GreaseSpot Cafe

What American Accent Do You Have?

dmiller

WHAT AMERICAN ACCENT DO YOU HAVE?

Here are my results -- totally accurate!

MIDLANDS:

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

:lol:

Edited by dmiller

Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent even if you think you don't.

I was born and raised 10 miles from downtown Boston, so they were off by 10 miles :wink2: , but I'll give it to 'em, even though its not as thick as people from 'in town'

Interesting how they can do that in a few written questions

Edited by mstar1

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

And here I was thinking I had lost my "Canadian" accent many many many years ago! I'm not from Minnesota, but I am from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, same basic dialect as someone from Minnesota, which is very much like a Canadian accent. Very funny!! Especially because I tell Sushi he talks funny with his Jersey accent. :biglaugh:

Edited by Abigail

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Northeast

Philadelphia

The Midland

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

This is so strange, because I'm from southside Indy, so I thought I would have the same results as DMiller, but I've lived in Milwaukee for so long, I guess I sound like a Milwaukean now.

Your results for this quiz have been calculated and are presented below:

What American accent do you have? Your Result: The NortheastJudging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

And all this time, I thought I had removed most of the vestiges of my accent. Apparently, not. :biglaugh:

Edited by Sushi

Ha, ha, abi. But I would be a traitor if I had converted to Michiganese while I did my time in the frozen tundra. (An impossiblity really, after having grown up in the "Mid-South.") If it makes you feel any better, my dearly beloved gets pegged as a Michigander, even after being married to me for 25 years, and living in TX for 8. :B) Try as he might, he'll never sound like a Texan.

Too Funny....

I took this test thinking ... oh this should be interesting since I'm not an American

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

ha ha ha... outsiders prob mistake you for a Canadian... hahahahahhahahah

OK... I have seen Fargo... I don't sound like them... I PROMISE! :unsure:

Groucho,

OK I took it but it missed me saying I had a midland accent but if you look at the graphs, Southern is far and away the most prevalent. Ask anyone who has talked to me and they will tell you I have a very STRONG accent. I mean, all I have to do is say a few words.

When I lived in Philadelphia, store clerks would ask me where I was from by my just saying thank you! I would kid and say that I was from SOUTH Philly :)

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The South
Philadelphia
The Northeast
The Inland North
The West
Boston
North Central

Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

sudo

Your Result: The South

(and the bar goes all the way to the end)

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.

But I'm told all the time I don't sound like I'm from the south......

Edited by Belle

Right on target, the Midland for me.

I knew it all along...I have no accent...everybody else does.

Actually Dallas is listed and I am originally from Ft. Worth which is real close by.

The South
Philadelphia
The Inland North
The Northeast
The West
Boston
North Central

Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

:confused: Mine says midland...Oh well, born in upstate NY, and now in Ohio...Maybe confusing Ohio for NY?

Who woulda thunk?

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The West
Boston
North Central

Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Wow!. It said I was from Pennsylvania, but I was born in Kansas, and have lived nearly all my life in the Southeast. But then, i have been watching too much BBC America. :blink: