GreaseSpot Cafe

Another Ph.D. in the family

GeorgeStGeorge

My stepson John had his thesis defense Tuesday afternoon. He's in a combined M.D./Ph.D. program at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. His mom and I went up to Houston to see the seminar he gave on his research, and I couldn't have been prouder. He's done some excellent work on the use of Gleevec to kill and inhibit a particular type of stomach cancer, and he presented it skillfully. After the open session, he had a closed session with his committee, who, of course, passed him. As soon as all his paperwork clears, he'll be officially a Ph.D. He will continue to work in the same research group as a postdoc until August, when he'll start his last year of med school. He's not only the first Ph.D. from Prof. Trent's group, but he's the first Ph.D. from the UT Sarcoma School!

George

post-33-1196309203_thumb.jpg

My stepson John had his thesis defense Tuesday afternoon. He's in a combined M.D./Ph.D. program at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. His mom and I went up to Houston to see the seminar he gave on his research, and I couldn't have been prouder. He's done some excellent work on the use of Gleevec to kill and inhibit a particular type of stomach cancer, and he presented it skillfully. After the open session, he had a closed session with his committee, who, of course, passed him. As soon as all his paperwork clears, he'll be officially a Ph.D. He will continue to work in the same research group as a postdoc until August, when he'll start his last year of med school. He's not only the first Ph.D. from Prof. Trent's group, but he's the first Ph.D. from the UT Sarcoma School!

George

Congrats... btw, I know I'm at risk of revealing my ignorance, but WHO would be the first? Might that be you, GSG?

Congratulations.

I have been thinking that the games some people such as yourself so artfully play here in the Greasespot Reading Room help create and maintain mental alacrity. And you are a fine example of that.

Thanks for letting us know.

Being proud of ones children is the greatest feeling in the world :)

hearty congrats to john!!!!!.......gastric cancer is one of the most deadly.......and horrible to its victims!.........glad to know we have another dedicated warrior out there to fight this deadly disease!!!!................congrats to you and the countess, too, george!.........thanks for raising up such a fine son!!...................peace.

George,

I'm late on this thread but I'd like to throw some congratulations out there too. An MD/PhD degree still means something now-a-days... unlike a lot of degrees handed out at many colleges and universities. The young man has done well.

sudo

I'm sure that you gave his some very good advice George.

Congrats to the both of you and to him as well!