GreaseSpot Cafe

reading material

smurfette

Hi all!

I am going to order some books that have been mentioned here in the cafe. I was wondering which ones were most helpful to you and/or what I should read first. I am considering getting the Subtle Power of Spriritual Abuse, Twisted Scriptures and Tired of Measuring Up. Any other books you have read that helped eliminate Way Brain would also be helpful.

Thanks and have a "smurfy" day

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the new Harry Potter book, too.

For some light summer reading, you might try "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. It's a well-written fictionalized account of Joshua's (aka Jesus') young life, speculating on those years in which the Bible is mostly silent.

For fun, you might count the number of times you catch yourself going, "That's off (the Word)" while reading it. icon_smile.gif:)--> Then read it again just for the fun of it.

(I was going to suggest you make a drinking game out of it, but that's so off...Whoops! *chug* confused.gif )

You might also try some of his other books, which are listed on his web site HERE

Im with these guys, I'll read any book for enjoyment or to learn something new now, its very refreshing not to have to spiritually discern every little thing anymore...its refreshing

When I needed it years ago I read most of those books you mentioned, the one I liked the best and helped me the most was Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

Smurfette,

The best reading to get past "way brain" thinking are; the text books from college courses that you could be taking.

You could use the money you are saving by not giving it to twi icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Gosh, there are so many...

Who Moved My Cheese

Others: Breaking Christian Curses by Dennis Kramer (off the Elijah List)--talks about "pastors" who sit around and discuss and otherwise gossip about and curse the flock and what to do about it if you were on the receiving end--$12

Courage to Change, Al Anon book, $8, short reading everyday that helps break codependent and controlling tendencies--great way to deprogram yourself--

...pt me if you want more, that's the short list of great books out there that I've read in the past 15 yrs.

If you want to address some of the more virulent anti-Catholic stuff,

"the Babylon Connection?" is a good book you can find in Christian

bookstores. It's by the same Ralph Woodrow that wrote

"Babylon Mystery Religion" and is essentially

"how my previous book was wrong."

It's a must-read for anyone who read the previous book,

or sat thru any teaching by lcm.

I haven't yet read any of the others, but The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse really opened my eyes.

It also allowed me to see that it wasn't just The Way International that was spiritually abusive, but even mainstream churches can and do fall into the same abusive habit patterns, doing just as much damage to people who put too much of their trust in the wrong folks.

I'd recommend anything by Maya Angelou as well. I met her several years ago. As a person who survived sexual abuse among other hardships, she is a great example, at least to me, of refusing to be a victim, and overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles.