while they're hot, ms is making "as is" noises. They're here if you need them.

------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Edited by Guest

Speaking of names, I picked "socks" about the time I was winding off of workstation installs where I work and starting to work on our intranet. socks is a computer term, and here's the official definition:

quote:
Socks (or "SOCKS") is a protocol that a proxy server (a proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between a workstation user and the Internet so that the enterprise can ensure security, administrative control, and caching service.) can use to accept requests from client users in a company's network so that it can forward them across the Internet. Socks uses sockets to represent and keep track of individual connections.

It just seemed like a funny term, and then I realized it was the Clinton's cat, which seemed interesting. He must've seen a few things from time to time. Socks are warm and fuzzy. Dunno. It must've been a late night coffee jag thing.

Dancin' Calvin-love that little guy! I need that kind of energy!

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Edited by Guest

I originally logged in under my real name Mark Coomer, but through some glitch in the system (or, more probably, a lack of understanding on my part) was unable to do so after a time.

Hence SameName because... well, I don't know... maybe because I'm still me. Besides, I like the sound.

Maybe someday I'll get an icon. Any suggestions? (Don't be cruel, uh hunh-huh).

Mark

I have revealed my true self to a few people but I have not actually ''said'' my name here on the internet.

In the past I had kids in school here in New Knoxville but now they are graduates.

There are many locals and outies that know who I am. A few have confronted me about some of my postings and I have not denied who I am.

I have not revealed myself here because it just makes it easier for the waygb. By my not saying who I am they can not tell their children to stay away from mine or anything else bazaar. I know they know who I am.

I chose nknative because that is exactly who I am and what I am. I have lived here my entire life and have no plans of leaving. I LOVE it here.

I enjoy living my simple life and I enjoy being able to be near family (at least most of them) lol

Some day I will say my real name but there are a few innies that I keep in touch with and I do not wish to make their lives any more complicated than they already are.

Kit, you are a sweetie and thanks for starting this thread. nk

Well let me see this screen name started when we ask for a definition of Debt and the answers we got were"get a dictionary and my favorite What do you want" so I decided on indebtsayswho to show twi's stupidity and lack of authority. Now for my icon yes its THE TICK true fighter of crimes going on in twi.He was my families favorite cartoon series cancelled by Fox tv which I am convinced has to owned by twi because that show was cancelled. True Tick fans still pay good money for the cartoons. So thats the story hope you liked it.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?M...&query=the+tick

Fightin crimes of daway

Ok, in reality it is because I collect napkin rings and cloth napkins. I am a horrible cook and prefer to set the table! My icon is a picture of the book I wrote on how to fold napkins many different decorative ways. (there that was the commercial)

Hubby (indebtsayswho) aka my personal manager, posted a link for all you latent napkin folders out there who are dying for a copy!

However, a GS poster told em they thought I was the one who put the napkins on the table at GS! I like that explaination even better! I'd be happy to provide the napkins to help wipe up any twi messes that I can! That is why I sign off with "Fold twi, fold!" I could help them fold in many many ways!

What a great idea, Kit!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...isbn=1895569524

Napkinlady

Fold TWI, Fold!

I was in the US Marine Corps (NOT to be mistaken in ANY way for the Way Corps) when I took the PFAL class, and I was still in when I left TWI.

The Marine Corps (for that matter most any other Armed Forces branch) has the propensity to uproot a fellow every so often and send him/her elsewhere often in what seems to be the blink of an eye. That said, I seemed to be moving about every year and a half to 2 years on average, so I adopted "The Nomad" as my CB handle (showing my age, eh?).

When I discovered the "wonders" of local BBS systems, and later the Prodigy on-line service in the mid '80s, I found barriers to using The Nomad as my on-line handle. For one, Nomad was usually already taken. So I massaged it through several variations. I even dropped it once to call myself Thumper for a while.

When I found the WayDale EZboard back in 1997, I decided to try Nomad one more time. Again, it was taken, but they suggested I use the number 256 after it. I thought for a moment, and figuring that (according to E.W. Bullinger) since the number 8 is the number of super-abundance, and anything repeated 3 times is completed, I thought, "Why not! It's as good as their suggestion." So it was, that Nomad888 was born on the Waydale board, chippin in "My 2 cents..." wherever I feel it's needed, or if (like this post) I just want to comment.

I'm still here, even though I did not migrate to the Greasespot Cafe until WayDale closed. I've since left the Corps, and TWI, and I've pitched my tent elsewhere in this world.

I do occasionally log on under my real name, but just in case I ever need to be unrecognized, I still keep my real identity a secret (except for a few folks I trust).

That's all there is to it...

My 2 cents...

Nomad888

Hi Kit forum_smilies_162.gif

Mine? the "joke" in "the class"

i thought it was a dumb joke...one of many, BUT it seemed like the story really happened...I've had alot of "weird" timing things like that happen in my life

a bit of a reference toward peeps burning in hell ...you peeps!! LOL!! j/k

the avatar...I smoke and I like Central Americans, they seem laid back

It being my first time through on this whole "living" thing,

this is STRICTLY a practice run! crazydude.gif

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Well, healing and health was my main study in TWI, including going WOW during the Year of Healing 77-78. But I was frustrated that the results of prayer and ministering (as a leader) were not more consistent. I found it hard to believe that we all were "just not believing big enough" or not "renewing our minds".

My path to herbs and natural therapies came from a fellow-laborer (remember that term?) whose background was nursing and the fact that money was not in abundance. After all, had a family, abundant sharing, Corps sponsorship, running a twig and never had the training nor kept a job long enough to get benefits.

So, after "spending all her money on doctors" and still having the issue of blood (illness), I asked God what I was missing. KNOWLEDGE was the one word answer. So I went on a quest that has gone on for 17 years in addition to the ministry time.

I never made the "whos-who" list of names most people would know in the ministry. So most of you would not know who I was if you knew my real name.

Sure would like one of those icon thingies under my name, but I AM computer illiterate.

This was fun!!!

QamiQazi is an interpretive spelling of kamekazi which is the interpretive spelling of @#$#@ or however you write it in Japanese. It means "divine wind," which we know in the Greek (if only you could read it in the original) is pneuma hagion. During WWII in the Pacific, receiving the holy spirit Japanese style meant your ship was under attack. But before the conflict there was a greater spiritual meaning, or I like to think so. I also thought it went well with my belief that to gain something we must first lose it. Crazy idea, isn't it? I must have read it somewhere and it just stuck like gum to the shoe of my soul. I also love poetry and words and many levels of meanings. Life gets curiouser and curiouser, and so do I.

"You don't really live until you find something worth dying for." - Jesus

My given name is Maureen --My mother always called me Maure (more E). I hated the nickname as a child and still don't use it outside of the Web and Family.

I use it online because It is not common--With Maureen you end up with Maureen53498897234. But I usually can use Maure with no problems.

MO

• 1 month later...

I couldn't think of a real snappy name, so I picked: "now out of the way." The icon I chose was the one that seemed most thoughtful, and also because it's looks and reminds me of Lenoard Cohen the songwriter/poet - a long time personal favorite.

I also used an old e-mail account that I have for free offers and required e-mail address inputs, etc. I have the name Jason P. because Jason is my favorite mythological character, and the Peters part reminds me of Peter who was such a small stone in the sandles of Jesus Christ.

Also, I really like that everyone here calls me Jason instead of "now out of the way." Even though its a pseudonym, I still really like everyone calling me Jason.

FTR - my real name is Warren; I live in Cupertino, California, but way up in the Santa Cruz Mountains - just 30 minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley. Like Sudo, I've been doing this sort of thing since way back when everyone called them BBSs; I think I got started back in 1991, or maybe early 1992.

-Jason P.

Edited by Guest

I've only started posting, but I have been reading for months. Been out of 8 years (with hubby and kids) and had been wandering out in the dessert for all those years until we stumbled upon GS. Not a whole lot of people where we live to fellowship with- so it's nice to be here - read some familiar names - hear some familiar stories and figure out what went wrong. Like I said, for years we wandered around in the dessert wondering what we were going to do now that we were ousted from TWI. We were in from 1975 'til 1994.

I am french, and often sign off with A la prochaine in correspondence which means - 'til the next time - or 'til we meet again. Do not want to give my name since I still have family who are innies. And I have a very different name - only ever knew of one person with my name in TWI.

Kit, don't know you very well, but I love reading your posts. Always very loving, caring and uplifting. Thanks for starting this thread, it was great for me to get to know some of you a little more. My hubby and I often try to guess who some of you are.

Oh by the way, we are x-corps

'til the next time...