GreaseSpot Cafe

Second Annual Southern Comfort Reunion n Weenie Roast

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not capable of planning get togethers... everyone wants it in their backyards. The beauty of the Weenie Roast is that Herb posts the date and the place and you are there or you are not.

I know that there will be something in Washington this year and probably a second one too in another area of the country. So to settle all the bickering, let's just have it in my backyard.

Tucket is correct, we are incapable of planning get-togethers! Perhaps congentitally!

There have been informal GS meets here and there for the last few years, the biggest difference with the SCWR was that somebody named it!

Some of you may be overestimating the amount of order and structure there was in the SCWR.

• Shell and Rascal told herbiejuan to set the date in the chat room
  • 2.7 seconds later he had done so
  • Somebody (I think herbiejuan) checked into cabin prices at Tim's Ford
  • Those who wanted cabins either reserved them themselves, or hooked up with someone who did, likewise campers
  • several folks volunteered to cook
  • we showed up
  • we ate
  • we drank "adult beverages
  • we ate some more
  • we drank some more
  • we ate the next batch
  • we sat around talking and laughing in between and during the eating and drinking
  • we went home

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

The above list is not meant to disparage the amount of work that the actual cooks put into things, THEY were organized!

Oh, we also smoked cigarettes and hugged each other

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Oaks, that was the Second Annual Weenie Roast. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

It was that easy, cuz it followed the First AWR (at the same place because it was successful).

Lots of hours of research, phone calls, lists and planning went into the First one. Our Benevolent Dictator deserves much credit for making the final decisions (concerning location and dates) and for making reservations and for being the "Head". icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But anyone could do it, if you want to put the work into planning!

Now herb,

You aught to know it isn't that hard, just take a shovel and break up about two square feet of earth. Then use a hoe to pound it into smaller pieces. Then take shovel to the center of the plot, shove it in all the way to the top of the blade and push it to the side so you have a little crack in the soil.

Then pour a handful of fertilizer in there and close it back up again. Then flip the shovel handle and poke a 6 inch hole 2 inches from the fertilized spot and insert a weiner. (Oscar Mayer works best here) Gently cover the dog with dirt and water about a Del Monte spinach cans worth.

It takes about 75 days to the harvest and will continue until the first frost.

Way II much fun for one man.

love ya,

Bob Hansen

How about Florida in February when y'all are freezing your heinies off up north???? We've got room!!!

Everyone repeat after me: Columbus Day Weekend ... Columbus Day Weekend ... Columbus Day Weekend ... Columbus Day Weekend ... Columbus Day Weekend ... Columbus Day Weekend ...size>

Hope R. color>size>face>

What a long, strange trip it's been!size>face>color>

You know that we don't HAVE to have ONE get together. If any of you recall, we had the GS third birthday party and that was a huge success.

I think that regional get togethers are a great solution. If Hope has one in FLA, and you want to go, GO. If Suz has one in the great NorthWest, GO.

Maybe we are too Rock-brained icon_wink.gif;)-->

[This message was edited by pawtucket on January 11, 2004 at 17:45.]

Edited by Guest

I'm with Paw. I think the smaller, regional get togethers that require a minimum of planning are the best. The Weenie Roast was just a nice, simple, relaxed weekend that was easy for most to travel to over a weekend. Those of us who were 1 or 2 states away from Tennessee didn't have to jump through hoops to drive for an easy camping weekend. I think the folks out in Arizona got together this past year one day.

Although some planning went on, like Paw said, you can either make it or you can't. The food, beverages and other goodies were kinda "potluck" style (people said "I'll bring this; I'll bring that") and we all shared what we could.

I think the simpler, the better. And if Greasespotters from 1 or a few states want to get together, then it's pretty easy to do. So just pick a date and have a get together that's close to some local folks. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Jardinero