GreaseSpot Cafe

OK OK OK OK What did you like the MOST about ROA?

Jim

We've heard about the heat, rain, bugs, humidity, mud, etc. What did you like the most?

I remember being just amazed at the musical talent from some of the "family table" musicians at the early ROA's. I've never been all that moved by elaborate stage productions. OTOH, I really admire the guts and ability of a single or small group of musicians to just get up and perform.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim I like your angle.

I went to the rock from the time I was 12 until the last one. I never missed a rock. It was a time for me to catch up with old friends I didn't mind the food, and I loved the music. Sometimes the teachings got long for the cool August evenings and the mosquitos would eat me alive but I put up with all of that to be with loved ones and to make new acquaintances. The social aspect of the ROA was the most awesome experience for me.

After getting into the Way Corps that fun was minimized greatly because all I ever did was work. Even with a baby I was in an area where my leadership made me work. I really missed the fellowship with my friends and family. But I still managed to make a little time for them.

I enjoyed the food and fellowship with friends and making new friends all over the U.S. I remember when people would sell their wares, and the wonderful things you could find to purchase. I liked camping and sweating, everyone else stunk too, so it was accepted. Looking on the message board for friends from far and wide. Wasn't around when all the BS got going.Decide to part ways, :biglaugh: Last rock saw Athletes of the spirit, down hill from there. How c.m thought he could compare himself to John Travolta is beyond me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eusa_clap: ROA was special to me. It meant reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. As I spent a lot of time working east parking lot, I had many opportunities as people arrived. Even though there was a lot of teen "activity" going on at this point, there were still a lot of teens who came over, real polite and courteous, and we would have some great conversations. It made a lot of time go by during the day and late at night. I even enjoyed the meal tent, so what if the line was long.....Yes, some days were horrendous but it all depended on your own attitude and what YOU made of the week. Our area, at least, you were reminded that ROA was a time for your growth, but we were never arm-twisted or confronted. LOcal BC's basically indicated that it was our decision and our loss if we chose not to go

The only thing that I like the most, believe it or not, was the food.

I knew it.. :biglaugh:

well, something had to be good..

It was kinda fun camping with the kids, when things weren't so dark and serious, and we could actually play. I remember when they blocked off the parking lot in was it founder's hall? and filled it with water. I think ROA had some value, when it was more of a family type of event, and teachings were optional.

i liked the farmers market. I used to get the granola and yogurt and mix them.

I enjoyed the food in general though. biscuits and gravy, pizza, ice cream, ham---err wow burgers. tons a french fries. I was in hog heaven.

i feel bad for people who were trying to watch their caloric intake though. I guess you walked a lot of it off.

I know a lot of you hated it, but i really can't think of many bad things about it. When i was there i thought i was in a safe place, so i felt totally relaxed, and enjoyed my time with my friends/family/meeting new people.

I felt like i was in a big city filled with believers... it was the best feeling a young brainwashed kid could have. <----that sucks..... I just thought of that angle.////

a kid who was brainwashed... i almost feel like all my happy memories are a not real...

Edited by nandon

I liked the food-at least for the first few days. I don't think I've ever had fried chicken as good . I also yearn for the all you can eat pancakes and strawberries, and have fond memories of passing my plate to my old departed friend, Gary Smith, who was short on cash one year, so he could use my 'refills'.

I ate alot of wowburgers and pizza, but they were not that great. You had to really load up a wowburger with condiments to combat the dryness and give it some flavor.

By the end of the week I was looking forward to some 'non way' food.

The serious answer to what I liked about the rock was the opportunity to see friends that wouldn't happen ordinarily. Life in the way meant that people were forever moving from state to state, and it was always wonderful to reconnect with old friends.

Of course most of these 'old friends' have gone missing since the way imploded, but that's another discussion.

I can't remember.. was it 1996, or 1997?, There was a complete lunar eclipse. I remember watching the moon that night, there were only three of us standing there watching knowing what was going on.

Mr. Hammeroni, I remember a lunar eclipse - a full one too, at the Rock- I think it was 1989. The eclipse peaked sometime around 10:30 or 11 pm. I sat down with my fiancée in the grass in a dark area, either near the parking lots or the basketball courts - can't recall the exact location, but it was dark enough. We laid back and watched the eclipse and several "shooting stars."

Per

I think it's rather sad that this thread didn't get as much attention as the worst things about the ROA thread. I do remember having so much fun there from 75-85, but after that I was Way Corps and all I did was work.

75-85 though were some of the greatest times in my life.

My ROA years were from '75 through '94. That included two wow send offs, and two returns.

I have many positive experiences at those events - mostly related to seeing old friends, making new friends, the music, food - mostly the social aspects of the times. Things like the "Doulos Dennis Root Beer Saloon" with root beer and peanuts - at Sidney in '76. I can remember the music group "Agape" (or maybe a portion of the group) doing some numbers at the "saloon" on an evening or two. Also, the "Ambassador One" fly-overs were pretty cool - at least they were at the time I saw them.

Not so much fun memories included: wet tents and floating Bibles, over-zealous b.p.'s with the colored caps, and the heat. I did enjoy working the "people movers" - those blue covered wagons where I had the pleasure of working as a "conductor." I got to see lots of buddies I might never have met up with just hanging out, and also help keep people safe while the tractor was pulling us down the road.

Working the drink stand was ok (good in that I got to see lots of people), but I could not understand why we weren't allowed to have a cup or two of drink (on the house, as it were) during the shifts.

Per

Mr. Hammeroni, I remember a lunar eclipse - a full one too, at the Rock- I think it was 1989. The eclipse peaked sometime around 10:30 or 11 pm. I sat down with my fiancée in the grass in a dark area, either near the parking lots or the basketball courts - can't recall the exact location, but it was dark enough. We laid back and watched the eclipse and several "shooting stars."

Per

It was 1989 if the attendance dropped by 80% since the previous year, it was the last one where Acts 29

played, lcm had that prop that cut up the theme on the podium (speaking the truth. In what?),

and everyone who was vaguely related to vpw was trotted out on the mainstage at some point like

they were the Kennedy clan or something.

I don't remember a lunar eclipse. But I might not have even if it was there.

I'd have noticed a SOLAR eclipse, but then, who wouldn't?

For me,

I think most of what I honestly enjoyed were spontaneous, and not official.

I really liked buying wares from the average "Joe Believer", and came away with a

considerable haul back when.

Without any real "official" status, I sat in on a number of teachings that were really

good-with or without a podium.

Just meeting other "Joe Believers" was often a LOT of fun.

=========

I remember when stuff would come together and work before anyone had a chance

to legislate God out of the picture.

One year, a returning WOW was coming off the field, and flew back a day before

the ROA begins, not sure how he was going to get there or spend the day before.

But he prayed about it.

There was precisely one other person going to that event on that plane.

Their seating assignments put them next to each other.

So he was promptly invited to attend the event, by someone who already had

a ride, a place to stay for the night, dinner planned, and didn't mind sharing.

I know this because I was the other person on that flight.

(By even 1989, that was HISTORY, NOSTALGIA for me. Big and little things seemed

over. Now it was all staged.)

Lol, I loved the roa. Every year my wow family would meet for a reunion. I would meet one day with my old *dakota* twig....Every line you stood in was a chance to make friends with those around you. I felt like I was a part of the coolest group of folks on the planet.

I felt like nobody loved God or each other as much as we did. I thought that *the return* was going to pale in comparrison....lol

The fly over was wonderfull, the band singing it`s good to be home again....made me proud ...lol they did a good job on me...

The food was fabulous, wow burgers, biscuts n gravey, the farmers market for fresh plums...mmmmm

I loved working. I did garbage pick up for many years. If it started raining we just made slickers out of garbage bags and continued with out hearts light, contented to be serving the body of Christ.

The only really bad year was when the water contaminated and so many of us got so seriouls ill...the storms that flattened tent city wwere terrifying, but I always looked back in wonder at how God had taken care of us...so even the *negatives* ...lol seemed ok

OH and the music!!! The dances in the big top Sammy Preyn, Bob Stanly, Joyfull noise...I thought it was all HUGE fun.

The book store, the place where believers sold their stuff.....

Funny enough, the teachings at night that were supposed to be the focus generally were to be endured. I thought maybe I was unspiritual or something because it was so torturous to sit through so many hours on those hard chairs.

Edited by rascal

The comment about the lunar eclipse got my interest, since I'm a bit of an astronomy nerd.

According to a chart on NOAA's website, there was a lunar eclipse on August 16, 1989 which reached its maximum at 11:08pm EDT. And as for the shooting stars, the Perseid meteor shower peaks each year around August 13th. It must have been quite a sight.

By the way, there will be a lunar eclipse on the night of Saturday, October 27, 2007 visible from North America.