GreaseSpot Cafe

Famous PFAL Graduates

fortunateone

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GKevinK

I've heard this guy Dr. Price teach also and you're right. Sometimes it sounds as if he were teaching right out of the books. This week he taught the 3 days and 3 nights that Jesus was in the grave before he rose up. He taught that Jesus died on Wednesday evening and got up on Saturday evening. The context on his teaching was word for word at times from the Jesus Christ Our Promised Seed book.

There were a bunch of chorus dancers from NY who TWI called "Broadway stars." I knew several of them and believe down deep they were embarassed by it - especially in front of those of us from NY who knew better. This was all during the horrific Athlete's era.

One person who actually DID star on Broadway was Gloria Zaglool, who became Gloria Olivier. She was the original "Rizzo" in the musical "Grease." I believe she could be heard singing on the soundtrack album at one time. She was in an earlier Corps (8th or so?). But they never made a big deal of her credentials - maybe she wasn't kissing the right ring.

quote:
Originally posted by personalentertainr:

Here's a name you haven't heard in years.... Annie Whitaker was the daughter of Jack Whitaker on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Though Jack never took the class, his daughter, Annie was a Corps grad (8th if I remember correctly)

Annie married a fellow corps man and soon after they married, were never heard from again.

not quite, pe...Bob and Anne H*nan were married 3 or 4 years before they went into the 8th corps. They were limb coord. of Maine circa 82-85 or so. Great folks. Her sis, Beth and husband whose name is eluding me right now, last name H*lgevold, were also 8th corps.

His name was/is Chuck Helge*old

And Jack Whittaker also has a son who was in The Way. I forget his name, but I met him after "the fall" in 1990 while I was visiting down in North Carolina, and he was a delightful guy. He had been somewhat of a renegade, and never went into the Way Corps and did all of the "stuff" that some of us did. He had really blonde hair, and he told me a bunch of stories about growing up around the likes of Frank Gifford and other sports industry greats. A neat guy. He had been burned while in The Way some time before all of the .... hit the fan, and was really reluctant to talk about it. I wish I could learn his first name and look him up some time. He was very kind hearted..

This is really cool! I don't know of any famous people except that they had a huge poster of some Tampa Bay Buccaneer posted at the entrance to the AC on the field one year. I thought they should have posted a picture of me, but....well, I'm not that famous, just famously annoying. wink2.gif;)-->

quote:
Here's a name you haven't heard in years.... Annie Whitaker was the daughter of Jack Whitaker on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Though Jack never took the class, his daughter, Annie was a Corps grad (8th if I remember correctly)

Annie married a fellow corps man and soon after they married, were never heard from again.

Actually I heard that Jack did take the class.

3_3_2v.gif

Ya know Belle, I think that Irving Fryar, of New England Patriots fame, played for the Tampa Bay Bucaneers later on in his career.

In fact, I actually saw an advertisement for some athletic shoes where he was billed as "The Reverend" in some athletic magazine. I would not be surprised that this is he of whom you speak...

Personally Belle, I would rather see a life sized poster of you than Irving Fryar, otherwise known as "The Reverend....." You are most definitely more beautiful. Could you send me one?

Bud Morgan didn't do much with twi except the videos, but his son graduated in the 18th corps. Don't know if he's still in or not.

Gayle Chapman... anyone know if she was in the college program 83-84? Then 17th corps? If it is who I'm thinking of she was very cute and had a magnificent voice but always seemed very shy about it... could this be the same gal who played with Prince???? (sorry, I can't tell from the pic on the website if its the same gal or not)

Oh, and Mohammud Ali was witnessed to by a guy who ran into him at an airport or something. I remember him coming back and telling us all about it. If my memory is not completely gone it was R!c@ M. that did the witnessing. After that, lcm quit saying that Ali was seed of the serpent. He would just say that the guy had definately operated devil spirits to gain his fame, and blamed the mental and physical effects being manifested by Ali on said spirits. (hey craig... dontcha think getting bashed in the head repeatedly might have had some effect?)

quote:
Bud Morgan didn't do much with twi except the videos, but his son graduated in the 18th corps. Don't know if he's still in or not.

I didn't know he had a son in the 18th corps. He definitely has a daughter who graduated 25th Corps (Somewhere around there). She and her husband were on staff when I left. But you are right, Bud M didn't do anything much but videos for twi. I think he did the "Changed" Video.

Gloria Zaglool was a top-drawer performer, and easily a notable B'way performer for those in the know back in the day. I don't know if it was TWI that was altogether responsible for curtailing her NY work...maybe...think she was 10th or 11th Corps.

Other dancers were Armani and Seda Azarian, Watson and Terri Price. Those might have been professional casualites courtesy of TWI, but I'm guessing.

When I was called in to audition for SNL, Gloria directed me to Terri Price, whom I had never met before. She was a dancer...it was 42nd Street,I think...Terri picked me up at LaGuardia, took me to her place in Queens where we drank great groups of coffee and told wondrous tales of the "Word moving in the Arts." We laffed and joked and had agreat time. I remember being greatly encouraged by her. Then she went with me (via the subway)to Rockefeller Center where the auditions were...afterward, back the same way. It was the greatest time. (NYC was alot like Chicago...on speed...lol)

I toured nationally for a few years (back when the earth was still cooling) and all my road trips were dotted with fellowships and terrific people...I'll never regret any of that...and there were lots of dopey names to throw around, believe me...but the best folk were the regular folk and there were signs, miracles, and I wonder often how I survived it all...lol.

In Chicago, my hometown and where I worked in Theatre for years, "stars" (they were to me...) would come and visit me at SCT. Seda and Armena were in Evita then, I think...

There was/is much bona-fide star talent that swam thru TWI, in any number of fields. I hope all are well and recovered, if, in fact, they ever knew they were in peril.

Truth be told here, one of the biggest things that irritated me then, and still now, is just how silly people are about people. It's one thing admiring and being a fan, but such adulation and people worship always made me burp.

MATILDA -

As WOWs in Fresno, CA (we were famous for causing sooo much trouble - just ask Radar) we invented "The Burp Game" - you could get up to 3 points for volume, up to 3 points for length, and 4 points if you tasted something (that was for you to report)... A perfect burp got a 10 - my WOW brothers got that score and one of my WOW sisters (who is now married to a heavy-revvie and lodging at Gunnison) could seriously hold her own... (I am not adept at this at all!)

So...

When those of us who think we have mundane lives and want to live vicariously thru the famous or infamous, just remember "The Burp Game" as you're revisiting your lunch.... ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by ChasUFarley:

Question:

Was Mike Martin a recording artist or whatever before TWI?

Anyone know?

No, he was not. He was not worldly famous whatsoever. I'm not even sure if he did gigs with bands in bars.

Oh, here is one I don't think anyone has mentioned. Does anyone remember "Salt Walther" the not so famous Indy Car racer? He came to The Big E (Emporia) and was paraded before us as the Indy Car Racer" that The Way International might possibly sponsor.

I thought it was really weird, because he "glad handed" us all, and made sure to squeeze the guys hands really hard (for after all, and Indy car racer has a grip of steel), and he was really nice, but all he and his syndicate wanted was money, and I remember feeling weird that he got all of that preferential treatment because he was an "Indy car racer". I mean, shee-it! In my mind, it was the believers who had pledged their All and all that deserved any approval, and not that "schlimy schmuck"!

Hey Johnny, I remember Salt. He's from Dayton. I met him in a Restaurant/Bar here called Elsa's. I used to hag there with "the guys" from a brokerage firm I used to work for. Salt & his team would also hang there when he was in town.

Yeah, he was a pretty cool guy. He always wore a black driving glove on his right hand because he'd had all five of his fingers amputated at the second knuckle. He did that hand squeeze thing pretty much everywhere he went.

We were out drinking one night at Elsa's (known around town for their giant margarita called the "Bad Juan"). Of course we were having Bad Juan's, (if you're ever in Dayton and you like margaritas, Elsa's Bad Juan is worth stopping for) It is recommended that you don't drink more than one, because Juan is BAD and he WILL kick your A$$! So the legend goes. Another guy we worked with had 3 over lunch one day. We carried him back to the office propped him up in his chair with his telephone headset on and covered his client calls. He eventually fell over, out of his seat into a fetal position on the floor.

Juan is a BAD mutha..., "Shut yo mouth!"

"But I'm talking 'bout Jaun!"

"....and we could dig it...."

I'm not a big drinker, but I actually had two Bad Juan's that night while shootin' the breeze with Salt. We were getting along pretty well and I said, "Hey Salt, what's up with the glove? You think you're Michael Jackson or somethin?"

He proceeded to do his hand squeeze thing on me, I was a wrestler all through high school and have a pretty firm grip myself, so when he squeezed, he was telling me how lots of really big guys wince in pain & cry like babies for him to let go.

I said, "Oh really?" and put my own little vice grip on him.

For a few minutes we were a couple of real hand squeezin' fools! Every time he squeezed a little harder, so did I. It was one of those testosterone-laden, male bonding moments in "margaritaville."

He bought me a drink & said, "You got a pretty good grip for a stockbroker!"

"You got a pretty good grip too, stubby!" I answered - back slapping, laughing, grunting, etc. followed.

He took off his glove & showed me his hand. It was pretty darn U-gly. He was in a horrible, firey wreck at Indy (which I think I happened to see on TV) and his fingers were melted to the steering wheel. They had to cut the fingers off to get his hand loose.

That squeeze thing was about his rehabbing his hand so he could still handle an Indy car at 200+ miles per hour. I was impressed, felt like my fingers were gonna pop off. I had to squeeze to keep my hand from exploding! He gave me an open invitation to come down to his shop, he was gonna let me fire up his Indy car.

I didn't know he'd been at Emporia & never told him I was ex TWI - never came up.