GreaseSpot Cafe

Christmas Music

TOMMYZ

Bing Crosby - my dad could sing just like him and would sing Christmas carols all year long - so for me, any music by Bing is just bittersweet, but really makes me feel "Christmasy"...

The one song that just is THE REMINDER for the RESON FOR THE SEASON is "Mary, Did You Know?" Oh, man - what a song!

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will one day walk on water?

Did you know

That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?

Did you know

That your baby boy has come to make you new?

This child that youve delivered

Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?

Did you know

That your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?

Did you know

That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?

And when you kiss your little boy

Youve kissed the face of god

Mary, did you know?

The blind will see

The deaf will hear

And the dead will live again

The lame will leap

The dumb will speak

The praises of the lamb

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy is lord of all creation?

Did you know

That your baby boy will one day rules the nations?

Did you know

That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?

This sleeping child youre holding

Is the great I am

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have to add one album that isn't Christmas music but brings back memories for me. I was raised Catholic and we used to go to midnight mass together. When I was a teen we'd open our presents when we got home from the mass. For Christmas 1971 my parents gave me "Chicago Live At Carnegie Hall." I was 14 at the time and I remember staying up listening to the album ( a 4 LP set ) from start to finish. I'm from Long Island and it seems extra special that the band is introduced by WNEW's Scott Muni, who has since passed away.

• 2 years later...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm not really a christmas guy. I dont particularly like the overcommercialization, the hecticness or the tunes that bombard you every year starting around Thanksgiving. So over and over I stay away but it always seems that eventually one song strikes me every year that breaks through and gets me "in the spirit", of the season. Its different every year. always unexpected and impossible to predict what it will be.

Once it happens it never really works again.Its the unexpectedness of it that makes it work for me

One year it was an acoustic guitar version of O Holy Night by Ed Gerhardt. One year it was a song by folk singer Anais Mitchell called Christmas in The East Bank, another year a choral piece, another year a song a childrens school pageant.

Last year I was surprised by this little exchange in a movie (Joyeux Noel) about the WWI 1914 Christmas Eve Truce,a true story that started with singing carols across the battlelines

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iDz8Ul_AQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iDz8Ul_AQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iDz8Ul_AQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I dont know what it will be this year, but I'll be waiting

to hear if anything really moves me for some reason or other----something usually does I just dont know what yet

Edited by mstar1

ChasU, thanks for posting the lyrics to my favorite Christmas song! Words by Mark Lowry, but I don't know how to post those links from You-Tube (computer idiot is what I am).

Budweiser Clydesdales - Yes! Snow - Yes! Budweiser - well, they make Shock Top so I guess that's a Yes! too.

And parts of Handel's Messiah are inspiring also.

WG

Bing Crosby - my dad could sing just like him and would sing Christmas carols all year long - so for me, any music by Bing is just bittersweet, but really makes me feel "Christmasy"...

The one song that just is THE REMINDER for the RESON FOR THE SEASON is "Mary, Did You Know?" Oh, man - what a song!

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will one day walk on water?

Did you know

That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?

Did you know

That your baby boy has come to make you new?

This child that youve delivered

Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?

Did you know

That your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?

Did you know

That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?

And when you kiss your little boy

Youve kissed the face of god

Mary, did you know?

The blind will see

The deaf will hear

And the dead will live again

The lame will leap

The dumb will speak

The praises of the lamb

Mary, did you know

That your baby boy is lord of all creation?

Did you know

That your baby boy will one day rules the nations?

Did you know

That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?

This sleeping child youre holding

Is the great I am

Chas - I had never heard this song until week before last when our pastor's wife sang it at church. Holy canoly, it sent chills all over my body!!! She has an amazing opera-quality voice and style of singing and it really was spectacular!

I'll be looking for more versions of it when I get some free time, for sure!

Merry Christmas!!! LOL (Don'tcha just love to say THAT!)

I'm with Raf, most of the "Christmas songs" make me want to run away ! There's a guy busking in the main shopping street in my town. He is tuneless at the best of times (usually with "No Woman, No Crime" or in his case, being homeless, Grime) but he is out there right now with horrendous renditions of two Chrissie carols. The shopkeepers should pay him to go away. Scares off legit customers.

But actually, I do quite like a carol service as long as I can shut my Waybrain up and forget about the overcrowded stable with shepherds, lots of animals and rich old geezers prancing about.

I like the commercial showing the Budweiser Clydesdales trotting along in the snow-covered woods with the song, "I'll be Home for Christmas" playing in the background. I don't know if it's the horses, the snow, or the thoughts of beer that put me in the Christmas "spirit".

I thought I'd paste the ad in case anyone wanted to check it out.

My kid performed this song at the Christmas service a few years ago. . . . not traditional Christmas music, but moving all the same.

I like Christmas Music

(I like Kathy Matea version of Mary did you know the best)

but I like Natalie Cole too.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>