GreaseSpot Cafe

did you ever hear wierwille apologize for anything ?

excathedra

listener brought this up on another thread (hope you don't mind listener)

In all the years I knew vp, I never once heard a sincere apology come from his lips.
--

to me this is interesting. most human beings apologize now and then.

listener went on to say:

But I did hear a lot of reasonings about why I/we believers, were missing the mark. He had a real problem with humility

and could not humble himself if his life depended on it. So instead, he forced others to humble themselves before him.

I think from his earliest years he had an insatiable need to be seen as important in the eyes of others, no matter what the cost was.

again, most human beings don't always have to be right or place the blame on others.

i have countless incidents regarding veepee, psycho geer, martindale, other "leaders" where they just couldn't bring themselves to apologize, but instead rationalized or "shifted the blame" (is that from "dealing with the adversary")

so, what was your experience ?

i personally find it a "little" odd that may of these "christ-like" people wouldn't apologize, unless of course they were never wrong....

Edited by excathedra

VP humbled himself before me, and said he would teach me the word as it had not been ... oh nevermind, you're not going to sign my green card anyway ...

Was VP manic? From wikipedia ...

Mania
is a severe medical condition characterized by extremely elevated
mood
, energy, and unusual thought patterns. There are several possible causes for mania, but it is most often associated with
bipolar disorder
, where episodes of mania may cyclically alternate with episodes of
clinical depression
. Though the elevated mood and energy level typical of mania could be seen as a benefit, mania generally has many undesirable consequences and has the potential to be very destructive. Classic symptoms include rapid speech, racing thoughts, decreased need for sleep,
hypersexuality
euphoria
, grandiosity, irritability, and increased interest in goal-directed activities. Mild forms of mania, known as
hypomania
, cause little or no impairment; more severe forms of mania do cause impairment and may even feature grandiose
delusions
or
hallucinations
. Mania and hypomania have also been
associated with creativity
and artistic talent.
[1]

Just a thought ... it seems to fit in many ways

and why would you apologize for being God's chosen one?

Mania
mood
, energy, and unusual thought patterns. There are several possible causes for mania, but it is most often associated with Mania and hypomania have also been
and artistic talent.
[1]

That explains Athletes!

Dunt dunt dunt dunt Daaah . . .

Edited by Bolshevik

Exie

Did'nt Vp say in PFAL that he spent time with a man that said he never sinned for some time and He, VP caught him in many sins to emphasized that we all sin to lead into the part of the class where he VP was teaching that sin is sin to God and that all sins no matter what they were, were equal to God ...no small sins or larger sins? He emphasize this to proof that all sin was the same so Perhaps he, then may have used this to minimize his own guilty conscience away continually and to then perhaps have his conscience seared to the past caring, or acknowledging. He sure talked the talk; but didn't walk the walk!

It is MHO that because so many of us talked the talk and walked the walk God truly gave the increase and for no real sustancial other reason. What do You think?

Apologize: 1. express remorse for something; to say you are sorry for something that upset someone else. 2. acknowledge that something is not ideal 3. Defend formally; by writing or speech.

Humility: 1. modesty or respectfulness 2. having an unassuming meek nature.

The antonym for Humility is arrogance: 1. Contemptuous pride 2. A strong feeling of proud self importance that is expresswd by treating other people with contempt or disregard

It would seem that he either, full well knew the means of these words and did not care or he was far less informed than he claimed to be!

listener brought this up on another thread (hope you don't mind listener)

Not at all, exie. It is an interesting subject.

My viewpoint.....

I was on the receiving end of his rath many times. Even when I would explain how the facts showed my actions to be correct, he would flame on about intentions and motivations and such...but would NEVER appologize or admit I (or anyone else) was right. He would mearly slide off into some undefineable logic (read spiritual discernment) that overrode the situation such that I had to be reproved anyway. He could be unreasonably vicious and heartless.

And don't think for a minute that I am bitter. I'm not...I resolved that issue years ago. I'm angry that there are those who seem to think he was some important spiritual leader, or a nice old man. Well, he was not. He was an oportunist who, in his religious field of work, was smart enough to recognize the ground floor opportunity laying before him, which was to take advantage of the Jesus movement and the honest work of other learned researchers. He built his ministry by stealing the efforts of others and claiming them as his own. In that, he never changed. He stole from everybody...in many ways...as many of the GSers know.

thanks listener

--

and hammie, i dont think "I wish I were the man I knew to be" is an apology AT ALL

--

oh and what was that crock about the poor alcoholic ? i forget now. did he get down on his knees or something to ask god for forgiveness ? ugh

--

did he ever apologize to a fellow human being ?

--

we all wish we were the man (all inclusive noun ha) we knew to be

but we still say we're sorry when we're wrong

get what i'm saying ?

(apologies as usual to those who already heard me tell this)

the time a friend of mine called from europe (having a nervous breakdown) because gutmore geer told him he was never welcome at the way

i called wierwille thinking he would back me up and get psycho bus driver to apologize

you know what veepee said and i quote --

"how long do i have to suck your corps asses ???????"

I always saw it then as an attempt at humility, the great MOG in believing and power saying he wished he was greater in his walk with God, because if the great MOG could say that, how much more farther do us saps need to aspire, now I see it as a mock attempt at humility period.

I'd be hard pressed to recall ANY 'leader' apologizing for anything. The ManofGod, is never wrong, even when He makes a 'mistake'. If the peon believers were only walking in harmony, they would know to follow His directives without question, even if it is wrong you will still be 'blessed' for 'doing the Word'.

I have to say that there were some corps that I knew, that were honorable and human, and could I could relate to on a real, 'human' level. But even among those, it was usually in the context of a personal relationship. When push came to shove in official way settings, it was imperative that they were NEVER wrong.

I know I apologized more in my way years, than I have in the rest of my life combined. Usually for forgetting some detail like dust on the shelf, or taking the blame for someone not showing up for a class.

Mania
mood
, energy, and unusual thought patterns. There are several possible causes for mania, but it is most often associated with
bipolar disorder
, where episodes of mania may cyclically alternate with episodes of
clinical depression
. Though the elevated mood and energy level typical of mania could be seen as a benefit, mania generally has many undesirable consequences and has the potential to be very destructive. Classic symptoms include rapid speech, racing thoughts, decreased need for sleep,
hypersexuality
euphoria
, grandiosity, irritability, and increased interest in goal-directed activities. Mild forms of mania, known as
hypomania
, cause little or no impairment; more severe forms of mania do cause impairment and may even feature grandiose
delusions
or
hallucinations
. Mania and hypomania have also been
and artistic talent.
[1]

You didn't underline "decreased need for sleep" -- Doc Vic prided himself on only need a few hours of sleep a night. Made it sound like it was because God had him so full of the holy spirit he was refreshed and energized that way, rather than the normal mortal way of sleep (such a waste of time, dontcha know).

Or "increased interest in goal-directed activities" -- which defines just about every activity or program ever put out by twi

I think you might be on to something here...
Edited by TheHighWay

I don't remember any leader apologizing but I sure do remember being told to write apology notes myself.

Dear Branch Coordinator

I apologize for giggling while you were teaching the greatness of God's Word during the branch Sunday morning fellowship. No, I don't think the Word of God is funny, it was the morning sun coming through the windows behind you that illuminated your bristle hair cut and made you look like a porcupine in heat or something. I apologize for being so easily distracted from the greatness of God's Word and promise to try not to get possessed again.

Yours truly

Full Circle

hey hiway ... yeah, and there are different degrees of manic I suppose. I didn't underline anything, those are just words that are linked to other wikipedia articles I think.

I would have underlined "grandiose delusions or hallucinations." Man of God for our time? Snow on the gas pumps? I doubt he really hallucinated that at the time, but he may have "hallucinated" the memory ... whatever that would be called ... delusional I guess.

good letter Full Circle ... maybe we should all write a letter like that

Dear VP

I'm sorry for giggling about your early demise. ...Despite what a deluded SOB you were, I should have more respect for the dead, no matter how vile and putrid your life may have been ...

something like that?

Edited by rhino

VPW's pride and ego did seem to dominate his character. The only times I can remember anything even close to an apology would be when he didn't think he was getting through to us with a teaching and would say something like "I wished I could teach this better". Legend has it that he also apologised to the first non-smoking corps. He had tried to quit himself and wasn't able too. Someone here must have been in that Corps meeting and can verify or deny it...