GreaseSpot Cafe

OK OK OK OK What did you like least about the ROA?

FullCircle

I remember Watered Garden's version, but when I googled Beautiful Ohio lyrics, all I could find was Belle's version. It could be that TWI made up their own words to have an "accurate" song.

i loved the rock so much that i even remember going up to different places and asking if they needed help...

like the burger stands, the food tents... i'd go up to them, and ask if they wanted me to help clean up or anything they needed...

i liked the whole feeling of helping people out, doing something good for good people.

i went to the rock from the ages of 12 to about 15 i think... so i was a young kid...

i worked so many hours, from corps week to the ROA... and i loved it all...

I was at 3 ROAs in the early 80's. My memories of them are sparse but I remember the events getting consecutively worse. The first was carefree and kinda fun. I was in tent city and got caught up in all the activity. The worst thing I remember is that crap they passed off as soap in the showers. Well, and the lines. I still have pictures of VP on opening day when the plane flew over.

The second was kind of boring except for the 'training' classes. I think that was the year I went out as an Educational WOW and if it wasn't for the extra classes I'd have gone out of my mind.

The third year was the best. A few of us got kicked out of a corps teaching in one of the tents simply for being there and I met LCM upfront in all his arrogance. That was the first day. And last. We spent the rest of the week in St. Mary's at the lake, coming back to the grounds only for the nightly show under the bigtop and to sleep. And to think, I actually felt guilty about that for a while. Not long though...

-JJ

JJ, I loved the time at the campgrounds in St. Mary's. Many folks would get there early and do a pre-rock. I had more fun there than at the actual event. A couple of years VP actually came to see us all in his black whatever fancy car that was.

But when he wasn't there it was lighthearted and the fellowship was great.

Maybe the song was better in the afternoon, instead of being blasted over the loudspeakers avery morning. If you worked a night shift, or just stayed up late, it was a shock to the system to hear that , and 'Good Morning , Lord', erasing any hope for sleep.

I naively thought the ROA was a vacation for awhile. It was certainly the only vacation many were going to get. The early rock's were pretty laid back, but evolved (Devolved?) into as close a 'class' environment as they could make it.

:confused: In comparison to some I only had 1 or 2 major complaints about ROA>. One, it always seemed to rain; so if we were so into doing things Godly and in order, how come this happened. { Maybe not enough believing or someone out of fellowship? }2. There seemed to always be one or two who got pretty banged up, requiring a trip to St. Mary's Hospital. If we were God's best, and all these believing believers running around, why this??? I guess my biggest dislike the last couple ROA's was having LCM scream & lecture us for a week. If he was the MOG how come it took so long to confront the homos and why didn't he know about the teen thing right under his nose? Maybe because of his own playing around.

What did I like least about the ROA? It was the same things that nauseated me at any other TWI meet up, namely, group think and pie eyed zombie-like creatures walking around muttering tired a$$ TWI slogans and thinking to myself...do I really want to go to heaven and spend eternity putting up with this sh.it?

Hey Dante! Ask Virgil to keep me a seat warm and invite Ovid, Livy and the guys over. I'll bring the wine.

It was having to wake up to beautifull ohio that was awfull... Being a teen, I guess that I lacked the maturity to fully appreciate the the operetic style in which it was preformed over the scratchy loud speakers.....groan NOW it is in my head...please...get it oooooooooooooooooooooooout

Edited by rascal

Looking back, it seemed like a episode of the TWIlight Zone or The Outer Limits. :biglaugh:

Oeonophile, yikes! I remember the late Reverand Dr. Michael McDaniel, Bishop of the NC Synod required that state song be sung at the begining of every Synod Convention/Assembly after singing the Star Spangled Banner. :rolleyes:

It was a great Time and I loved it. I loved the WOW burgers, and most of all, hooking up with friends who had the same heart as I did: "Word Over The World". It was glorious and exciting. I couldn't have asked for more.

Oh....you said the least. Sorry about that. Well, the thing I liked least was staying up late at night and helping keep the tents up during the storms. Lotsa storms.

Edited by papa-gee